Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Just joined

3K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  Widgmaster 
#1 ·
Hi friends! Just got myself a 2003 eclipse Spyder gs convertible today. Been browsing the forums for a while but didn't join as I wasn't sure what car I was going to get but happy to be here.

Obligatory picture she ain't much yet but 🤙

See less See more
#7 ·
Sadly I live in a apartment that does not offer garages I feel bad about it she is going to have to sit out in the snow to...

I think there's a company around here that does this undercoating spray to help protect against rust so I'm definitely getting that done before winter hits I'm not sure what else I can do to protect it though. I'll be sure to get some UV protectant soon then though I don't mind re applying and having to clean them every 2 / 3 months.

#8 ·
The best scenario would be to store your car in a heated garage but leaving it out in the snow won`t hurt any thing. It`s the salt they put on the roads to de-ice them that causes all the rust .. Find a good outdoor cover and your car should be fine. If you drive the car during the winter the cover idea is useless .. what do you do with a car cover , covered in snow... Definitely get the undercoating ...I won`t even drive my car during the winter but still had it oil guarded ..

#9 ·
Yeah I have no choice but to drive it in the snow this winter though to be fair I'll probably frequently Uber to prevent some corrosion. This is my first car and only car I have I'm in my late 20s I want to baby it. It took me so long to finally find a car I love that I could afford outright. Do you have any other tips you can give me ? I seen your 303 video on here about leaking that looks brilliant not this weekend but next I'm going to give it a try.

#10 ·
The best tip I could give you is to just enjoy your car. Don`t let your buddy with a degree in back yard mechanic touch your Spyder. Buy yourself a OBD2 scanner just in case you get any codes with the check engine light. .. Open this link in a new window and save as a favorite ... 2003-2005 Eclipse Factory Service Manual – Tearstone Anything and everything you need to know about your Spyder can be found right here on Club3G ... Complete your profile so we know more about you and your car. This is important . When you ask a question we can look at your profile and see what car we are talking about ...if any modifications where made.... ECT... Happy Motoring Dude................

#13 ·
Other than a few stone chips and scratches .. no rust .. they wanted $5000. to repaint my car.. I bet it would be much much more than this to change the color on your car. .. You made a wise decision to just fix up what you have.. So what are you going to do with the money you just saved...

#19 ·
Ohh my I didn't even notice that this was taken the day I bought the car. When I bought it he had the top down so I put it up and then back down to make sure it works so right after this picture I put it down.

so it's most likely in the door somewhere.
🤦

#21 ·
Hey guys update for everyone interested! So I got the new stereo In said id be back with an update @Widgmaster !!! :) Now I just have to find something to close the small gaps left in the dash and make it look nice and clean. I also ordered the roof stuff you told me about. I'm currently moving this week though and the weather has been absolute hell so I havent had the time to do it. I also bought most of the cleaning stuff I need to finish up the interior and I got some LED lights to install.

My plan currently is to finish the interior most of the summer/fall and general maintance before winter hits and I get it undercoated. I plan to save up all winter then in spring I'm thinking get a new roof wheels/rims see how much it will take to fix up the paint some then if I have the money probably a new exhaust and a air intake system maybe head and tal lights? I'm not sure how much further I'll go from there but only time will tell I'm having a blast getting the interior set so far some elbow grease really does wonders.

So down below are pictures of the radio more cleaning stuff I got to finish getting the interior even cleaner and a question!

Still have to find something to fill in the gaps there to make it look nice c:

More cleaning supplies for the interior roof and some LED for the interior floor think I'm going to use double-sided tape and velcro that way there easy to take in out and replace!

My question does anybody know which of these wires is the wire for the reverse light? I have my backup camera ran to the trunk and everything ready to go but I don't want to blindly start cutting, splicing, testing blindly. I tried to search on here and look up a wiring diagram but I couldn't really figure it out I'm currently not sure how I'm going to mount the camera I think I might just get one of those camera license plates covers instead of drilling the current one I have somewhere into the rear😅

Thanks in advance everyone for reading and helping loving working on it so far!

#22 ·
Oh dude... you have obviously purchased the wrong sized din radio unless there is a trim ring that goes around that one. Go to this site and navigate to your 03 model and compare your radio to what is there.. All Car Stereos at Crutchfield I sure hope this don`t become a problem for you...You may even find your radio there to compare .
Good show bro... I know your going to love the outcome of the 303 if you follow my directions correctly.. Leak free and the water just beads up and rolls off.
Looks like you have a handle on this thing. Your just going to town.. spending your hard earned money on your pride and joy. I think your in love bro....😜
Okay.. lets see how you make out with this.. A very wise man gave me this book grasshopper .. so I pass it on to you. LOL
Scroll down to Group 90 Circuit Diagrams ..scroll to page 90-2.. scroll to ..back up lights manual or auto.. and there you have it... OR
First put your car emergence brake on .. start the car and put it in reverse.. maybe even put some blocks behind the tire to be safe.. remove your taillight ..now your reverse light will be exposed..
Get yourself a test light.. get a needle ...ground your test light. stick the pin in the different color wires until your test light comes on .. Reverse lights.. Or
You can wait for @Murkrow to tell you what color it is.. Believe me the guy`s a geanious .... genyus .. genyes .. he friggin smart...

#23 ·
Update! well I didn't get the LEDs in today ((want to get velcro before I put them in)) the roof cleaned and sealed/protected or any exterior stuff done but I did put 6 hours in today. Did the best interior restoration I possibly could with deep cleaning degreaser dressing etc. I also cleaned the headlights with toothpaste the best I could. It's really starting to look nice inside I have a bit more I need to do before I have the interior done so here's some pictures!

I think the dressing/restoration turned out really well I know I need to fix it a bit more before I'll be really happy with it but it definitely helped bring back some life to the interior. I used a basic interior cleaner, degreaser, and to finished it off chemical guys VRP dressing to bring back the color make it shine, and protect it from any future UV damage.

I think the VRP really helped bring the car back into a more modern age especially with the new radio.

After I let the dressing dry for about 2 hours and put the top back up looks nice I think but I still think I can do a little better maybe after this weekend.

After and before I attempted to clean the headlights. It's not perfect that's for sure but considering I just used toothpaste and a toothbrush on just the outside of the headlight I feel like it made a nice improvement. I think after this weekend I'll get something a bit better to clean them and do the outside and inside of the headlight.

Following the interior, I think my next plan will be to see what I can do about restoring parts of the paint there is some clear coat peeling away in some spots. This is ofc after I clean the soft top and put protection on it.

side note shotout to @Widgmaster for all the help you have given me I can't wait to get it to a condition as nice as yours maybe next summer we can take a road trip in them! also as a PS the radio does fit but I think it looks ugly with the piece they gave.

Here's a picture of it in a 03 eclipse from amazon I think the overhang on the nobs is super ugly so I'm currently working on filling in the gaps on mine without using the ugly thing the company provided. cheers!

#25 ·
I was thinking maybe I'd getting something like this.

But in black ofc and just getting it a really clean flush fit in there then hit it with the car dressing I used on all the other car plastics so it looks like it's perfectly in place there ?

#27 ·
Got an alignment today oil change and did some other miscellaneous things before I hit bad news...

One of my tie rods is bad I got the alignment thinking it would fix one of the smaller issues I was having and it did help improve the ride quality but my steering wheel still has has a little play to it. (Way less compared to before though)

Seems like a lot of the smaller projects I wanted to work on until winter hit are now all on hold till I can fix this :(

#28 ·
Welcome to the world of owning a Mitsubishi. The plans we make may not always come to fruition .. and other problems arise out of the blue. These are just the joys we face every day. Don`t be discouraged @wwTakun . Remember... each little thing you do gets you that much closer to your goal ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.