Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently put on a 6g74 intake manifold on my 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT (automatic) which came off of a Mitsubishi Magna/Diamante. I read through a ton of posts about the swap on here which were really helpful and let me know exactly what to expect. I even managed to get the EGR tube to the new intake manifold, thanks to the posts on here. I only did the upper manifold, not the lower, and kept the stock TB for the sake of simplicity. Since I had the manifold off I thought I'd also change the spark plugs, wires, rear valve cover gasket, and intake manifold gasket while I was at it. It took about 2 days to do it everything.

Anyway, ever since the swap I've been having two issues that are really annoying. First, when I press on the gas I hear a ticking sound? It only happens when I press on the gas and only in Drive. Any thoughts as to what that might be? It never had that tick before. I tried getting to tick in Park, N, and Reverse, but it only happens in Drive which makes it hard for me to see where the sound is coming from. From what I can tell, it sounds like it's coming from the passenger side of the engine (timing belt side). As soon as my foot is off the gas the ticking sound stops.

Second issue, at around 1500-2000 RPM with foot steady on the gas I see a small RPM surge without me pressing down on the gas? Is that normal? It happens consistently and never had that issue before the swap.

Most of the issues people talked about on here after the swap were related to vacuum leaks and misfires, I checked my short term fuel trims and they are perfect, both banks at 0, and it runs great it's just those two problems that I've been giving me a headache for the past few weeks.

Could the spark plugs be over-torqued? I did it by hand, to be honest. I used Autolite Iridum XP3923 for the back and NGK BKR5ES11 for the front.
Maybe a misplaced intake manifold gasket?
I read somewhere that fuel injectors start ticking loudly when they are going bad, I haven't replaced them in years. I was working around that area during the swap and may have put my weight on them for a while. Could that be causing the ticking?

I just need some ideas on what to look for before I take the manifold back off as it is time consuming to do that.
Any thoughts or ideas as to what might be causing either one of these or both would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Have you tried using Seafoam or fuel injector cleaner? Symptoms sound more likely to be injectors than lifters. A good cleaning may do the trick for a while till next replacement.
Try removing the timing cover to listen more closely, if you think its coming from there. May need a second person to rev the engine while you listen.
BTW, is there a specific reason you used different spark plugs front and rear???

EDIT: Have you noticed any performance improvement with the Diamante intake manifold?
RPM surge could be sensor or fuel pump related.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"One must imagine Sisyphus happy."
Haha, this is the first thing that came to mind when I saw your comment. I like the reference. Yeah, performance wise. it has been better than it was before! Seems like there is no struggle to get air in the engine and it has improved throttle response. I replaced the fuel pump a month before this swap in an attempt to solve a lean condition. It ended up not being the problem, but the entire fuel pump assembly is new. As for the intake manifold, no joke, the first thing I noticed about this intake was that there was literally no place for the MAP sensor which confused the hell out of me. I ended up drilling a hole there and connecting a vacuum tube to it and that's been working ever since. I've used fuel additives in the past, but not since this swap. I will def. try seafoam to see if the ticking stops. Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Check the evap purge valve solenoid. It's located on the passenger side of the intake plenum. They can make a rhythmic ticking sound, but I don't think that means it's going bad. Try putting the front end in the air on jack stands so the car can be in drive and you can listen for the sound. You can also try disconnecting the electrical connector on the solenoid and see if the ticking goes away.

·
Registered
207 Posts
"One must imagine Sisyphus happy."
Haha, this is the first thing that came to mind when I saw your comment. I like the reference. Yeah, performance wise. it has been better than it was before! Seems like there is no struggle to get air in the engine and it has improved throttle response. I replaced the fuel pump a month before this swap in an attempt to solve a lean condition. It ended up not being the problem, but the entire fuel pump assembly is new. As for the intake manifold, no joke, the first thing I noticed about this intake was that there was literally no place for the MAP sensor which confused the hell out of me. I ended up drilling a hole there and connecting a vacuum tube to it and that's been working ever since. I've used fuel additives in the past, but not since this swap. I will def. try seafoam to see if the ticking stops. Thanks!
“I leave Sisyphus at the foot of the mountain. One always finds one's burden again. But Sisyphus teaches the higher fidelity that negates the gods and raises rocks. He too concludes that all is well. This universe henceforth without a master seems to him neither sterile nor futile. Each atom of that stone, each mineral flake of that night-filled mountain, in itself, forms a world. The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”--Albert Camus
----------

Sisyphus was happy at least once...when he seduced Autolycus’s daughter, Anticleia, thus fathering Odysseus.
For that sin and others, and for cheating Death not once, but twice, he was condemned to the futility of rolling that boulder up the hill. Having myself cheated Death twice, I very much relate to the myth of Sisyphus and thus chose it as my avatar many years ago. The notion of a Sisyphean task (futile) haunts and epitomizes my life.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Get rid of all those spark plugs. You should never mismatch brands and especially never mismatch electrode types. Also you HAVE to use the 74 throttle body with the 74 intake. Didn't you notice the throttle body gasket doesn't line up correctly? Grab the 74 throttle body and idle air control connector from the junkyard. You'll have to splice in the 74 IAC connector but it's only 6 wires.

A vacuum leak would likely explain the surge. And hopefully the ticking you're hearing isn't engine knock...

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
566 Posts
You did not mention what year the intake came from.. Does the word Mivec have any thing to do with it.. ? I can`t wait for the future when we will be able to clone @Murkrow so we all can have one... He`s one smart cookie...My idea so I get first dibs

·
Registered
756 Posts
You did not mention what year the intake came from.. Does the word Mivec have any thing to do with it.. ? I can`t wait for the future when we will be able to clone @Murkrow so we all can have one... He`s one smart cookie...My idea so I get first dibs
The mivec intake doesn't bolt up to the 72/74 lower intake

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
566 Posts
I am getting a bit confused with this post. I know the 2001 Spyder GT came with the 6G72 intake . The original post said that they installed a 6G74 intake top to the 6G72 lower and use the original throttle body...Looking at the picture provided with the post made me assume that was a Mivec intake manifold because of the straight tubes ...

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Personal luxury car

Am I wrong in my assumption and could some one please correct me if I am wrong.. If this is the case , what does a Mivec intake look like ...Thank you in advance ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts