Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still kinda new here but any who ..
I bought a 2003 Mitsubishi eclipse gt v6 5speed and its gonna be my project car if it goes the way I want it it will be done and ready by summer time

The engine that's in there now has a few problems I dont know how to fix so here we go it idles funny when your at a stop or when u have the clutch pushed it idles between 2rpm and 15 rpm and second it Boggs down when u hit the gas let's say ur driving in 3rd and you hit the gas to speed up it will bog down then speed up or how ever you say it and third issue is it seems to get louder as u drive but there is no hole in the exhaust it's all stock and anyone have tips will be appreciated

!!!But my idea is just to get a new but bigger engine for it that's ment for tuning and making faster but...idk where to find a engine that will find any one have an idea where I could find on

·
Registered
637 Posts
Look for a 3.8 liter engine if you want to go bigger.

The engine problems you're experiencing could be a number of things. Make sure it's up to date with maintenance and then go from there.

Also please use periods and capital letters to form sentences. It's hard to understand what you're trying to say when we can't tell where a sentence starts and ends.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apologize I'll remember that. Oh yea can I use any 3.8 for my car ? Or do i need to find a certain one. To be honest I'm just getting into this car thing. This is gonna be my first project and a friend of mine uses this site and he recommended to come here.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Needs to be a mitsubishi 3.8 liter engine. There are a couple you can use because most are pretty similar. Go look around in the GT/GTS performance section for people that have built cars with bigger engines and see what they did.

If this is your first car project, expect it to take a long time. Not only is an engine swap no joke, the tuning that comes after is in itself a project. I suggest doing the work to get the current engine running well first before you swap it out. You'll have time anyway because you have to find an engine and the other needed parts before you can swap anything. A tuneup can be done in a weekend even if you're a newbie and the parts don't cost much. It's a good primer for working in the engine bay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok awesome thanks I appreciate it. I'll go check them out that section. I just dont know where to start with the engine that's in there.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just do the regular maintenance to start. Plugs, wires, rotor, and cap. Those alone will make your engine run like garbage. While you're in there, inspect all of the vacuum hoses for cracks and leaks. Also check all of the wiring for abrasions and exposed conductors. Clean your battery terminals and check the integrity of your grounds. A bad ground can make your ignition system run poorly. Getting a good idea of the condition of your vehicle before you start making big changes, like engine swaps, is a good idea.

I think having a well running car will help keep you motivated while you're sourcing a new engine and the parts needed to put it in your car. Plus this is all stuff you need to learn how to do to maintain your new engine too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is the "check engine" light on? If so, check for engine codes with a code reader. You can buy an inexpensive code reader at Harbor Freight.
Fluctuating idle is usually caused by a vacuum leak. You can troubleshoot this by using Bernz-O-Matic (or similar) torch gas. Search online for "troubleshoot vacuum leaks".
I had this problem and it was traced to the gasket that mounts the throttle body.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all so very much. I greatly appreciate it ! I'm getting started on it this weekend. I'll keep you updated. thank you and I'll check the vacuum hose for crackes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts