Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
$$XL Music$$
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I started to get done a complete LED conversion of my interior lights but came across an issue with the gauge cluster 194 bulbs. Apparently after swapping the stock bulbs with the LED's, the 194's bulbs spots doesn't visibly shine when looking at the front face of the cluster. But if I look behind the cluster, you can see that the LED bulbs do light up. :S Now this wouldn't normally be a problem, but when I put the stock bulbs back in, they don't light up the cluster at all even though the LED's do light up. I already searched around the forums and no one has had this particular problem.

I did check all of my fuses, and I know the green board is fine behind the cluster, not shorted out or anything. I also know my car has a few electrical problems (such as the rear wiper working only if I slam the trunk..lol)...but this issue is just weird. I'm going to order new LED replacements to see if that solves the problem...but in the meantime I can't really tell how fast I'm going at night or anything. Let me know if anyone has an idea about what's happening here.

·
174 Posts
Ok let me try and understand.

So you can tell the LEDs are burning, but they don't light up the cluster? And the stock bulbs do?

edit: Like I learned the hard way, and many other people.. did you disconnect the battery when you were doing this?

·
Premium Member
6,548 Posts
Well if the stock bulbs do not work now, there is a greater issue than the color of the LED.
Did you wetsand the back of the speedo? That would help get light through.

·
$$XL Music$$
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if the stock bulbs do not work now, there is a greater issue than the color of the LED.
Did you wetsand the back of the speedo? That would help get light through.
I didn't wet sand yet, and yes the bulbs are blue....hmmmm...but yeah I did disconnect the battery before anything. It's weird because I've swapped the bulbs on my other cars without a problem.....I'm going to recheck everything and analyze the cluster......

But yeah, the bulbs are burning but looks like the light isn't reaching the end....

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had the same problem with mine.. still have a couple hot spots but since I cleaned up the back it doesnt look to terrible.

·
$$XL Music$$
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so basically I still haven't solved this issue. I ended up doing some custom wiring to make the 6 main cluster led's turn on with an alternative power source (not connected to the dimmer switch).....I figured I would jsut replace the cluster instrument later on in case mine is burned out.... Now I went to do the clockpod conversion, replaced the stock bulbs with perfect replacement bulbs an now the clock pod works but neither the blue led nor stock bulbs light up.....this thing is starting to piss me off...lol....What do you guys think could be the cause? amybe a bad ground somewhere?

·
Titanium Spork
9,045 Posts
lets all get on the same page.

post links to EXACTLY what you used.
post pics of EXACTLY what you did.
post pics of EXACTLY what is wrong.

we might be making assumptions of things you did right, when they are simple fixes, that you actually did wrong.

·
FutureSleeper
352 Posts
Mista Winston. lol. what up. it's Chris. you found me on facebook.
Ok so I've come up with some things that this could possibly be. some are dumb but w/e sometimes it's the stupid shit.

1. make sure your dimmer switch is plugged back in when you go to turn the lights on (or else they won't work)

2. You said that even the stock lights don't shine through when you out them back in? yet they're lighting up? That just doesn't make any sense considering if they're lighting up. they will show through. unless you've stuck something in between the gauge face and the light to prevent the light from showing through.

3. When you do this you'll have to get rid of the orange film on the back of the gauges. there is a how-to in the forums of how to do this. search it. And it will say to use (and i also suggest it) VHT aircraft remover as apposed to wet sanding. It's very strong though so be careful

4. Check, double check and triple check all your fuses with a test light. Make sure you have a good ground.

5. Where did you purchase these bulbs from? What brand are they? Did you get just the bulbs or did you get the bulb and socket?

·
$$XL Music$$
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mista Winston. lol. what up. it's Chris. you found me on facebook.
Ok so I've come up with some things that this could possibly be. some are dumb but w/e sometimes it's the stupid shit.

1. make sure your dimmer switch is plugged back in when you go to turn the lights on (or else they won't work)

2. You said that even the stock lights don't shine through when you out them back in? yet they're lighting up? That just doesn't make any sense considering if they're lighting up. they will show through. unless you've stuck something in between the gauge face and the light to prevent the light from showing through.

3. When you do this you'll have to get rid of the orange film on the back of the gauges. there is a how-to in the forums of how to do this. search it. And it will say to use (and i also suggest it) VHT aircraft remover as apposed to wet sanding. It's very strong though so be careful

4. Check, double check and triple check all your fuses with a test light. Make sure you have a good ground.

5. Where did you purchase these bulbs from? What brand are they? Did you get just the bulbs or did you get the bulb and socket?
Hey Chris, and Scarr thanks for the feedback. Basically all of my fuses are good, and I'm going on the assumption that the green panel on the back of the gauge instrument is just burnt out. As for the bulbs I bought them off several independant merchants on ebay who work with glowstreet and interior led's.com . The bulbs came without the sockets so I used the stock ones. In the meantime I did what one of the other members on here did, which was independently wire each bulb to a custom switch for easy on/off action. I'm jsut going to replace the whole gauge instrument after I bought some glow gauges and work with that.

Thanks guys fro all the help.

·
FutureSleeper
352 Posts
Hey Chris, and Scarr thanks for the feedback. Basically all of my fuses are good, and I'm going on the assumption that the green panel on the back of the gauge instrument is just burnt out. As for the bulbs I bought them off several independant merchants on ebay who work with glowstreet and interior led's.com . The bulbs came without the sockets so I used the stock ones. In the meantime I did what one of the other members on here did, which was independently wire each bulb to a custom switch for easy on/off action. I'm jsut going to replace the whole gauge instrument after I bought some glow gauges and work with that.

Thanks guys fro all the help.
I hope you're going to just switch the circuit boards when you buy a new cluster right? assuming that is the problem

·
$$XL Music$$
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hope you're going to just switch the circuit boards when you buy a new cluster right? assuming that is the problem
Yeah..that's what I had in mind. Prob just get a replacement cluster of a stratus if I can't find one for an eclipse at the junkyard.

·
Titanium Spork
9,045 Posts
white paper and wax paper make GREAT filters to spread the light evening to help dull out hot spots.
i actually MADE a set of white gauges that would light up blue before.. like from scratch. i used white velum (expensive drafting paper) with the faces scanned and then printed on them (looked great) and a blue translucent file folder was cut to fit behind.

amazingly it looked awesome, and the light was perfectly diffused. regular bulbs worked fine, since i used the blue file folder.

just a thought.

·
Premium Member
6,548 Posts
Things like that work... i put two layers of x-ray film in my clockpod (was using white LEDs, but wanted a cool white appearance)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts