Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Rockstar in training
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new to photography, but it has always been something I've wanted to do. For a while I've been planning to buy a DSLR to get started with, and today was the day. I was going to get a Pentax K10D, but no stores had any, so I ended up getting a Canon EOS 40D at Best Buy. It's definitely overkill for me being a beginner and all, but I wanted to get a camera that I can grow into as my hobby progresses, rather than getting a camera that I will grow out of.

Any helpful tips anyone can provide me to help guide me along would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Nice! Last year I picked up a Nikon D50 for the same purpose...I'm still learning how to use the SLR features though...who knows, maybe one of these days I'll break down and take a photography class...

·
Rockstar in training
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm thinking of doing. I talked with somebody from a local camera shop, and they said they give classes for about $25.

·
Rockstar in training
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The camera was roughly $1,420, and after all was said and done after buying the camera, CF card, bag, tripod, and UV filter, it all came to about $1,800. The camera came with an EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens.

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts
honestly, and I have the 20D so i'm by no means saying the 40d is a bad camera...but you probably could have just bought the XTi and not grown out of it. those two camera have almost identical features and the ones the XTi is missing isn't a big deal. like ISO 3200 and I don't think it's got the white balance correction grid. but congrats though. you will like that camera either way and that lens (I have that too) takes really great photos. IS comes in VERY handy.

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts
oh, btw...look at the stickies. there's a few on photography and theres on that will give you links to either web sites or books that you can read to learn more.

·
Rockstar in training
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I didn't realize that the XTI and the 40D were almost identical. I was actually thinking about getting the XTI. I held a few cameras and the one that felt the best to me was the 40D, and I like the fact that it has the little LCD on the top unlike the Rebels.

I read the sticky about the F stops a while back, and that helped me to have a general idea, but how to go about applying it to different scenes is still very confusing. I'll be sure to check out the other links as well. I just ordered Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure to help clear things up for me. Thanks Anus.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The camera was roughly $1,420, and after all was said and done after buying the camera, CF card, bag, tripod, and UV filter, it all came to about $1,800. The camera came with an EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens.
Wow...when I bought my Nikon D50 back in January it was a lot less...I'm assuming your camera is probably a bit better though. I bought the D50, with a 28-80mm lens, a 70-300mm lens, bag, monopod, and 2G 133x SD card...all for around $850 I think...

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts
Wow...when I bought my Nikon D50 back in January it was a lot less...I'm assuming your camera is probably a bit better though. I bought the D50, with a 28-80mm lens, a 70-300mm lens, bag, monopod, and 2G 133x SD card...all for around $850 I think...
the D50 is more comparable to the rebel and the D80/D300 are more geared towards the 40D. to me it seems the 40D falls between those two Nikons. :dunno:

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts
I didn't realize that the XTI and the 40D were almost identical. I was actually thinking about getting the XTI. I held a few cameras and the one that felt the best to me was the 40D, and I like the fact that it has the little LCD on the top unlike the Rebels.

I read the sticky about the F stops a while back, and that helped me to have a general idea, but how to go about applying it to different scenes is still very confusing. I'll be sure to check out the other links as well. I just ordered Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure to help clear things up for me. Thanks Anus.
that book is really good and very simple to read and understand. also read the stickie Damian wrote about the sunny 16 rule and the one I wrote about basic photography. hopefully those two will help you understand the relationships between everything.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts