Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
solved! iv got 99 problems but cranking is #1

solved issue. timing belt off one tooth after inspection.
corrected. waiting for update if it runs now.

https://youtu.be/i9LKn7fe5uE

2000 eclipse. gs model.
when I got the car I replaced:
a fuel injector
egr valve
vacuum solonoid
crankshaft sensor

everything ran fine after that no check engine lights or anything.

I was headed to work today and engine tried to overheat. it was getting close so I pulled off and turned it off. I filled everything back up with fluid and tried to start it and nothing.
engine would turn over and over but wouldent start. iv spent all day working on it.

things iv tested:
my first thought was the crankshaft sensor because when I first got it it would warm up and die. so I went ahead and took the time to replace the sensor hoping that was it.
well it still wouldent crank. ugh.
I looked at all the fuses and everything was fine.
I tested the coils and had fire from there.
tried the spark plugs but had no spark so I replaced all of them.
I checked for power at the injectors and didnt have any. tested that by holding a wire I had spliced in and got nothing.

I tried using started fluid and couldent get it to do a damn.

thought the overheat could have blown head gasket but showing no signs of water in my oil. or on the dipstick.

I know I have compression because when I was testing spark plugs I had the coil sitting in the hole and it blew out strong with plenty of compression.

im stumped as hell.

if anyone has any ideas please share. im so confused and burned thru two packs of smokes today.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
2000 eclipse. gs model.

when I got the car I replaced:
a fuel injector
egr valve
vacuum solonoid
crankshaft sensor

everything ran fine after that no check engine lights or anything.

I was headed to work today and engine tried to overheat. it was getting close so I pulled off and turned it off. I filled everything back up with fluid and tried to start it and nothing.
engine would turn over and over but wouldent start. iv spent all day working on it.

things iv tested:
my first thought was the crankshaft sensor because when I first got it it would warm up and die. so I went ahead and took the time to replace the sensor hoping that was it.
well it still wouldent crank. ugh.
I looked at all the fuses and everything was fine.
I tested the coils and had fire from there.
tried the spark plugs but had no spark so I replaced all of them.
I checked for power at the injectors and didnt have any. tested that by holding a wire I had spliced in and got nothing.

I tried using started fluid and couldent get it to do a damn.

thought the overheat could have blown head gasket but showing no signs of water in my oil. or on the dipstick.

I know I have compression because when I was testing spark plugs I had the coil sitting in the hole and it blew out strong with plenty of compression.

im stumped as hell.

if anyone has any ideas please share. im so confused and burned thru two packs of smokes today.

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
I don't think that a slight overheating would keep it from starting, sounds unrelated. There's a slim chance what caused the overheating however also led to it not starting later but I can't think of a connection.

Say again what you tested w/ the coils and plugs, and what if anything you did for fuel.

I think the ECM cuts both if it thinks you are stealing the car, FWIW.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
iv tested the coils and they are firing fine when turning it over.
i put the spark plugs into the boots and tested them and they wouldent fire. so I replaced them.

I spliced into the wire for the injector and didnt have power there.

bitter. the starter is turning the motor over but its not starting. its cranking but not starting?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it seems like its a security issue somehow. battery died and took it out and charged it. but seems unrelated.

I want to say that its the security for some reason. but im so confused.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will replace it when I am back to my car in the morning. what does this control? while im not in front of it.

I checked most of them today other than the relays.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Heres the list of what runs off that fuse.

Camshaft position sensor, crankshaft
position sensor, distributor assembly,
EGR solenoid valve, engine control
module, evaporative emission purge
solenoid, evaporative emission
ventilation solenoid, heated oxygen
sensor, idle air control motor,
immobilizer-ECU, injector, MFI relay,
powertrain control module, variable
induction control solenoid valve and
volume air flow sensor

Also make sure your crankshaft position sensor is routed properly/ hasnt been cut etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I replaced the crankshaft sensor today. I was hoping that was the problem. it wasnt routed right and was cut a small bit on the ground wire but its been rerouted and is working now. still not cranking tho.

I will check that fuse tomorrow. should I worry about any relays since I cant look at them and tell if they are working?
or should I put 12v to them and see if they click just to be sure the relays are firing.

·
54,487 Posts
What is the security light doing? The green key. Put the key in, turn it to on and the green key light does....?

Have you checked ALL the fuses for blown fuses? Use a fuse tester not your eyes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I havent seen a green key at all. I didnt even think the car has a security system until I locked it and opened the door and the alarm went off.

I havent seen the green key at all since then.

random bump for my horn stopped working 2 weeks ago but seems unrelated.
jumped to horn and it works fine but saw no fuse blown so assumed it was a mechanical issue under the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Well that fuse runs your multiport fuel injection relay, so make sure its good first. Have you checked if you have fuel coming from the injectors?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had time to do a crankshaft sensor replacement but ran out of time be for I could get to fuel. thats why I tested the injectors the way I did with the wire to them. and I had no power in the injector as far as I felt. didnt put a test light on it but didn't get shocked holding a injector. so I was still working on the spark aspect of it but for the injectors.

I havent listened for the fuel pump (iv never heard it since owning the car [primes only when cranking right?] ) so it could be a fuel problamo.

guy that was helping me did say something about the odor of the gasoline from around the spark plugs. said it smelled old.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did some small research on the imobilizer earlier and it sounded about right. the injectors shutdown and wont crank the car. I dont know what would have caused it to go off tho.

random edit: I am throwing a p0420 which seems unrelated because I have a wire broken off of the vacuum solenoid.

am throwing code p0110 for the air intake temperature sensor tho.

related?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts