Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking into this procedure, gonna talk to my doctor as soon as I can get an appointment about it. I'm 100 pounds overweight and I've been trying for years to control myself enough to lose some weight. I have a hard time counting calories and my work schedule makes it hard to do as I don't always get a break for lunch. For those of you who don't know the lapband is a procedure very similar in results to gastral bypass but is alot safer. Basically it's a band that they put around the stomach that they fill with saline solution. it makes the stomach smaller just like the bypass to help the person lose weight, by limiting how much they can eat. It's supposed to be alot safer because 1. it's not permanant. It can be removed at any time. 2. It's adjustable, the doctors can add more saline or remove saline to make it tighter or looser via a port just under your skin by sticking a small needle in it. Anyways I was just wondering if anybody here knows anybody with it? What do they think of it? Is it working for them? A friends of mines aunt has it and she's lost 100 pounds in a year. Here's a link for those who want more information. What do you guys think?

lapband

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
In an effort to stay positive, I'll say this - I've known or seen several people who have gotten either lapband of gastric bypass, and it certainly does work. It can't not, really. It's physiology. However, it is the time WELL AFTER the surgery to be concerned with, and use the time with the lapband to reeducate yourself and change the bad habits. Good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In an effort to stay positive, I'll say this - I've known or seen several people who have gotten either lapband of gastric bypass, and it certainly does work. It can't not, really. It's physiology. However, it is the time WELL AFTER the surgery to be concerned with, and use the time with the lapband to reeducate yourself and change the bad habits. Good luck to you.
That's actually what I'm hoping for with this. To teach myself better habits. I just have a hard time doing it on my own.

·
Chalk City Bitch
14,263 Posts
I agree with what Damian said. If you go through it and don't manage to adopt healthy eating habits and the lifestyle to maintain it, you won't be successful long term. It's not a magic bullet. The weight comes off a lot slower with the lap band than with gastric bypass but it isn't a permanent change either. I'd definitely suggest doing plenty of homework.

I would not give up on yourself though. You can lose 100 lbs on your own, look at the people that are featured not just on The Biggest Loser, but people that do it off tv. They do it by will power, dedication and committment. You said yourself that you don't get a lunch break...why is that? By law you are supposed to. If you skip that meal it is no wonder you battle your weight. Your blood sugar is probably all over the place.

In addition to educating yourself on the lap band I'd suggest educating yourself on doing it without that, perhaps consulting a nutritionist that can work with you and get a plan set up for you to try to follow where you're eating smaller meals several times a times a day rather than seeing you become dependent upon the lap band to assist you.

Maybe you haven't been able to do it yourself because you haven't had the tools to help you do it? Arm yourself with some and try it out! You can do it!!

·
Call it Karma
2,782 Posts
One of my teachers in high school had this done because she was extremely overweight. She had lost more than 100 lbs since the procedure. Good luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So as it turns out my insurance won't cover anything obesity related. That sucks. But anyways. That just means I have to start going to the ymca and lose this gut the old fashion way huh.

·
Chalk City Bitch
14,263 Posts
So as it turns out my insurance won't cover anything obesity related. That sucks. But anyways. That just means I have to start going to the ymca and lose this gut the old fashion way huh.
Though I bet they pay for all the comorbidities caused by obesity. :happysad:

Get focused and make it something you're really committed to. You have a lot of people here that will support you!!

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Its a quick fix to a bigger problem. If you dont learn you are just going to have issues down the road. if you dont care to educate yourself on diet, foods, health, fitness then why even care if you are in fact overweight. The fact is in the time you are about to invest in reading about the lapband, doctors visits, surgery, etc...you could have spent reading on proper foods to eat, how to eat, started exercising, and lose the weight on your own. Not only will you be better off for educating yourself so that you may in fact help others....you will have got healthy and made a LIFE change not a temporary change.

·
3G all gone...
487 Posts
The Lap Band is a good weight reduction procedure, however, it does come with some risks just as any other surgery would. I'f you're overweight to begin with, surgery alone could kill you - pulmonary embolus, heart attack, DVT, prolonged post-op intubation, atelectasis, pneumonia, even death - risks associated with any surgery. However, being obese automatically places you in the "high surgical risk" category. The lap band is different than a bypass, and it comes with it's own set of potential complications. We had a patient come in the other day with a band complaining of intense abd pain. Her band actually slipped and a majority of her stomach herniated through the band - she required open surgery for correction. They can also get infected, leading to sepsis. Lap bands do loose weight, but at a different rate than bypass patients do. However, 5 year data shows them to be equivalent weight loss mechanisms at this time point (1 looses weight really fast and slows down, the other is progessive).

Not trying to dissuade you from the procedure, just make sure you educate yourself first a little more before committing. Find a Bariatric Center of Excellence - a hospital that performs ALOT of these every year that has received special status for these procedures - surgical and floor staff that know how to care for obesity related procedures. IOW - don't go to Mexico. These centers usually offer group meetings with post-op people to show progress, also for potentials to ask questions.

I also echo the facts point out to lifestyle related changes. This procedure tightens your proximal stomach to the volume of 1 cup, essentially making you feel full all of the time. Once you have it removed, it's technically open season again for your eating habits.

Do some searching and alot of educating, even setup an appointment with a surgeon specialized in weight reduction to see if you're even a candidate. There are some criteria related to BMI, insurance (as mentioned) whether or not you would even be considered for the procedure in the first place. Start with your family doc to receive a referral to a weight loss surgeon, and go from there. Hope that helps.

·
Chalk City Bitch
14,263 Posts
Looks like you missed the part where he said that it is no longer an option. Insurance won't cover it.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I signed up for the YMCA today. I'm going to go tomorrow morning before work and start doing some cardio. it's gonna probably be rough until I get an ipod or something to keep my mind occupied while I'm doing it though. I want to lose 100 pounds. but I would settle for losing 80 and making it muscle weigh too.

·
3G all gone...
487 Posts
Looks like you missed the part where he said that it is no longer an option. Insurance won't cover it.
It's always an option - he'd just have to pay for it himself. Just because insurance won't cover it doesn't equal out of the question.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's always an option - he'd just have to pay for it himself. Just because insurance won't cover it doesn't equal out of the question.
It is out of the question. I can't afford to pay for this out of pocket. I'm trying to put everything I can away in case the nations economy crashes.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hows the diet look?
that's gonna take some work I have a lot of bad habits that I'm having a hard time braking. I.e. mountain dew, fried foods, pizza. I think the pop and the fried foods I can do more easily than the pizza. I went for 2 weeks thismonth without any. I broke down though on a stressful day. I can do it. though. The pizza though is a vice I've never been able to break. I have it once a week. it's kind of a routine for me.

·
Hola
1,714 Posts
The pizza isn't that bad if you limit yourself on it. Ask for light marinara sauce on it. And just get cheese. hand tossed is much better than deep dish, and only eat about 2 pieces. IF you MUST have more toppings like peperoni or sausage for flavor, try asking for green peppers and tomatoes or something. Really it's not the food thats bad, its the habits along with it. I know when I eat pizza its with all the guys and a few pops/beers, 5 slices, with wings and chips..

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Well yeah...those habits arent good. The mt Dew can be broken easily. After a week or 2 of drinking water you wont even miss it. And like i said a while back in another thread. Most often when people feel hungry they are actually just thirsty. And if you drink 2 glasses of cold water every 3-4 hrs you will actually speed up your metabolism. The fried foods need to go..but the pizza can remain. 2 slices once a week is fine. You have to have that moment every week where you cheat. Everyone does it....just make sure its in moderation.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright so a little update I went to gnc last night and bought a multi vitamin (mega men sport), and a bottle of Hoodia. I decided my first step needs to be getting my appetite under control. that's a large beast to tame. The girl at gnc said that this would help me control it by making my brain think I'm full. She said your only supposed to take one a day but she takes 2 and has no problem. I read the instructions and it said to take 1 an hour before lunch and 1 an hour before dinner. I'm going to start taking that tomorrow. I've begun walking at the YMCA this week finally. I'd rather shed a few pounds before I start really going at it with running. I guess I figure it will take a lot more stress off of my heart and my body to wait til I lose a little bit first. Question is. Will I lose alot of weight off of just the Hoodia? I mean if it's going to help limit what I can eat I should lose some right?

·
Chalk City Bitch
14,263 Posts
How much water are you drinking? Water intake can be huge on helping with your appetite. I've read in several places that you should be drinking half your body weight in ounces of water, so if you're 200 lbs... 100 oz. Plus if you're working out, you need to intake even more.

As for the bad habits you said are going to take some time to break, how is that going? Weight loss is as much a mental battle as it is physical and emotional. It is definitely mind over matter and just being flat out straight with yourself and what you're really doing. If you really want to do this, you can but you have to believe in yourself and stick it out even though it's probably the hardest thing you've ever done. The hoodia may or may not work, it may just be a crutch. Try it, see if it works but rely more on a healthy diet and daily exercise to get your metabolism fired up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts