Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been extremely patient in pulling the trigger on an iPhone because I have said from day one that I want to wait for the second generation. The past month or so, however, has seen me growing increasingly impatient. I really can't find a whole lot of info besides the fact that the CEO of at&t is expecting a 3G version in the "2nd half" of 2008.

What are everyones opinions regarding the iPhone only. Yes, I know there are haters, but I am curious (specifically) if I should go ahead and purchase one now or continue crossing my legs and dancing around the office in an effort to keep my bladder from releasing all over my pants.

Thanks.

-----
Here are some articles I have found:

Next Generation iPhone to Offer 3G, WiMax, and 24 Hour Talk Time? | The iPhone FAQ

Goldman Sachs Predicts Two iPhone Upgrades for 2008 | The iPhone FAQ

Second Generation 3G iPhone Release Delayed? | The iPhone FAQ

·
Symetrical AWD
11,216 Posts
Hard to say since Jobs keeps a fairly tight lid on projects. I think he's suppose to make announcements on new products this week at the MacWorld Expo.

·
350Z (Z33)
2,205 Posts
I am in the same boat. I am waiting for the V.2 which I read its going to be upgraded to a 50gb hard drive weight less and be 0.2 inch smaller

·
Um... Yeah!?
32,055 Posts
I've read the thing with AT&T, and since it's coming from their CEO, it should be a lot more reliable than other sources of rumor. I think you should wait.

·
*insert funny title*
5,375 Posts
...expecting a 3G version in the "2nd half" of 2008.
They are putting out an eclipse version? Will it come with an adjustable aluminum wing on it? :fawk:

I agree with Glenn. Since info is coming from the CEO, wait on the purchase.

·
R.I.P Shavana :(
2,769 Posts
Nothing is for sure, but from everything that I have read I don't thing there will be anything larger than a 16gb version. 3G is nice, but the edge works just fine for me. It seems everywhere I go there is Wifi anyway. I am a cell phone snob and a least buy two a year. I bought this the month is came out and cannot even think of a phone I would purchase to replace this. My is jailbroken so It does everything I need. When the 1.1.3 update gets broken it will be even better. When the new version comes out I will give mine to my wife and buy another one! :)

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
Nothing is for sure, but from everything that I have read I don't thing there will be anything larger than a 16gb version. 3G is nice, but the edge works just fine for me. It seems everywhere I go there is Wifi anyway. I am a cell phone snob and a least buy two a year. I bought this the month is came out and cannot even think of a phone I would purchase to replace this. My is jailbroken so It does everything I need. When the 1.1.3 update gets broken it will be even better. When the new version comes out I will give mine to my wife and buy another one! :)
Same here as well.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
I have been extremely patient in pulling the trigger on an iPhone because I have said from day one that I want to wait for the second generation. The past month or so, however, has seen me growing increasingly impatient. I really can't find a whole lot of info besides the fact that the CEO of at&t is expecting a 3G version in the "2nd half" of 2008.

What are everyones opinions regarding the iPhone only. Yes, I know there are haters, but I am curious (specifically) if I should go ahead and purchase one now or continue crossing my legs and dancing around the office in an effort to keep my bladder from releasing all over my pants.

Thanks.

-----
Here are some articles I have found:

Next Generation iPhone to Offer 3G, WiMax, and 24 Hour Talk Time? | The iPhone FAQ

Goldman Sachs Predicts Two iPhone Upgrades for 2008 | The iPhone FAQ

Second Generation 3G iPhone Release Delayed? | The iPhone FAQ
Have you demo'ed one yet? I was all for the phone until I did - after that, I hate it.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts

Thanks.
It seems as if Apple comes out with newer versions of their iPhone and iPods all the time, making their previous generation products a lot less valuable. If you do wait for the upgrade, just know a few more months later, we're all sure there will be another drastic change with the iPhone causing consumers to spend more money to get the "latest" technology. My advice to you is if you like the phone, buy it..

1.1.3 will most likely not be jailbroken for a long time. 1.1.2 hasn't even been broken yet...people who jailbreak new iPhones with the 1.1.2 software just degrade back down to the 1.1.1 software. I've never seen a 1.1.2 jailbreak.

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
i got mine for darn near free unlocked and it simplifies things alittle, especially with the full internet thing, very helpful, and that it has the music right on it with good disc space (could be better). but the keyboard is a pain when texting, if they could lay it sideways for texting it would be alot easier.

·
2,769 Posts
It seems as if Apple comes out with newer versions of their iPhone and iPods all the time, making their previous generation products a lot less valuable. If you do wait for the upgrade, just know a few more months later, we're all sure there will be another drastic change with the iPhone causing consumers to spend more money to get the "latest" technology. My advice to you is if you like the phone, buy it..

1.1.3 will most likely not be jailbroken for a long time. 1.1.2 hasn't even been broken yet...people who jailbreak new iPhones with the 1.1.2 software just degrade back down to the 1.1.1 software. I've never seen a 1.1.2 jailbreak.

What are you talking about? 1.1.2 is jailbroken, had been for a while now.
Here is one way to do the jailbreak, but there are more.
Hell, 1.1.2 is even unlocked.

·
V8 > 3G
2,717 Posts
My roommate got the iphone so i got the Sprint Touch. In all honesty i think the touch is the same if not better but after having a touch screen phone with all the gadgets i found that i barely use it for anything other than calling/texting. I say you hold out for V2

·
2,769 Posts
1.1.3 announced, no version 2.

* Maps with locations
* Webclips
* Customizable home screens
* SMS multiple people at once
* Chapters, subtitles, and language support in video
* Lyrics support in audio.

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,305 Posts
Unlocked means you can use the iPhone with any carrier that uses a sim card, aka a CDMA network - AT&T, T-Mobile, Movistar, Vodafone, etc

·
2,769 Posts
Since I assumed only ATT can be used I haven't studied the iphone at all. What does Jailbroken mean? Also what is being unlocked when you say 1.1.2 is unlocked?

Thanks.
Unlocked= You can use it with carriers other than At&t.

JailBroken= The phone is now able to be customized with third party software. There is allot of third party software out there. When you Jailbreak most ways usually include installing a software App called Installer. Installer is an easy point and click application to install all third party applications. The two bigs applications for actually modding the phone is "Summerboard" and Customize. Summerboard is mainly used for theming your phone and Customize is used for changing ever other part of your phone; everything! The list of applications for it is to large for me to list but some of the main ones I have on my phone are
  • Iradio-internet radio
  • Dressup-Fun photo application
  • Swirly MMS-Multimedia function that is missing
  • Sengsong-Email your music to people and the ability to send your music to your ringtones.
  • Sketches-artpad
  • Pocketmoney-$ app
  • iflickr-send photos automatically to flickr.
  • Listen-put phone next to speaker and it will tell you the song and artist.
  • OpenTTD-Like railroad tycoon, can't think of name.
  • PSX emulator-getting better
  • Nes emulator-works great
  • Guitar Hero-Awesome
  • Iphysics- Physics game
  • Rss feed-Great rss feed application

And soon coming, a video recorder.

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah they showed the video camera app on attack of the show a couple months back. I dont know why apple didnt just release it that way...

1 - 20 of 154 Posts