Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys... Does anyone know who sells a kevlar timing belt for the GS? I've called around all day and been looking on Google for some answers, but for some reason it's like it's not being manufactered yet. I even called a place in Ohio that deals with just kevlar belts, and they had not heard of one being made for my 2.4. Is there a reason? I was told to run a kevlar belt with my new cam gear, but I may just have to get an OEM replacement if I can't find the kevlar one. I was also told by a high performance shop, that they have used factory belts on cars for as high as 400+HP, and there was nothing wrong with them. Am I just continuing on a fruitless search for something that I won't need?

·
Fullmetal
541 Posts
I don't think that it matters on HP numbers as long as you got a timing belt that's not too loose which would throw the timing off or too tight and you'll get a SNAP! lol. But the OEM should be just as good as any timing belt unless your getting an EVO head or KIA/Hyundai head.

I think you should just continue to change out your belt every 60k miles. My personal opinion.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks man. I do plan on swapping to the Evo head, but that's way down the line of things I have planned. I'll just keep the OEM belt and change it out every once in a while.

·
Fullmetal
541 Posts
Well, you won't use the OEM belt once you get the EVO or Kia/Hyundai head on your car. I think you'll use the Galant belt, I'm not sure, there is the parts list on the forums.

·
Zero Resistance, LLC
1,948 Posts
Well, you won't use the OEM belt once you get the EVO or Kia/Hyundai head on your car. I think you'll use the Galant belt, I'm not sure, there is the parts list on the forums.
This is the reason we have so many threads about the head swap. People post incorrect info about stuff they have absolutely no clue about and confuse everyone. The headswap uses the evo8 belt.

·
Fullmetal
541 Posts
Ok, flash, I was misinformed by 4g64T, who claimed on the .org side it was the galant belt and not the EVO 8 belt. I did also clarify that there is an parts list on the forums and that I clearly stated I wasn't sure. There's no reason to bash me, when I was misinformed...I admit, I didn't know what belt, but I also haven't looked at the parts list yet which I have downloaded.

·
Zero Resistance, LLC
1,948 Posts
Ok, flash, I was misinformed by 4g64T, who claimed on the .org side it was the galant belt and not the EVO 8 belt. I did also clarify that there is an parts list on the forums and that I clearly stated I wasn't sure. There's no reason to bash me, when I was misinformed...I admit, I didn't know what belt, but I also haven't looked at the parts list yet which I have downloaded.
If you are clearly aware that you aren't sure about the info you are posting, don't post it. Or, you can do yourself a favor and look at the parts list that took me 3 months to put together and educate yourself on what is required for the swap. That way you can post accurate information.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL, nice... and yes, I too will be downloading that list. Maybe next summer or something, I'll attempt that swap. Well, I got the gear installed today and just swapped out the belt for an OEM replacement. But yes, I am quite aware that I would need to change the belts once I swap out the heads too.... Huge difference in length.

·
Registered
581 Posts
dammit there is another 4g64t... thats not me over there, dont believe anything you read on the .org site

but on that note you can use a galant belt, it a 94 galant gs which is the only 4g64 that came with DOHC

im using this belt and didnt have to adjust anything all the timing mark lined up perfectly

·
Zero Resistance, LLC
1,948 Posts
dammit there is another 4g64t... thats not me over there, dont believe anything you read on the .org site

but on that note you can use a galant belt, it a 94 galant gs which is the only 4g64 that came with DOHC

im using this belt and didnt have to adjust anything all the timing mark lined up perfectly
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b159/4G64T/P1060546.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

You sure about that? It's hard to tell at that angle, but they don't look perfect. The deck height is only going to make the timing marks off half a tooth or so.

·
Registered
515 Posts
You sure about that? It's hard to tell at that angle, but they don't look perfect. The deck height is only going to make the timing marks off half a tooth or so.
yes, it does. so you have two options: move each gear by 1/2 tooth to the right(facing the engine) or adjust the gears to -4*/-4*

·
Zero Resistance, LLC
1,948 Posts
yes, it does. so you have two options: move each gear by 1/2 tooth to the right(facing the engine) or adjust the gears to -4*/-4*
Well, that's kind of correct. I know where you read that. The absolute best way is to degree the cams, that way it'll be dead on and there isn't any guessing. The next best way is to extend an imaginary line from the center of the camshaft dowel/locating pin. Then adjust the cam gears so that that line is lined up with the valve cover timing marks.

You really only need one adjustable cam gear. You can easily get the the crank and one cam gear to line up. Then you use the adjustable one to line up the other mark.

·
Registered
581 Posts
sorry i just remembered that pic was not a TDC it was a little before TDC i'll take another one at a better angle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts