Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I got my supercharger kit in, and all I can say is that the instructions SUCK!!!

Here are some questions I have that are not covered in the instructions.

1. Where does the new honeycomb go? Does it replace the stock one in the MAS?

2. The 2bar MAP sensor.....where does this go exactly? Isn't there a stock MAP sensor? Do we just cut that one off and splice/solder the new one in?

3. The large filter that goes on the blower itself, mine has a hole drilled in the end of it like something is supposed to go in there....wtf is that for?

4. Can anyone here actually explain in detail how to modify the fuel pump bracket so the new pump will fit? Most problems Ive read with the kit have involved fuel, so I assume this is the toughest thing to get right. Anyone actually have some decent pics besides the ones in the intructions?

I'm sure there are more, but I'm tired and can't think anymore. Thanks everyone.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
I put the honeycomb in the MAS adapter.

I would assume that the meth would go in the filter, no?

That fuel pump install method by Rippmods is absolutely dreadful. Donny over at AAI showed me a quicker more effective way to get the new fuel pump in within about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The instructions do suck. (This has been brought to RIPP's attention many times)

However, that being said, there tech support is excellent. You paid good $$$ for this kit, don't even think about hesitating to call.

Also, if you get a tech who is not making things clear for you, just explain why and politely ask for another. Angelo, IMHO, could always help my visualize the problem.

Good luck...

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
SlowPoke said:
The instructions do suck. (This has been brought to RIPP's attention many times)

However, that being said, there tech support is excellent. You paid good $$$ for this kit, don't even think about hesitating to call.

Also, if you get a tech who is not making things clear for you, just explain why and politely ask for another. Angelo, IMHO, could always help my visualize the problem.

Good luck...
Angelo is awesome! :bowdown:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The instructions say to drill a hole up near the throttle body for the meth, thats why I'm confused by the hole in the filter. Maybe is for NAWWSSS!!!!!

Anyone have an answer for the MAP sensor question?

Does the new honeycomb indeed just go in the MAS adapter? Is there anything you have to remove from the stock setup to make it fit?

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
SDS3G said:
The instructions say to drill a hole up near the throttle body for the meth, thats why I'm confused by the hole in the filter. Maybe is for NAWWSSS!!!!!

Anyone have an answer for the MAP sensor question?

Does the new honeycomb indeed just go in the MAS adapter? Is there anything you have to remove from the stock setup to make it fit?
When I did Ryu's install he had the whole Stage 2 Kit, but the honeycomb fit right into the MAS adapter just fine. The straighter you can get that airflow going into the MAS the better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that I'm looking at it, the honeycomb does look like it belongs in the adapter, yay.

Is there a stock honeycomb already in the MAS you have to remove?

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
SDS3G said:
Now that I'm looking at it, the honeycomb does look like it belongs in the adapter, yay.

Is there a stock honeycomb already in the MAS you have to remove?
For the love of god please don't remove that... evAr!

The honeycomb in the MAS has a hard enough time straighting out pressurized air flow to begin with (key to a lot of problems from blowing through the MAS). The honeycomb augments the MAS honeycomb.

·
Ripped Evo
1,178 Posts
Tearstone said:
For the love of god please don't remove that... evAr!

The honeycomb in the MAS has a hard enough time straighting out pressurized air flow to begin with (key to a lot of problems from blowing through the MAS). The honeycomb augments the MAS honeycomb.
:agreed:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For the love of god...I shall leaveth the stock honeycomb in there!

What about the RIPP MAP sensor? Where does it go, the instructions make it seem like you connect it right at the ECU. But isn't there a stock MAP sensor that I need to remove?

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
SDS3G said:
For the love of god...I shall leaveth the stock honeycomb in there!

What about the RIPP MAP sensor? Where does it go, the instructions make it seem like you connect it right at the ECU. But isn't there a stock MAP sensor that I need to remove?
:lol: Well, we've had a couple of members here pull that honeycomb out of their N/A setups without asking us first. A new MAS is like $350 from the dealer.

Are you talking about a black box with a bunch of wires and a vacuum tube on it? Dave (the guy that does my electrical installs) wired that up with the grey box underneath the dash and ran a "T" off of the mechanical boost gauge over to that box.

He might be able to answer that question better than I can, I don't do electrical :lol:

·
RIPPed
547 Posts
Yeah, thats the piece he's talking about.

I just got my Stage 2 SDS also, and I when I sat down and read the install instructions I was like :scratch: So then I re-read them, and I was like :ugh2:

I am wondering the same things about the MAP sensor and the hole pre-drilled into the airfilter.

Once I nail all this stuff out and install my SDS, I'm going to make an EXTREMELY picture intensive thread covering the install. I'm sure I"ll end up calling RIPP several times to fill in some of the holes in the instructions, so maybe I'll even write a new, clearer set of instructions.

Oh, and I can't wait for the fuel pump install!!!1!111 :crying:

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
Trev, I highly highly highly highly suggest that if you have the 5~6psi pulley that you just install the Stage 1 portion of the kit right now and insure you can get the car running solid on that.

The only thing I took from those instructions is just enough to insure I did it the Rippmods way just incase Ryu ran into problems, that at least I know that I did everything by the book.

If you have any questions about the instructions, post up 'em up meng, I'll do my best to answer them. It's a pretty straight forward install, it just takes awhile.

I didn't even notice a hole in the air filter, I would have never thought to look for one to be quite honest.

The Ripp method to install that fuel pump is simply a dremeling nightmare. I will never ever do another fuel pump assembly like that again. Donny at AAI showed us a technique that takes about 10~15 minutes to do :bigthumb:

Oh yeah, I was sitting here thinking about that MAS box. The Rippbox senses boost with that in order to adjust the tune accordingly (3 dimensional tuning). So that device does get wired in with the grey box somehow. Did you receive the wiring instructions? The Blackbox instructions tell you absolutely nothing about how to install it in the car.

TrevMill said:
Yeah, thats the piece he's talking about.

I just got my Stage 2 SDS also, and I when I sat down and read the install instructions I was like :scratch: So then I re-read them, and I was like :ugh2:

I am wondering the same things about the MAP sensor and the hole pre-drilled into the airfilter.

Once I nail all this stuff out and install my SDS, I'm going to make an EXTREMELY picture intensive thread covering the install. I'm sure I"ll end up calling RIPP several times to fill in some of the holes in the instructions, so maybe I'll even write a new, clearer set of instructions.

Oh, and I can't wait for the fuel pump install!!!1!111 :crying:

·
Wanna be my Sheep?
8,255 Posts
SDS3G said:
Okay, I got my supercharger kit in, and all I can say is that the instructions SUCK!!!

Here are some questions I have that are not covered in the instructions.

1. Where does the new honeycomb go? Does it replace the stock one in the MAS?

2. The 2bar MAP sensor.....where does this go exactly? Isn't there a stock MAP sensor? Do we just cut that one off and splice/solder the new one in?

3. The large filter that goes on the blower itself, mine has a hole drilled in the end of it like something is supposed to go in there....wtf is that for?

4. Can anyone here actually explain in detail how to modify the fuel pump bracket so the new pump will fit? Most problems Ive read with the kit have involved fuel, so I assume this is the toughest thing to get right. Anyone actually have some decent pics besides the ones in the intructions?

I'm sure there are more, but I'm tired and can't think anymore. Thanks everyone.
1) It goes in the intake piping between the BOV and the MAF
2) You connect the sensor itself to a vaccuum line and connect the electronics portion to the black/grey box.
3) Its supposed to be a return line for your crank case breather. Many of us have just put a mini filter on the line and bought a new filter without the hole.
4) It involves alot of dremeling. Its hard to explain, once you get the existing fuel pump out and go to put the new one in you'll see what needs to be dremeled out to make it work.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
Matt said:
4) It involves alot of dremeling. Its hard to explain, once you get the existing fuel pump out and go to put the new one in you'll see what needs to be dremeled out to make it work.
I consider myself pretty good at looking at a problem and taking it head on. It's not that easy man, I'm telling ya. I spent nearly 1.5 hours getting that fuel pump to fit right the Rippmods way.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Tearstone said:
:lol: Well, we've had a couple of members here pull that honeycomb out of their N/A setups without asking us first. A new MAS is like $350 from the dealer.
:bash: If your REALLY lucky you can find one for $50 from a junkyard. :twitch:

·
RIPPed
547 Posts
Tearstone said:
Trev, I highly highly highly highly suggest that if you have the 5~6psi pulley that you just install the Stage 1 portion of the kit right now and insure you can get the car running solid on that.

Nope, all I have is the stage 2 pulley. I was thinking the other day that it would be nice to have a stage 1 pulley just to get the car running solid.

·
RIPPed
547 Posts
I thought thats what those were, but I didn't expect them to be brass. I was expecting pieces of hard black plastic like on a DSM.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts