Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to have an intercooler that is too big?

I dont' think my intercooler is as efficient as my needs require. I was just thinking, since I have an approx. 22x6x3 inch intercooler. I don't want to make it any taller, because that would require me to either A. cut my crush bar, or B. move it forward and remove/modify my bumper.

So.... My other option is to go wider or thicker. Now here:
Bell Intercoolers Air to Air Intercooler Assemblies
they have intercoolers that are 4.5" thick and even 6" thick. Is there a possability to get an intercooler that is too thick?

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
yes there is such thing as an intercooler to big, once it goes above a certain size for a certain pressure it in turn becomes a "interheater"

·
Registered
339 Posts
I always had the idea of rigging up a water to air intercooler in conjunction with the fmic...I think that would be better than getting a huge intercooler...

·
Registered
32 Posts
As quoted from "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell

"Choosing the thickness of the intercooler core is a bit of a juggling act similar to the turbulators. The juggling act is brought about by the fact that the second half of any core does only one-fourth the work.
adding thickness to the core will indeed improve efficiency, but the gains become less and less. Another negative effect is brought into play by increasing the thickness: the increasing difficulty of getting the ambient air to pass through the core. Essentially, then, the drag coefficient of the core goes up as thickness increases. A clever way to package cores where frontal area is scarce and depth is abundant is the staggered-core IC.
--Rule-- When viewing intercooler designs, regard thick core layouts as less than well thought out.
--increasing core thickness does not proportionally increase heat transfer capability. Each increment of core thickness will receive hotter cooling air.

-Staggered-core Intercooler-
in a situation where frontal area space for an IC is limited but abundant depth exists, the staggered-core IC should be considered. Basically, the staggered-core IC is just a thick core unit with the back half moved aft a bit. Some fresh air is ducted to it, while the used air from the front core is sent around the second core. A compact, high-flow IC can be built with the staggered-core concept. Efficiency can be high, because the rear half of the IC is made to do its share of the workload."
(Maximum Boost, Pgs 58, 65-66)

I looked up your issue in the book, haha i just strait copied it for you guys. hope this helps :fever:

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, I'm kinda tapped out, I just spent another $400, approx on 2 Bridgestone Potenza's, so I could put the enkei's on. I'll probably just run lots of meth for now...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts