Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I have a 2002 RS and I decided to switch to Mobil 1 10W-30 FUll sythetic last oil change and I took it for its frist run with it to work today and I heard a knocking sound I have not heard before. It was a bit strange because it would come and go. It would go away during full open throttle. It would be much more noticible when I would turn the steering wheel left some. Now my work is an hour away and by the end of my trip it was not there as much barely noticible if it was. So what do you guys think it is? I read that it may be a bearing after switching to sythetic? IF you need more info I will gladly post it. Thanks so much I just don't want to be running my car if its going to hurtful to my engine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your low on oil... put more in
I put a bit over 4 quarts in when I filled it. I just checked my engine a bit under an hour and thirty minutes after I shut it off and it had oil on the dipstick up to the second notch, the full level. So I don't think that is it. Unless I am checking my oil wrong somehow.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh all I forgot to mention when I switched to synthetic I also put some engine flush in my engine and then ran and drained out the old oil and put synthetic in if that helps at all. I have about 71000 miles on it.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Engine flush is bad.

·
passport applied for
2,437 Posts
Never flush your engine,at least don't run it! if you want to flush it just warm it up,drain it and pour a couple quarts through it. did you run it with only the flush in it? my friend did it and let his idle for 5 minutes,then drained and filled with oil, it was knocking at the first start up. Damn i wish they didn't sell that SHIT!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never flush your engine,at least don't run it! if you want to flush it just warm it up,drain it and pour a couple quarts through it. did you run it with only the flush in it? my friend did it and let his idle for 5 minutes,then drained and filled with oil, it was knocking at the first start up. Damn i wish they didn't sell that SHIT!!
I did what the instructions said. Add to engine and let run for 5 mins. then drain and change oil. I did this because I read online that it would be a good thing to do before making the switch to a synthetic oil. Also why should an engine never be flushed? I mean my father has a F-150 ( i know its really different than our car) and he has flushed it several times since he got it in 2001 and he has not had any engine problems yet.

·
passport applied for
2,437 Posts
He will! i would remove some oil and add slick 50 or equivilent. just look at what the engine flush looks like. it's like running transmission fluid or worse,no film to protect metals. replace new oil filter and add slick 50,that is what i would do. hope your lucky!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He will! i would remove some oil and add slick 50 or equivilent. just look at what the engine flush looks like. it's like running transmission fluid or worse,no film to protect metals. replace new oil filter and add slick 50,that is what i would do. hope your lucky!
Hmm well thats a long will then I mean its been over 100,000 miles since he has done that. but anyways thats off topic. my question is still what do you think the problem may be and why is engine flush bad you say its like transmission fluid so its bad?

·
passport applied for
2,437 Posts
look, i changed to synthetic also. i didn't flush my engine,i just changed my oil. i have no noise except normal valve tick. if your engines full of oil i wouldn't be afraid to drive it. i would however change the oil and filter again to remove any left over engine flush,it may be a little expensive but i think it would be worth it. you will have to search for more on flushing an engine but i know of no one who will advise it. except a shop which would love to install you a new engine. good day, gotta go back to work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
look, i changed to synthetic also. i didn't flush my engine,i just changed my oil. i have no noise except normal valve tick. if your engines full of oil i wouldn't be afraid to drive it. i would however change the oil and filter again to remove any left over engine flush,it may be a little expensive but i think it would be worth it. you will have to search for more on flushing an engine but i know of no one who will advise it. except a shop which would love to install you a new engine. good day, gotta go back to work.
Thank you I appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so here's the update.
I drove home yesterday from work with the same problem. I listened more carefully and studied like when the noise came and went.
I bought my eclipse with 47,xxx and now has 71,xxxx.
I live on a very rocky dirt road and after having my eclipse for three years on that I think something finally went. I now suspect it is probably just coincidence and I have an issue with my right front end such as the tie rod or something.
Also I have had no engine problems yet and no loss of power.
I am going to call my mechanic and see when he can take a look at it. I think I was just getting a bit panicy since I just switched to synthetic but we will see what my mechanic says. I had a friend drive the car for a bit and he completely agreed.

·
Pissed
1,387 Posts
It's entirely possible that you knocked something loose on the suspension if you dropped the car using a jack. I'd still err on the side of caution and do another oil change though. Maybe start with a dino/synth blend and go full synth on the next oil change after that.

·
hates "smart" people
3,569 Posts
I've done the same thing. switched to synthetic without engine flush.
no problem except the occasional ticking noise.

the problem with engine flush is that there might be leftovers in the engine itself. (passage ways or some notch)

you could try using a synthetic blend.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I am not driving it at the moment and will be taking it to my mechanic on monday. If its not suspension I will change my oil again. I think it is suspension now cuz when i would go slow like 5mph I might hear the noise but it be louder and more time between the noise. But if I am going like 40 The noises seem to blend together more so it seems speed related. If I have time this weekend or tmrw im going to jack my car up and take a look wiggle the front hubs and such.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so here is the update...

The knocking noises were from my two front sway bars that needed to be replaced

Sweet so no engine problems...or so I thought

Not a biggy but they claim my oil pan is leaking now... which I find weird becuase I drove my car for about 75 miles after I did the change and never saw a drop leak so I think maybe they may of hit something and made it go...

Anyways I am going to take it home and look at it.

A couple questions if you guys could help out. Should I be like you guys caused my oil pan to do that because it wasnt doing it before or just let it be.
And anyone got a used oil pan or know where to get one cheap? I don't think they are hard to install from my knowledge but has anyone done this and how hard/long is it?

Thanks a bunch :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
usually your oil pan leaking does not mean you need an oil pan. do you see holes? do you see where it is leaking? it is probably the gasket if anything.
Well I am grabbing my car when I get home today and looking at it. All he told was it was rusty which I already knew from changing my oil plenty of times before, but I never had any problems with leaks. I will let you guys know what I see when I look at my car today.

Oh yeah it was about $203 for the front end to be fixed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts