Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to read some of the other threads and cant seem to find my spicific issue.

I go to start my car when its warm outside everything is fine idles and starts perfect. If I start my car when its cold outside i hear knocking sound as if i have no oil and cant figgure out what it is. Sometimes is just start it and if it knocks i shut it off and turn it back on and no sound just like normal.

Any suggestions?

·
54,424 Posts
how long does the sound last for? where does it sound like the sound is coming from? will it do it again later in the day when the engine is cold again or does it only do it once per day or only if you havent driven it for more than a day?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It i havnt let it knock for to long but i have driven with it and its does not go away, the knocking/clicking just knocks more rapidly. I cant really figure out the spot of origin. Yeah if i drive to work do my daily thing come out later to go home yeah it does it agian. But yeah turn it on, off then on agian and the sound usually goes away.

·
Dread Pirate Roberts
377 Posts
My GT does this in the cold as well. I'm not sure, but I think itl is the lifters clacking because the oil hasn't coated them very well yet.

And yes, if I shut down the car and wait a few seconds the noise is gone.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn that noise is imbarising. So is it something that just needs to be dealt with or will a differnt oil do the deed.

·
5-Spd's FTW
1,595 Posts
my RS does the same thing when its cold. i just let it idle for a minute, warm it up, and then go about my driving normally. it fades away after a while.

I think itl is the lifters clacking because the oil hasn't coated them very well yet.
im pretty sure youve got the right idea here, cuz i just changed my oil, and it still makes it. i think its just a noisy top end when its a cold start.

·
What Speed Limit?
604 Posts
'Lifter Tick' is a very common problem in older/higher milage V6's. Do a search, there are dozens of possible remedies ranging from additives to different brand/weight/type of oil.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Ok, I don't want you to get upset over this, because apparently some people think I'm being a dick...that's not my intention at all...but, read over this thread and see if there is any other information you could give us. At this point we don't know how many miles are on the car, what you've done to the car, what other problems may have been present, etc.

http://www.club3g.com/forum/problem-reports/104059-read-before-posting-any-problem-reports.html

At first you described the problem as a "knock", but then you refer to it as a "knocking/clicking"...there's a big difference between a knock and a click. Does the engine "run" smooth while this noise is happening, or is it shaking and seem to sputter? Try and be as descriptive as you can as to what it is and isn't doing...and include any more information from that link that would help us diagnose this for you...at this point I'd say it may just be the typical lifter tick, but without being able to hear the vehicle first hand, I don't want to just make that assumption without more information...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK its an 03 gt v6 3.0 L with 70k on it. Its bone stock other than the AEM cold air intake. No other previouse issues. The cars runs great even during the cold starts where the KNOCKING happens and after reading some of the posts i read, i drove it with the KNOCKING and It does fade away right about when the car warms up and idles at about 1,1.5 rpm. I was told synthetic could be my issue so i switched to to castrol synthec blend 50/50 and still same issue. To me it sounds like an oil issue. Ill do my best to get you all a adio file to pin point te issue afetr work today.

Thanks to all

·
54,424 Posts
probably your lifters bleeding down and then not pumping up as fast as they should in this cold weather. it can sure sound like knocking for a little bit till they re fill with oil. i'd suggest about 1/2 can of seafoam in the oil about 20 miles before you change the oil. or 1/2 can and then change the oil in 20 miles. it'll come out all sorts of nasty looking like oily sludgy mud which is normal because its dissolving out the buildups and gunk in there. you may want to do this again if the problem hasnt gotten any better. i think i remember seeing a thread way back about some stealth guys who were drilling the fill holes in the injectors slightly larger, but thats not a light project at all to take on.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'd suggest about 1/2 can of seafoam in the oil about 20 miles before you change the oil. or 1/2 can and then change the oil in 20 miles. it'll come out all sorts of nasty looking like oily sludgy mud which is normal because its dissolving out the buildups and gunk in there. you may want to do this again if the problem hasnt gotten any better. i think i remember seeing a thread way back about some stealth guys who were drilling the fill holes in the injectors slightly larger, but thats not a light project at all to take on.

Its worth a shot, Yeah that projects a chore with limited tools at hand

·
Registered
267 Posts
yaaa man my car does the same thing...i just started using synthetic oil and still does...look at it this way the car is 5 years old its gone through alot and my guss is that it will keep doing it but at least its not ahuge issue

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yaaa man my car does the same thing...i just started using synthetic oil and still does...look at it this way the car is 5 years old its gone through alot and my guss is that it will keep doing it but at least its not ahuge issue
Yeah, I'd still like to fix it though

·
Registered
358 Posts
I solved my lifter tick issue by adding about a quart of diesel fuel into the crankcase and let the engine idle for a few minutes right before i changed the oil. Diesel is a great detergent. It breaks up most of the "Sludge" when i do this. On a side note, the FSM says to use diesel fuel when cleaning and charging the lifters when rebuilding the motor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts