Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 eclipse gs with around 147,000 miles. I want some more power out of my engine so I was considering nitrous. Is this possible to do on stock internals or will i blow my engine?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are you serious?

There is a search button. This question has been asked more times then 4 people can count on their hands. I'm probably not exaggerating.

I will give you this one, but others may no be so kind, keep this in mind as you continue to visit club3g. In short: you'll be okay depending on certain factors.

1. How much nitrous? 50-75, sure. 100+ and you're probably pushing it with stock internals. I know the V6 rods (or pistons i forget which) are weak.
2. How often? Track days 1-2 times a month. Sure, go for it.
3. What mechanical condition is the car in? Is your timing belt off a couple teeth? Are you throwing codes? Do you only have compression in half your cylinders? You probably shouldn't
4. Wet or dry? To my understanding, wet is safer but more costly.

Take all these things, and more, under consideration when using nitrous.

And remember, SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH!

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
This is the rs/gs section or in other words I4 not v6:ninja2:

Its not the internals you have to worry about, its the welds on the intake. They blow atleast thats what i heard from my buddy Vin.

Are you serious?

There is a search button. This question has been asked more times then 4 people can count on their hands. I'm probably not exaggerating.

I will give you this one, but others may no be so kind, keep this in mind as you continue to visit club3g. In short: you'll be okay depending on certain factors.

1. How much nitrous? 50-75, sure. 100+ and you're probably pushing it with stock internals. I know the V6 rods (or pistons i forget which) are weak.
2. How often? Track days 1-2 times a month. Sure, go for it.
3. What mechanical condition is the car in? Is your timing belt off a couple teeth? Are you throwing codes? Do you only have compression in half your cylinders? You probably shouldn't
4. Wet or dry? To my understanding, wet is safer but more costly.

Take all these things, and more, under consideration when using nitrous.

And remember, SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH!
pistons. Gts worst than Gt for having higher compression. Diamante worst than both.

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
On an engine with that many miles, I'd leave it alone and not push it. Rebuild first then think about more power. Using nitrous on an engine with this many miles just to get more power is cutting corners and dumb. Take care of your engine first before you blow it to pieces. That's just my advice, take it or leave it, I don't really care.

·
2011's are gay
4,791 Posts
my advise, if you have the money, get an evo motor, turbo, etc. ready to swap, then play with the nitrous and have fun until the motor goes, then drop in new motor. hell, why don't you be the guinea pig and tell us how much nos we can use before we have to have mr. torretto rip apart the block and replace the fried piston rings

·
Waiting to spool
3,237 Posts
hey theres my buddy vin. Thats a only pic hes in tokyo now. He gave up the nos and living his life a 1/4mile at a time, now he lives his life a tokyo building at a time.
You know your sarcastic and rude remarks at EVERY thread get really old. You're not the 3g king, so don't act like it.

Back on topic, if your engine is in good health then you should be perfectly fine running a WET shot. Dry shots aren't worth the money on a 3g, stick with a wet kit. Also what are you going to be using it for? If you will be using it on the street you might as well just leave the boards. Nitrous should be track use only. Also consider the cost of refilling the bottle. Around here it's about $35-50 to fully fill a 10lb bottle and that 10lbs (depending on many variables) might last 2-2.5 straight minutes if you're lucky.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
You know your sarcastic and rude remarks at EVERY thread get really old. You're not the 3g king, so don't act like it.

Back on topic, if your engine is in good health then you should be perfectly fine running a WET shot. Dry shots aren't worth the money on a 3g, stick with a wet kit. Also what are you going to be using it for? If you will be using it on the street you might as well just leave the boards. Nitrous should be track use only. Also consider the cost of refilling the bottle. Around here it's about $35-50 to fully fill a 10lb bottle and that 10lbs (depending on many variables) might last 2-2.5 straight minutes if you're lucky.
Is your car turbo'd? NO. Does your car have nitrous? NO. Is your car fast? NO. Which leads me to, why do you think you know anything about turbo's or nitrous? Because you "read" about other peoples builds.:noplease: Let me guess you also think nitrous is flamable?

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Is your car turbo'd? NO. Does your car have nitrous? NO. Is your car fast? NO. Which leads me to, why do you think you know anything about turbo's or nitrous? Because you "read" about other peoples builds.:noplease: Let me guess you also think nitrous is flamable?
Your post consisted of no technical information or opinion, you simply tried to be funny.

He's reads other people's builds so he doesn't have to make the same mistakes and ask the same questions that you have had to during your build.

Also, what does someone's car being fast have to do with their technical knowledge or opinion?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I asked questions on my first turbo setup and havnt asked question sense. And yes i was just trying to be funny. Real car knowledge cant be learned through reading, it has to be learned through first hand experience. Yes you can read and pick up a few things and see problems that other had and you can try to avoid them BUT reading and doing are very different.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Just sell the car before you blow anything up to go fast. A slow banger is still going to be a slow 4 banger even with nitrous.
thts me! and dont do it man, bc me and the mad scientist are kinda busy right now and we cant replace ur pistons that ur gonna fry

·
Exacerbated Member
5,414 Posts
I asked questions on my first turbo setup and havnt asked question sense. And yes i was just trying to be funny. Real car knowledge cant be learned through reading, it has to be learned through first hand experience. Yes you can read and pick up a few things and see problems that other had and you can try to avoid them BUT reading and doing are very different.

Now before you get your panties all up in a bunch please note that I am strictly addressing the part of your statement above where you say can’t be learned.

That sounds like an argument made by someone who can’t read. Or maybe someone who can, but the only thing he does read is graphic novels.

So, you have figured out that you can’t actually gain super powers from Comics?

Well in the real world a great majority of technical expertise is acquired through reading. A brain surgeon learns what he knows from books. He only learns how to move his hands to accomplish what he knows is the correct thing to do by being shown and with practice.

Just as the trained mechanic knows to look in the book to get the proper torque for a certain bolt or to a chart for how wide the smear of plastic gauge should be and then from experience knows which end of the torque wrench to pick up.

I will be the first to admit there are plenty of backyard mechanics out their but seriously, the ones who don’t rely on printed material to verify what they have been told are the ones who for some reason are always fixing their cars and not driving them.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
OK first, would you rather a brain surgen that has never operated on a real brain before and has only read books, or a brain surgen with 20 years of operating experience?

Reading Torque spec's are total different from learning though reading. Someone that has experience doing say head gaskets might not know the certain specs for a certain car and my have to look them up. But he still knows how to do a head gasket non the less. Where someone that reads "how to do a head gasket" and has never done one before is way more likely to screw something up and over look anything/everything that wasnt in the thread they read on "how to do a head gasket". Thats why at a tech school they do alot more hands on then reading out of books.

·
Exacerbated Member
5,414 Posts
The first, I would rather have a 30 year old brain surgeon than a 50 year old brain surgeon, because I know from reading, that the younger brain surgeon has the more recent education that includes many hours of labs and is backed up by an experienced surgeon. You don’t become a licensed brain surgeon on the staff of a hospital by ONLY reading books, but reading newer books, gives you more and better knowledge.

Also I made it clear I was challenging your statement “Real car knowledge can’t be learned through reading.” I do get that YOU don’t learn from reading because you read my response and didn’t learn anything. But I can quote you many bits of real car knowledge that I did get from reading. Here is an example. The 3.0L 3G clutch pedal assembly does not have a return spring like the 2.4L does. Instead it has what is called a turnover spring.

·
Exacerbated Member
5,414 Posts
Many years ago in one of my engineering texts I read that a return spring stores energy in a linier vector and a turnover spring stores energy in a circular vector. Real knowledge, as opposed to “Oh, whatever.” knowledge.

It doesn’t matter if you can go to the part store and ask for a return spring for a GT and get the right part, because the parts guy is looking it up and reading that you are calling it the wrong name and just gives you what you really need.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.