Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Fuck salt.
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is my first post on club 3g, and after awhile of trying to remember High School math I finally found out the derivative of x^2... hahhaa. Anyways, I'm putting JLM 6000k HID's in my eclipse Headlights and Foglights. Before I went all out doing it, I was wondering if there's anything specific I should watch out for or do before I replace the foglight bulbs. Will I have to remove the bumper to do so??

Thanks so much,
and sorry if this is a noob question.. I'm sure I'll get better.

***Oh and I know there are different foglights amongst the 3g's, mine are the square ones that seems to be able to be removed from the front by a screw and two prongs.

·
concha de tu madre!!
655 Posts
are you changing just the bulbs or the whole foghlight assembly?, either way get your car on jackstands, and get to work. It's not hard at all, you just gotta find a way of supporting your new foglights(if that's what you're doing). I've replaced just the bulbs in the past without getting the car on stands or removing the bottom panels. There is a "How to" in the garage section.

·
Fuck salt.
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh! Thanks a lot! I searched but couldn't find anything, I'll check it out! I'm only replacing the bulbs and putting HID's in place of the current ones.

·
Shocker Lite
1,990 Posts
isn't that illegal? :dunno:

Pretty much everywhere you go it is illegal to put hid lights in a car that did not come equipped with them from the factory. Putting hid lights in stock housings is just retarded as it will blind oncoming traffic, so if you do it and get pulled over - good for you :D

I highly suggest a set of projector headlights & foglights if you wish to lower your chances of getting pulled over with HID lights. At least then you're not blinding oncoming traffic and attracting as much unwanted attention.

·
Titanium Spork
9,045 Posts
Pretty much everywhere you go it is illegal to put hid lights in a car that did not come equipped with them from the factory. Putting hid lights in stock housings is just retarded as it will blind oncoming traffic, so if you do it and get pulled over - good for you :D

I highly suggest a set of projector headlights & foglights if you wish to lower your chances of getting pulled over with HID lights. At least then you're not blinding oncoming traffic and attracting as much unwanted attention.
but, but, but.. that costs money to buy the right parts for the application.:p

·
Fuck salt.
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that fact about illegal HID's.. I had no idea! I've actually been looking into buying Halo projector headlights. I never quite understood how they worked. I know there are two openings in it... maybe? One looks like a rounded glossy eye, and the other I have no idea. I know how to wire the halo itself, but would I need separate hi/low beams??

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Thanks for that fact about illegal HID's.. I had no idea! I've actually been looking into buying Halo projector headlights. I never quite understood how they worked. I know there are two openings in it... maybe? One looks like a rounded glossy eye, and the other I have no idea. I know how to wire the halo itself, but would I need separate hi/low beams??
The "round glossy eye" on the sonars is the low beam. That is the projection light. Usually most people just put a HID in those ones I believe.

·
Fuck salt.
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks so much! You've greatly helped me out. Not sure if you'd know this either, but what is the other one used for? High beams???

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Hey thanks so much! You've greatly helped me out. Not sure if you'd know this either, but what is the other one used for? High beams???
If we are talking about the Sonars, the small black glossy eye is the low beams (they have the halo around it), then the big chrome circle housing is the high beams.

Now if we are talking about the Anzo's, for some reason they put the projection (round black glossy eye) in the high beams (same with the halo).

·
Fuck salt.
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, I'm looking at the sonars. If I used single beam HID's in the projector, how would I wire high beams to the high beams housing?

·
Fuck salt.
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like it, thanks again for your help .. I'll probably just end up putting bixenons in

·
Fuck salt.
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In your stock headlights? Because HID's in the eclipse stock headlights have (from what I've heard) a blinding glare to oncoming traffic.
No no no no. I learned about all that in the HID thread and other threads. I'm getting dual halo projector headlights. I'll put the HID's in there.

·
Titanium Spork
9,045 Posts
No no no no. I learned about all that in the HID thread and other threads. I'm getting dual halo projector headlights. I'll put the HID's in there.
you didn't learn much if you think you can put bixenons in dual halos... or that you are even going get dual halos.

you have to put the right bulb in the hole. dual halos use h1 for the high, and another h1 for the low.

there is no such thing as an H1 bixenon.

this has been covered countless times, on how to wire HIDs and still use the halogen highbeam. there is no "follow these pictures" to it, because many HID setups have different plugs. the easy way is ti look at your harnesses and follow what wires do what. then you wire the low beams to the HID and the high beams to the high beam halogens. if that is beyond your ability then you need to get professional help. if you fuck around and don't know what you are doing you can become that idiot that blows all the wiring as has NO headlights.

again: you wire the lowbeams to the lowbeams (hid ballasts) and the high beams to the high beams.

·
Shocker Lite
1,990 Posts
Or you could just be a man and do a projector refit in to the stock housings. Not only would it be brighter and clearer with a more distinct color line cutoff, it would also be unique to your car since most people don't want to spend the time to do it.

·
Fuck salt.
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you didn't learn much if you think you can put bixenons in dual halos... or that you are even going get dual halos.

you have to put the right bulb in the hole. dual halos use h1 for the high, and another h1 for the low.

there is no such thing as an H1 bixenon.

this has been covered countless times, on how to wire HIDs and still use the halogen highbeam. there is no "follow these pictures" to it, because many HID setups have different plugs. the easy way is ti look at your harnesses and follow what wires do what. then you wire the low beams to the HID and the high beams to the high beam halogens. if that is beyond your ability then you need to get professional help. if you fuck around and don't know what you are doing you can become that idiot that blows all the wiring as has NO headlights.

again: you wire the lowbeams to the lowbeams (hid ballasts) and the high beams to the high beams.
Sorry that I misunderstood, but thank you for clarifying. It wouldn't be hard to figure out how to wire separate highbeams and lowbeams. Just making sure I understood you correctly; h1 xenon HID's in the projector, and h1 (what wattage?) halogen in the highs. Seems pretty simple. Just didn't think it out.

·
Fuck salt.
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Or you could just be a man and do a projector refit in to the stock housings. Not only would it be brighter and clearer with a more distinct color line cutoff, it would also be unique to your car since most people don't want to spend the time to do it.
This being my first mod other than HU, I don't feel too confident haha, thank you for the suggestion though

·
Titanium Spork
9,045 Posts
Sorry that I misunderstood, but thank you for clarifying. It wouldn't be hard to figure out how to wire separate highbeams and lowbeams. Just making sure I understood you correctly; h1 xenon HID's in the projector, and h1 (what wattage?) halogen in the highs. Seems pretty simple. Just didn't think it out.
well, H1 HID's (make sure you get HID's.. they have a ballast (a box, about the size of you palm), and not blue ricer bulbs, that SAY hid... cause they aren't).

then sone nice H1 halogen for the high beam (the headlights come with them, but you CAN put better ones in).

that is for the dual halos... i have them and they suck though, i would recommend a different type fo headlight if you didn't already order them. sonars are good (the ones with one halo on the outside bulb.. the low beam) or depos (they have NO halo, but the best light output).

stay the heck away from anzos though. they have the halo (and projector) on the high beam, with a regular reflector for the low, which is stupid.

BUT i forget what bulbs go in sonars or depos.. but a quick search on here (the little orange button) will show you all you need to know.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts