Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and google doesn't even know. So maybe someone has had some experience with this: I have only the stock Infinity system. The 6x9's are not blown out, but, in the bass low's I get an airy pitch instead of a solid punch. It's hard to explain in writing, but I can hear it more than feel it...if you get that. I don't know the exact freq, but I'm gonna guess and say its in the Hz range. Can anyone help?

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
What are your bass settings at? What volume is this happening at? How do you know they are not blown? Did you test them with a DMM?

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It occurs at all volumes above zero, when bass is maximized. All the way down to zero bass. No, I haven't tested them. I don't believe they're busted, that's the only distortion, and if they're going to break down, it's taking a long time.

·
Exacerbated Member
5,414 Posts
I have the same expression on my face as a wine connoisseur would have, if you tasted… swallowed… and then said, “This tastes kind of wacky.”

·
Exacerbated Member
5,414 Posts
That’s better BUT..

The Roland 808 has a trademark "hollow/tinny" sound. The trademark sound of this synth is the "cowbell".

Maybe You Just Need MORE Cow Bell.

listen to a stock, properly working 3G sound system. Compare the same music.

Look for something impinging the cones of your speakers.

loose or bad connections from the head unit to the amp and from the amp to the speakers.

Swap out your OEM amp with one you know is working properly.

Get a test cd that plays different frequencies to check if there is a cross over problem with your head unit.

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That’s better BUT..

The Roland 808 has a trademark "hollow/tinny" sound. The trademark sound of this synth is the "cowbell".

Maybe You Just Need MORE Cow Bell.

listen to a stock, properly working 3G sound system. Compare the same music.

Look for something impinging the cones of your speakers.

loose or bad connections from the head unit to the amp and from the amp to the speakers.

Swap out your OEM amp with one you know is working properly.

Get a test cd that plays different frequencies to check if there is a cross over problem with your head unit.
"IT NEEDS MORE COWBELL!!" :lmfao:

Thanks for the suggestions. But, everything is physically okay. Even a couple of the audio shops around can't figure it out.

·
Cock and bulls
1,852 Posts
My subs have the same thing if I push them too hard. I think you just need to amp up whatever your using for base and upgrade. My subs are nice but they cannot handle everything I throw at them, and when I go past their limit they let me know. From reading this thread, I'm guessing you have no subs and are trying to use 6x9's to "imitate" subs? So when you're rolling down the road you turn up the bass it sounds distorted, am I right?

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My subs have the same thing if I push them too hard. I think you just need to amp up whatever your using for base and upgrade. My subs are nice but they cannot handle everything I throw at them, and when I go past their limit they let me know. From reading this thread, I'm guessing you have no subs and are trying to use 6x9's to "imitate" subs? So when you're rolling down the road you turn up the bass it sounds distorted, am I right?
I'm not using them as subs. It's not a nasty distortion. All the signals are still clean except for lower bass signals. Bass still sounds clean, but its not the right pitch and it's louder.

·
Exacerbated Member
5,414 Posts
If you have swapped out the amp and that diddent fix the problem then
get the test cd.

go to the cross-over roll-off tests and play that on your system with a strip chart recorder to document. One channel at a time.
This will tell you where in the spectrum the problem is.

My guess is there is a shorted coil in the output section of the head unit.

·
lit up
4,334 Posts
If you have swapped out the amp and that diddent fix the problem then
get the test cd.

go to the cross-over roll-off tests and play that on your system with a strip chart recorder to document. One channel at a time.
This will tell you where in the spectrum the problem is.

My guess is there is a shorted coil in the output section of the head unit.
my guess also--change the hu

1 - 12 of 12 Posts