Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've ordered KYB AGX shock/struts (734019 RF, 734020 LF and 741020, Eclipse 00-05) which will be installed on a 2002 Galant. Would anyone know if these are adjusted with a small slotted screwdriver by turning the screw head on top of the piston rod or external knob? Also, what settings, front & rear are being used by Eclipse owners and should I use same setting once installed on 2002 Galant ES-V6? Your comments, suggestions and time is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Those are the same exact ones I have for my Eclipse. They are 4-way adjustable via the small dial on top of the struts/shocks that you push in and turn with a small screwdriver. As for settings, there's a sticky or a how-to on here that describes what the settings equate to...I'd tell you what I have mine set at, but they're still in my living room...hopefully they'll be going on next week...

·
Registered
980 Posts
Just go out and drive on them. Start them all set to 4, then set the front to 3 then to 2 then to 1, then start all over with the rear leaving the front at 4. Just try every combo till your satisfied. I use a mild setup for the street then a more aggressive setup for track. You just gotta spend a Saturday afternoon and a tank of gas to get yourself where you want to be.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your replys are appreciated, thanks. I agree that road testing would be the way to find a good balance. Just thought I'd ask mto get somewhat of a baseline. I currently have Tein kit # SKR72-AUB00 installed with KYB GR-2 (#235630 RF, #235631 LF and #341293 rear), SPC Performance front camber Kit # 8120 & rear camber kit # 73600 and RMDSM front/rear sway bars as well. Stock shock/strut mounts were left in place. All was installed 5/05(19,659 miles, now 35,200).
It seems the ride since has gotten lower and out less stiff.

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
On my Galant I have same setup and 1 being the soft ride and 4 being go kart feel. 1 is not soft like they say. Maybe if you ride on stock tires, I guess. I drive on 2 front and 1 rear. It rides ok.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
right now I'm on 1 front 2 rear. That's subject to change. 3 was a bit harsh
for me with the speed bumps I have to encounter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
raz_76 and 1LarryLB, glad to have Galant owners reply, thanks! How long have you both had the AGX setup and have either of you experienced any "softness"on the AGX due to the lowering of the Tein springs? The KYB GR-2's I guess are not ment to be used with aftermarket springs(although Tein states can be used with OEM shocks/struts). I also have 17" OEM wheels from 2006 Eclipse.

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
^^ You can use the TEINS with KYB GR2s dude, it only lowers your ride about 1.7 front and 1.3 rear.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
raz_76, that's the setup I currently have however, overtime the GR-2's seem to have gone bad(installed at 19,659 miles, now 35,200). I've been told by KYB representative that the GR-2's are only 15% stiffer than stock and shouldn't be used with lowered springs (voids warranty). I believe that KYB supplies OEM shocks/springs for Mitsubishi as well.
1LarryLB, assumed you had Galant, my apologies.

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
^^^ There all going to say that dude. I bet you if ask them to do a 5spd swap in the Galant , they will say some crap similar to that, cant be done. I think if you do a TEIN s techs with the KYB GR2, they should be ok but Im not 100% sure. Come over to Galantforums.com and find out there. I know there are some guys that are running that set up and you can ask them. I've been running Tein s techs on my daily Galant with stock struts for 6 months now and no issues, drives smooth.

·
Pissed
1,387 Posts
I have mine set to 1 and 1. I feel like it's ten times better than stock. A bit stiffer, but much better responsiveness and way less roll. For the money, one of the best upgrades I've done on the car. Had them set to 2 and 2 for a while, but after a 300 mile highway trip and a sore back, I set them all back to the lowest setting.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have mine set to 1 and 1. I feel like it's ten times better than stock. A bit stiffer, but much better responsiveness and way less roll. For the money, one of the best upgrades I've done on the car. Had them set to 2 and 2 for a while, but after a 300 mile highway trip and a sore back, I set them all back to the lowest setting.
There is a warning in the paperwork somewhere when you get your shocks that says not to run the settings at 1 for the majority of your time. It will cause them to wear a lot faster requiring a rebuild of them sooner.

·
Banned
4,408 Posts
Just go out and drive on them. Start them all set to 4, then set the front to 3 then to 2 then to 1, then start all over with the rear leaving the front at 4. Just try every combo till your satisfied. I use a mild setup for the street then a more aggressive setup for track. You just gotta spend a Saturday afternoon and a tank of gas to get yourself where you want to be.
what kind of setup do you have for the track. Im trying to figure out what everyone is running

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Will check out Galantforums.com, thanks raz_76. As for the settings, the KYB AGX's come from KYB pre-set to 2 for the 4 setting shock/struts. As kidney_bean previously stated, the adjustments are made on top by using a small slotted screwdriver and pressing down then turning on top of piston. The slotted wheel is very small! Will install with setting on 2 (as crazy_ugly_coand did) and post results.

If interested in ordering KYB AGX shock/struts for $345 shipped, contact the following;

Ken
88 ROTORS
8610 Garvey Ave
Rosemead, CA 91770
[email protected]
[email protected]
626.288.2505 // 888.ROTORS.88 // FAX: 626.288.2522
Cell: 626.848.6070

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
I'd suggest setting the AGXs on #1 for the install. It was easier for me to mount them like that than it was while set on 2. You have to compress them a little to get them on the wheel hub thingy. Having them on a higher setting just makes them stiffer and the job more difficult. Once they were all in place and mounted I the adjusted them to #2. Just a thought...

FWIW, I use 2/2 on my daily driver, but I have to watch out for potholes like a hawk.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
what kind of setup do you have for the track. Im trying to figure out what everyone is running
I thought you were running Megan coilovers? :scratch:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just to follow up, the AGX shocks/struts were installed (left on setting 2) and the ride seems great. Stiff but not harsh. The front GR-2's were shot and also had to replace the front two end links with Moog greasable end links; K7430 LF & K7431 RF.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts