Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Install Stuck KYB AGX's + Sportlines

1671 Views 23 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Tearstone
Do i really need to cut the bump stops down like it says in the how to in the garage(KYB AGX's + Progress Springs install) or can i just leave them alone.
Anyone whos done this please let me know thanks..Oh and how much should a mechanic charge me to install these in my eclipse I have a guy that will install them for $120 and im her in Pasadena, TX by Houston if anybody had any suggestions.

Thanks,
Jose
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Someone just put up an istall PDF on a similar setup. If your mechanically inclined i'd say do it youself. As far as the bump stops go, I'll be taking my setup off next weekend to put on bigger bump stops because my springs constantly are bottoming out w. the 1inch stop i have there. A member recently told me to cut off 1 inch for every inch you drop the car. I will be trying this. Hopefully it improves my situation.
Someone just put up an istall PDF on a similar setup. If your mechanically inclined i'd say do it youself. As far as the bump stops go, I'll be taking my setup off next weekend to put on bigger bump stops because my springs constantly are bottoming out w. the 1inch stop i have there. A member recently told me to cut off 1 inch for every inch you drop the car. I will be trying this. Hopefully it improves my situation.
Let me know what happens and if it makes it any better ok.
When I had the Sportlines, I cut the bump stop to the point that it was only the round part of the foam. approx. 1ish"
Let me know what happens and if it makes it any better ok.
I'll let you know. I went under it a few days ago and there are actually red scuff marks throughout the springs from the springs bottoming out!
$120 isn't bad if you are not broke. I would have paid that just to save the hassle. I suggest cutting an inch or inch and a half from the bottom of the bump stops. I did with my Progress springs and havent had any issues. Keep in mind that you may require a rear camber kit after the car has been dropped. Mine needed one bad.

You will NEED to get the wheels realigned after dropping the car. Failure to do so will result in torn up tires, steering wheel vibrations, pulling to the side, etc. Get the alignment ASAP or your tires will never be the same. Make sure you have $ for the alignment before actually dropping the car!
$120 isn't bad if you are not broke. I would have paid that just to save the hassle. I suggest cutting an inch or inch and a half from the bottom of the bump stops. I did with my Progress springs and havent had any issues. Keep in mind that you may require a rear camber kit after the car has been dropped. Mine needed one bad.

You will NEED to get the wheels realigned after dropping the car. Failure to do so will result in torn up tires, steering wheel vibrations, pulling to the side, etc. Get the alignment ASAP or your tires will never be the same. Make sure you have $ for the alignment before actually dropping the car!
:agreed:
I'll let you know. I went under it a few days ago and there are actually red scuff marks throughout the springs from the springs bottoming out!
:scratch: Can you explain this a little more? I dont see how anything would be hitting and scuffing the springs.... or is it the spring touching itself that is causing the marks? Like the bottom of a coil coming in contact with the top of a coil?
Do i really need the rear camber kit and also if i do will i need the front to???
Always cut your bump stops, otherwise you'll end up having to take it all apart again when you bottom out around town.

I charge $100 for installs and I throw in a rear camber kit installed with the deal. $120 is not bad.

Check this out on gathering the parts to make your own rear camber kit, which is necessary for every drop you do with the Eclipse: http://tearstone.com/shop/DIY-Rear-Camber-Kit-2000-2005-Eclipse/Stratus.html
:scratch: Can you explain this a little more? I dont see how anything would be hitting and scuffing the springs.... or is it the spring touching itself that is causing the marks? Like the bottom of a coil coming in contact with the top of a coil?
Honestly IDK how it could do this either. I did have no bump stops, because the small one i had actually wedged themselves up into the mount, but my springs are black and the kys's are obviously red and there were mysterious red scuff marks as far up as 1/2 way up the spring. Only thing red is the KYB's.
I charge $100 for installs and I throw in a rear camber kit installed with the deal. $120 is not bad.
That's a good deal considering rre and ingalls camber kits are 80 ish.. 20 bucks in labor is nothing.
I'll be taking my setup off next weekend to put on bigger bump stops because my springs constantly are bottoming out w. the 1inch stop i have there.
:scratch: Are you not buying the H-Techs I've got after all? Seems like you're doubling your work, if so. If not, ...should I just make a F/S thread?
That's a good deal considering rre and ingalls camber kits are 80 ish.. 20 bucks in labor is nothing.
You shouldn't be paying $80 for rear camber kits, when you can pick up $12 worth of bolts at ACE or Home Depot that provide the ability just fine.
:scratch: Are you not buying the H-Techs I've got after all? Seems like you're doubling your work, if so. If not, ...should I just make a F/S thread?
I swear, I thought you were talking to yourself. I get your two names mixed up so much.
You shouldn't be paying $80 for rear camber kits, when you can pick up $12 worth of bolts at ACE or Home Depot that provide the ability just fine.
:agreed: Go to Home Depo get some harded bolts and some washers. Did the job perfect for me!
:agreed: Go to Home Depo get some harded bolts and some washers. Did the job perfect for me!
I have over 2500 views on my site alone for those DIY camber kit instructions, I know there are a lot of other people out there doing the same thing :agreed:
I have over 2500 views on my site alone for those DIY camber kit instructions, I know there are a lot of other people out there doing the same thing :agreed:
Yea man, I used your site when i did mine. Very Easy DIY (unless you have all the NY winter rust like i did).
Yea man, I used your site when i did mine. Very Easy DIY (unless you have all the NY winter rust like i did).
Luckily in FL it's rare I come across those cars. But when I do, it's nearly impossible to remove the rear shocks from the spindle that connects to the axle. Usually I have to unbolt the spindle from the axle hub and take to a vise and beat it out.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.