Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a VRx at the local junkyard and i want to take the uperintake manifold off it. Im going to go tommorrow and get it off, but i as wondering if there is anyhting else that i need to take with it in order for it to work? Do i need any plugs, mounts, or harnesses, and is there anything else on the VRX that is worth taking? Thanks

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts

This is what it kind of looks like on the car. I suggest you get the EGR tube etc... My car dosent have EGR anymore so my pic maybe a little misleading.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
SANDS-GT said:
GOD DAMN thats what i want my engine to look like!
You and me both man, you and me both. But it's not gonna all happen all at once :lol:

Where do you people find the GTS/VRX plenums? I've done online searches for junkyards and NEVER found one - I even sent one out over junkyarddog.com, they search nationwide, and haven't gotten a reply from any yards with a GTS plenum. I know you're getting them somewhere...but where? I have seen one or two show up for sale on here, and I never have the money for one when they do.

I would like to swap out my GT plenum later this summer in preparation for SDS later on, but at this point it's looking like I may not be able to find either the GTS or VRX anywhere (and I don't want to just go through Mitsu and buy one new unless I can find a deal...right...). I'm figuring I may just get a RPW one - if I'm gonna fork over $600 or whatever it is Mitsu wants for a new GTS plenum, I'll just go with the RPW for a couple hundred more.

edit: WAIT a second - I'd only ever searched for a GTS manifold on mitsubishiparts.com...I just tried a search for the intake manifold for a Diamante, and I came up with one for a 97-04. Would that be it? If so...it's $327.62.

If that's it, I think I know which one I may be getting later this summer :eek3:

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
I got the diamante one. It's the same as the one in the pic. I got lucky and found one on car-parts.com and paid $60 shipped for mine. The only modifications it needed as to get new vacuum hoses cause they are a different size and you have to bolt the sensors separately to the plenum that deal with the egr (left side looking at the engine). You will have to move your battery though.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
So if you use something like car-parts.com and search for a Mitubishi Diamante intake manifold for, say a 2000 (it automatically searches for all the interchangeable ones), will any of them that come up work? Or is the VRX a special case? From what I've read, there was only one Diamante engine from 97-04, and the HP/TQ numbers were all the same?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
u guys wont believe this. The guy gave the plenum for 20 bucks and i got the throttle body and the egr solenoid and everyhting. Im gonna post pics of it tonight. If you guys need any parts off cars let me know. cause this junkyard is full of goodies since the hurricane. :fever: :fever: :fawk2: :naughty:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Or can you find another VRX or GTS manifold?

Still wondering though - how can I tell if a manifold that I find listed on a junkyard search online is the Diamante one that I need? Is there a certain number in the VIN that I could send a question about or anything?

·
Turbo Buick > you
1,336 Posts
mozart4898 said:
Or can you find another VRX or GTS manifold?

Still wondering though - how can I tell if a manifold that I find listed on a junkyard search online is the Diamante one that I need? Is there a certain number in the VIN that I could send a question about or anything?
just make sure you get the one without traction control...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hello! I'm cotemplating the same swap however, the vehicle is a 2002 Galant ES-V6! Is the use of one manifold over the other, Diamante vs. Eclipse GTS, more benificial in my application(ease of install without relocating the battery, EGR tube from donor vehicle or additional modifications)? Also, I've traction control, so would I try and locate a manifold WITH or WITHOUT traction control? Your time to review my post is appreciated, thanks!

·
makin territories
1,205 Posts
hold the hell on!:scream: how did you convert to DLI? was it hard and are there any gains? that looks absolutly sick though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The cable is propertary to Greddy. Meaning you can't just use a USB to serial cable, you have to buy thiers. There are/were "clone" cables sold cheaper, but not to sure on if they are still available.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i did a search and found out that there are a few cables that can be hooked up to the emanage that ur laptop can recognize. but a lot of people have had problems with them saying that there maps arent saving correctly on the emanagae and other kinds of problems. I jusr went ahead and bought the real cable and spent the money. Just thought i would share that with everyone who was thinking about buying an afermarket cable.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One more turbo question before i start the install

i know that the oil return line for the turbo is tapped into the upper oil pan, but where is the oil feed line tapped into. I think im supposed to use the Greddy oil block adapter to feed it in there, but im not sure.

·
stupid booster
7,219 Posts
You need to T it off the same fitting that your oil dummy light comes off. Are you using a oil pressure gauge? Do you have the greddy oil block adapter?

1 - 20 of 92 Posts