Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's looking like my input shaft seal has taken a crap and allowed fluid into the bell housing of my tranny and taking my clutch out with it. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they had anything else wrong with they tranny. I kinda want to know everything im going to need before i pull the tranny . At this point if its just the seal im going to need a new clutch disc and the seal.

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
My car is at the shop getting a new clutch put in as we speak. I talked to my mechanic yesterday, and he said that this same seal was shot on my car as well, causing some irregular play with the input/output shaft in addition to some oil leaking. He told me that he is hoping that a new seal will fix the leak, but if it doesn't, I will probably have to take my transmission to someone.

Once I get the car back and/or talk to him next, I'll get some more information from him and forward it on to you. Good luck.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car is at the shop getting a new clutch put in as we speak. I talked to my mechanic yesterday, and he said that this same seal was shot on my car as well, causing some irregular play with the input/output shaft in addition to some oil leaking. He told me that he is hoping that a new seal will fix the leak, but if it doesn't, I will probably have to take my transmission to someone.

Once I get the car back and/or talk to him next, I'll get some more information from him and forward it on to you. Good luck.
Thanks. Keep me updated

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
I got the car back this afternoon, and I'm not much of a happy camper at this point. After putting the new seal in, there was still some excessive play with the input/output shaft, and the grinding noise only got louder.

At this point, I'm in the market to either replace my current transmission or rebuild it. I need to get on this quickly too because with the excessive play in the shaft, the seal is going to wear out quickly. If and when this happens, fluid will leak out all over the brand new clutch, so that is where I'm at right now. I'm going to make some phone calls tomorrow and do some research before I move forward at all.

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
A bad bearing on the input shaft can cause excessive play, oil leaking and other clutch related issues. Are you sure the leaking isn't from the rear main oil seal?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A bad bearing on the input shaft can cause excessive play, oil leaking and other clutch related issues. Are you sure the leaking isn't from the rear main oil seal?
yeah, im positive it isnt a rear main. It is def. gear lube from the tranny. My tranny was good for the last 105k miles of abuse and racing and has seen boost and over 300wtq for the last 20k miles. I put some drag radials on for the track a week ago and it was fine all day at the track and then a few days later right before i was about to put my street tires back on this happens. Im pullin the tranny out tomorrow and going to see if there is any play and what the cause of the seal going was. My new clutch came in yesterday, so ill throw that in tomorrow. Ill keep yall posted.

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
Have you noticed anymore clutch judder than normal?

The gears in the transmission try to push each other apart under load. You increased the load by adding the drag radials. This increased load on the bearing can cause it to become loose and move in an elipse instead of a circle. The input shaft bearing right behind the input shaft seal also has to support the weight of the clutch disk and the input shaft sticking out of the transmission. A bad input shaft bearing could very well cause the seal to start leaking.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you noticed anymore clutch judder than normal?

The gears in the transmission try to push each other apart under load. You increased the load by adding the drag radials. This increased load on the bearing can cause it to become loose and move in an elipse instead of a circle. The input shaft bearing right behind the input shaft seal also has to support the weight of the clutch disk and the input shaft sticking out of the transmission. A bad input shaft bearing could very well cause the seal to start leaking.
thats what i was thinking. Hopefully Ill find out tomorrow

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had the same exact problem. I just got my car back, broken bearing on the input shaft took out my front seal(twice), and took my clutch with it the second time. Sounds like maybe the same issue?

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
I'm going to hopefully be getting a new transmission this week and putting it next weekend. My concern is that the seal will have gone bad already (got the car back last Thursday), and damage to the clutch will have resulted.

Also, as a side note, I've been noticing that I will get kicked out of fourth gear every so often if I'm cruising in that specific gear. I haven't been kicked out of any other gears. Is this transmission related?

·
Registered
207 Posts
if your seal needs replaced, your input shaft bearing is most likely gonna need replaced. the seals dont just start leaking all on their own. the same thing happened to my car, seems to be a common occurrence on 3g's.. chrysler isnt really known for their tranny's. anyway, your probably going to need to tear the trans apart (if youve never done anything like that i recommend having a shop do it). do you hear a rattling noise? kind of almost sounds like a shot throwout bearing?

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
i don't hear any noise yet, just a leak. how much can i expect to pay a shop to do it if I bring them the tranny?

·
Registered
207 Posts
well i ended up trying to rebuild it myself.. mistake. tranny ended up going out anyway after i got it all back together. so i ended up buying a used tranny with 60k miles on it for 800 bucks and had the shop i worked at put everything together, new clutch, flywheel, pressureplate, trans, and a bunch of random shit. everything all said and done cost me close to 2 grand. its not a good time whatsoever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts