Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i looked for a thread on this but all I could find were threads talkin about the best seats. and well Im just gonna use sparco because my friends all love them.

so I have the Stock 3g eclipse seats, and brackets. how hard would it be to install a sparco bracket, not a universal bracket its specific for a 3g eclipse, and a racing seat with a four point harness? this alot to ask in one question but thats what i wanna do.

and is it possible to install a 4 point seat harness on stock seats? thanks so much guys.

ps- im gonna buy everything off andysautosport.com so if you need specifics on the brackets, seats, and harnesses, i can easily get those.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I have sparco seats and 3-point sparco harnesses; however the previous owner installed them.

If you get the 3G-specific brackets it should be a piece of cake although my seats rubbed the door panels so I cut them open on the seam, cut out some of the padding and resewed them shut.

The harnesses look a bit trickier. It looks like there a bolt on one side of the seat to attach the harness to, but on the other side it's bolted onto the frame of the car, I'm not sure if the whole was there already or the previous owner made it. In the rear I'm not sure what the harness is fixed to but here is a pic

Good luck! And let me know if you have any questions!

·
Medic
2,354 Posts
This is posted in the Performance section. As we both know seats dont add performance.
You should do alittle research on the company you are about to buy from. I have heard numerous horror stories about them. I have seen a 3g ricer locally with a 4 point harness using the stock seats. Whether or not he installed them to a point of them being safe or just for looks i do not know.
Otherwise i wish you luck.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I didnt notice where this was posted.
Mods, please move...

·
Titanium Spork
9,045 Posts
I have sparco seats and 3-point sparco harnesses; however the previous owner installed them.

If you get the 3G-specific brackets it should be a piece of cake although my seats rubbed the door panels so I cut them open on the seam, cut out some of the padding and resewed them shut.

The harnesses look a bit trickier. It looks like there a bolt on one side of the seat to attach the harness to, but on the other side it's bolted onto the frame of the car, I'm not sure if the whole was there already or the previous owner made it. In the rear I'm not sure what the harness is fixed to but here is a pic

Good luck! And let me know if you have any questions!
you know that is not the best... or even very safe way to do it, right? bolting the seatbelts to the back seat like that is better than the floor right behind the front seat, but still it is not inline correctly. you are SUPPOSED to use a harness bar. any time you move the mount down (like to where you have it) you have changed the angle, to make it compress your spine in accident. that mounting system is just asking for a slipped/crushed disk. stock seatbelts, while no looking as cool, would be safer in an accident, as opposed to what you have there. safety equipment installed incorrectly is not safe. go ahead and flame me... but get in the car, strap in, and slam your body forward.. you will see what i am talking about. i have seen 2 people get screwed up royally when they got in a collision with harnesses mounted in that exact way, and the doctors said it was the belt's mounting points that did it. many people have said "but if i add a harness bar, i can't use my rear seats anymore" well, they are pretty unuseable the way they are now with those belts going through them.. plus why would you have rear passengers in a RACE car? if you are going to do it... do it right.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
ps- im gonna buy everything off andysautosport.com
Have fun dealing with a company rated F by better Business Bureau. I really don't understanding why so many kids are drawn to AAA.

Andy's Autosport - Automobile Parts and Supplies Wholesale - Milpitas, CA | BBB Business Report

NTEGRATED STRATEGIC RESOURCES, INC. PAYS $75,000 FOR
ADVERTISING AND DELIVERY VIOLATIONS

Santa Clara County District Attorney Dolores A. Carr announced today that her office has settled a consumer protection lawsuit against Integrated Strategic Resources, Inc., DBA Andy’s Auto Parts “(Andy’s),” an internet retailer of aftermarket automobile parts and accessories. The action arose out of an investigation by the District Attorney’s office.

The lawsuit involved Andy’s failure to honor the Mail Order Rule that requires a merchant to ship products within 30 days after accepting payment for the sale of goods, unless a different delivery time is specified or the merchant offers a refund or replacement. The complaint alleges that Andy’s, located in Milpitas, accepted payments for sales of auto parts but failed to deliver them to customers within the promised time. Andy’s then charged unlawful cancellation or restocking fees on purchases when customers, who sometimes had waited months for their parts to be delivered, tried to cancel the sales or send back nonconforming products. Andy’s charged customers $144,784.00 in fees between 2006 and 2009 in violation of state law.

·
R.M.D.S.
483 Posts
you know that is not the best... or even very safe way to do it, right? bolting the seatbelts to the back seat like that is better than the floor right behind the front seat, but still it is not inline correctly. you are SUPPOSED to use a harness bar. any time you move the mount down (like to where you have it) you have changed the angle, to make it compress your spine in accident. that mounting system is just asking for a slipped/crushed disk. stock seatbelts, while no looking as cool, would be safer in an accident, as opposed to what you have there. safety equipment installed incorrectly is not safe. go ahead and flame me... but get in the car, strap in, and slam your body forward.. you will see what i am talking about. i have seen 2 people get screwed up royally when they got in a collision with harnesses mounted in that exact way, and the doctors said it was the belt's mounting points that did it. many people have said "but if i add a harness bar, i can't use my rear seats anymore" well, they are pretty unuseable the way they are now with those belts going through them.. plus why would you have rear passengers in a RACE car? if you are going to do it... do it right.
so the best place to mount a harness is on a harness bar.
the second best place would be the rear seat.
Am I right?:dunno:
what about the rear strut bar? will the straps be long enough?

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts

·
R.M.D.S.
483 Posts
Thanx :yesway: that helped. So attatching them to the back seat is not safe. I have a coupe so a harness bar would fit better.
I had come across this thread before(http://www.club3g.com/forum/automotive-sale-wanted/95432-fs-harness-bar.html) but the guy doesnt sell them anymore..
I have a DCsports strut bar. will I be able to wrap the shoulder straps to it? or will i still have to look for a harness bar? :eek3:

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
Thanx :yesway: that helped. So attatching them to the back seat is not safe. I have a coupe so a harness bar would fit better.
I had come across this thread before(http://www.club3g.com/forum/automotive-sale-wanted/95432-fs-harness-bar.html) but the guy doesnt sell them anymore..
I have a DCsports strut bar. will I be able to wrap the shoulder straps to it? or will i still have to look for a harness bar? :eek3:
At the end of that thread I linked you the last post had 2 links to NRG Innovations who make harness bars for the 3G. Any other setup is not safe.

·
R.M.D.S.
483 Posts
At the end of that thread I linked you the last post had 2 links to NRG Innovations who make harness bars for the 3G. Any other setup is not safe.
Alright I appreciate the help :yesway: I was trying to look for a set up that would still keep my rear seats functional
Thanx (now...how do you e-rep ppl? :ninja2:)

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
Alright I appreciate the help :yesway: I was trying to look for a set up that would still keep my rear seats functional
Thanx (now...how do you e-rep ppl? :ninja2:)
Actually with that setup the rear seats would still be functional and usable. As far as you giving out e-rep, thanks but don't worry about that now. You need at least 2 green squares for your e-rep to count positively or negatively. If you really want to know read this: http://www.club3g.com/forum/forum-information-suggestions-issues/82125-ereputation-erep-faq.html

·
Titanium Spork
9,045 Posts
when it comes down to it, the strut bar is NOT a peice of safety equipment. there is NO safety regulation on it, at all. they can sell it with weak, or even broken welds if they want to. no-one will get hurt, they would just have to replace it. plus it is not made to take the stresses in the direction, and and at the points you are wanting to attach belts to.

essentially, you would find out that it was bad idea as you flew through the windshield.

·
R.M.D.S.
483 Posts
when it comes down to it, the strut bar is NOT a peice of safety equipment. there is NO safety regulation on it, at all. they can sell it with weak, or even broken welds if they want to. no-one will get hurt, they would just have to replace it. plus it is not made to take the stresses in the direction, and and at the points you are wanting to attach belts to.

essentially, you would find out that it was bad idea as you flew through the windshield.
yea.. you make sense :p
I'll make an effort to get the harness bar as well..

·
I hate stance
10,295 Posts
I'm bumping this because I'm unsure of the info on here. I have a set of seats, harnesses, and a harness bar to to in my car. But after doing a lot of research, I'm thinking of leaving the car stock.

I was reading on multiple forums (which could be just hear-say, but who knows) that if you HAVE a harness bar, if you were to ROLL the car over, the harness bar would prevent the seat from collapsing down and pretty much cram your head between the roof and the seat, most likely breaking your back and neck, maybe even skull.

I'm interested to hear input from you guys, because at the moment I'm not about to put my seats in the car.

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,041 Posts
I'm bumping this because I'm unsure of the info on here. I have a set of seats, harnesses, and a harness bar to to in my car. But after doing a lot of research, I'm thinking of leaving the car stock.

I was reading on multiple forums (which could be just hear-say, but who knows) that if you HAVE a harness bar, if you were to ROLL the car over, the harness bar would prevent the seat from collapsing down and pretty much cram your head between the roof and the seat, most likely breaking your back and neck, maybe even skull.

I'm interested to hear input from you guys, because at the moment I'm not about to put my seats in the car.
Yep totally right this why I built a roll cage instead of running a harness bar this season

·
I hate stance
10,295 Posts
I may have a solution, well... a semi solution

For shits I put in my universal harness bar to check for fitment. It fits fine and actually sits pretty low. If you were to use reclining seats, you have a good arc measurement before the seats touch the harness bar. If one were to roll over and the roof caved, I think there should be plenty of reclining room to prevent you from getting your head pinned between the bar and the seat. I'll post pics up later.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts