Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so im not really sure if this is where i should post this but im planning on painting my dash, door panels, and center console. i have paint to match my exterior as well as black and a nice silver to accent but i dont want the texture... i want a smooth glossy look. what would be the best way to smooth out the texture on the various dash pieces or should i buy/fabricate new pieces?:confused:

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
Remove all the pieces you plan on painting. There is a How-To in the garage section. Then...
You could get some lower grit sand paper to sand down the sections to make them smooth the way you like. Then, wipe them down with some alcohol to be sure everything is clean. I'm not sure what kinda paint you, but as long as it can be used on plastic, then just tape the areas off and spray it on. Throw a clear coat on over that to get the glossy look you want. If it's not smooth, then you might need to do some wet sanding.
I've never did it before, so I don't know if primer is necessary or not, but I am sure someone else will chime in soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not sure i havent actually checked yet but i think that the piece above the glove box isnt hard plastic.. but im using the same paint the body shop used on my new bumper so when im done it should look damn good. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright thanks ill give that a shot.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
This is a service I offer and I find myself doing quite often for various vehicles, including the 3G.

Really - there are two options. You can sand it smooth and then paint. Personally, as much as you think this will look good, the pieces you choose to paint will not blend with the remaining pieces in the car and it will look odd.

The alternative, you sand very lightly and prep the material, and paint over it with light coats and clear coat with several coats and do wetsanding in between. By doing this, you can maintain the "textured look" to blend with the remaining parts in the car but also achieve a nice smooth feel.

Here's a coupe shots. One of my car, and the other are the pieces pulled out of a car that I did for a Titanium Pearl 3G. If your interested in this service and pricing, email me at [email protected] and we can discuss offline.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmm well i havent gotten very far yet.. i have the paint and i have enough to paint every surface but what i noticed is i cant really do anything about the area above the glovebo xwhere the airbag is.. its a soft surface and its textured. what i was going for is to have the whole interior no texture. absolutely smooth like the exterior of the car. with the majority of peices being the same color and finish as the outside.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have looked at stuff like that before too but i got a great deal on enough paint to get my hood repainted get my fenders painted and for the price of doing that at any other bodyshop in town i get enough paint to do my interior. not just my dash either. i have to wait a while untill the snow melts so i can drive my trans am while i do all this, but im going to take every peice of visable trim out and paint it. im just not sure how im going to get it to work like i want it to haha...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i do like how that pillar and console look hijacker.. if i cant do it how i imagined it i think i could "deal" with doing it like that. haha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts