Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I used to be on this site over 10 years ago although I cannot remember what my username or password is anymore. I own an Eclipse GT '01 where it has roughly 200k miles on it. Currently I see the valued at 1600 on KBB, at this moment I am unable to get the car to pass smog because it seems that I have two Cat's that need to be replaced (one is the front main cat). I also have a few oil leaks that need to get patched up where labor alone will be at least $200. Because of these issues and the fact that I live in california, I am thinking of getting some money back for my car not being able to pass smog and use that + repairs money toward a new vehicle.
Ideally, I would like to keep my car for a little while longer, although it is starting to feel like it is more trouble than it is worth. Any thoughts from you all of what you would do in my situation?

It is about 1800 for my cats to be replaced, the title is salvaged, and just lately (from cleaning the engine) the car is beginning to heistate for some odd reason. Also i I did turn it in, I believe I have an Nvidia N1 catback exhaust system from 2012 and I still have my original exhaust, would the n1 be worth anything or should I just let it go with the car as well?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
566 Posts
I understand what you are dealing with. I also live in California, and thier smog regs. can be a real issue. Mine was parked for over 4 years because it would not pass emissions. I got it back in shape last winter and it is now road worthy and legal. The cats would be the big issue. They ARE expensive. Especially the front ones [in the manifolds]. Can you possible find the in a wrecking yard ? the other things such as oil leaks and minor running issues can be delt with pretty easy. If you decide to fix it, and I can help, say so. ...J.D.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
709 Posts
We all eventually reach that somewhat sad day when we realize "our baby" isn't worth keeping any longer.
Iffn I was you, I'd sell the N1 separately, and depending on it's condition and your asking price, I might be interested?

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT
473 Posts
Weomce back! IMHO these cars aren't really an investment. But they can be reliable transportation, fun, and bring back a certain amount of nostalgia. All great reasons for keeping one.

You can get replacement cats from Rockauto.com for about $180 each. Oil leaks aren't than expensive to fix if you can do the work yourself.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I understand what you are dealing with. I also live in California, and thier smog regs. can be a real issue. Mine was parked for over 4 years because it would not pass emissions. I got it back in shape last winter and it is now road worthy and legal. The cats would be the big issue. They ARE expensive. Especially the front ones [in the manifolds]. Can you possible find the in a wrecking yard ? the oter things such as oldleaks and minor running issues can be delt with pretty easy. If you decide to fix it, and I can help, say so. .

Hey White -- where are you located? In No Cal or SoCal? I also have a 2001 Spyder GT. I haven't driven mine in at least 3 weeks because of the heat here in SoCal.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
566 Posts
I am in San Bernardino County. Yes. The heat has been brutal. We have broken heat records set back in the 1950's. I haven't driven much either, but my Spyder runs well. ...J.D.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Is it just me, or does anyone else NOT get the notion of avoiding a convertible in hot weather???
Ahhh...Yeh. The weather station on my roof said it topped out at 118deg. in the sun yesterday. The one on my shady front porch said 111 ! Not exactly "top down weather". ...J.D.

·
Registered
566 Posts
This year you do not see very many convertibles or motorcycles out and about. Too hot for anything but the lizards. I like to use mine in the mountains with the top down. Probably be going up there again in a few weeks. We have a vacation home up there. Born and raised in So.Cal...J.D.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah ideally I'd like to keep using it if possible. From the wrecking yards, the repair shops claim that its not legal to get one used anymore. I tried looking it up and came up with this here. They claim its also pretty difficult to get my main manifold front cat because of how specific the part is and the trading prices spiking, although would something like from rockauto work?
I'm glad you were able to keep yours going though, looks good! and mine seems to run well otherwise so I'd like to do the same thing if possible.

I understand what you are dealing with. I also live in California, and thier smog regs. can be a real issue. Mine was parked for over 4 years because it would not pass emissions. I got it back in shape last winter and it is now road worthy and legal. The cats would be the big issue. They ARE expensive. Especially the front ones [in the manifolds]. Can you possible find the in a wrecking yard ? the other things such as oil leaks and minor running issues can be delt with pretty easy. If you decide to fix it, and I can help, say so. ...J.D.

View attachment 45367

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We all eventually reach that somewhat sad day when we realize "our baby" isn't worth keeping any longer.
Iffn I was you, I'd sell the N1 separately, and depending on it's condition and your asking price, I might be interested?
I feel you, it's close to that time for mine. If I do end up turning in the car, I'll try to part the exhaust separately and come back here!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Mine has a few issues but runs well. We just use it for short trips. I have other vehicles so I can keep it as a toy. ...J.D.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Weomce back! IMHO these cars aren't really an investment. But they can be reliable transportation, fun, and bring back a certain amount of nostalgia. All great reasons for keeping one.

You can get replacement cats from Rockauto.com for about $180 each. Oil leaks aren't than expensive to fix if you can do the work yourself.
Thanks!

I know we have 3 cats for our cars, one main front (manifold), one universal, and one other as well....would these be the ones I need to purchase? Due to being in California I looked at the ones that are CARB compliant. would it be This one, and this as well?

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
709 Posts
Thanks!

I know we have 3 cats for our cars, one main front (manifold), one universal, and one other as well....would these be the ones I need to purchase? Due to being in California I looked at the ones that are CARB compliant. would it be This one, and this as well?
For inspection purposes, they won't be able to tell the difference between EPA and carb. However, most online stores will not ship epa cats to Cal, so you would need to drive out of state to buy one. The two you linked are correct, but effn expensive!!!
Btw, only the front and rear manifold cats have O2 sensors, upstream and downstream, but the third main cat, the largest one in the middle of the tailpipe, does not have O2 sensors.
Putting $1k into cats is worth it on a 200k mileage car assuming it's in good condition otherwise (engine compression, rust, etc).

I don't think using epa cats on a carb compliant car is gonna make a difference in performance, but may be other members can chime in on that?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts