Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
GO SOX
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing short tubes I bought here from k0r3n_ooh, and after plenty of wrestling to get the original headers off, I realized something was wrong. The headers didn't fit at all (the headers went 4-2 and the downpipe went 2-1), so I figured I'd have to get a pipe welded to some flanges and installed take place of the downpipe. Since the header-downpipe gasket disintegrated (P-Blaster works great) and I needed to put the original header back, I went to Advanced Auto to pick up a gasket. As we were looking at exhaust diagrams for my 3G, I realized that the downpipe was supposed to be a single tube, so we looked at the exhaust diagram for a 2G Spyder and lo and behold, the previous owner (or possibly the dealer) for some reason put Spyder headers and a downpipe in the car, which worked, but is making the header job a bitch. This set up took out the first pre-cat, and I'll be taking out the next one by replacing the downpipe.

Just why would someone do this though?! I'm guessing it was a clumsy back-to-stock job (I had my doubts to begin with since the header is missing a heat shield). How I've not thrown any codes since having the car, I'll never know.

·
Stock N Slow...
163 Posts
Well, he mentioned a pre-cat as well as the original down pipe being a single tube, so I would hazard to guess he has a Cali-spec.

I have a Fed-spec 2000 GS, and the stock DP is 2-1, just like any aftermarket header setup.

·
GO SOX
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an RS, so from my understanding there isn't a Fed-Spec or Cali-Spec, thsoe are just for the V6s. We were looking at the exhaust diagram of a stock RS, where the header is 4-1 to a cat, which goes to the downpipe, and on to the rest of the exhaust.

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
GO SOX
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah that looks exactly like mine...that's really strange though, however mine has a pre-cat and a cat, not just a single cat (the pre-cat is on the downpipe and the regular one is further up) unless I'm mixing things up. I'll try to get pictures in the next couple of days. Either way I need a new pipe now :/

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
kickin it old school
1,487 Posts
Why don't you try reading this to find out...
How do I tell if I have Cali or Federal emissions?
(8/06/2001)

There are two ways to do this.

On the GT, the easiest is to slide under the front of the car, near the passenger tire. Look up. If you see a big bulky rectangular thing with some pipes coming out of it, you've got Cali emissions. If don't, you've got fed emmissions.

The second way involves looking at some numbers and appears to be valid for 2000 model year Eclipses only. Pop the hood of the car. There is a sticker on the firewall behind the engine. It's behind the intake plenum, on the plenum's passenger side. On that sticker is a series of numbers and letters. If the 2nd to last number is a 9, you've got Cali emissions. If it's a 4, you've got a Fed spec car.

There may be a third way, though there hasn't been enough discussion to determine the accuracy of this method. Pop the hood and look along the fuel injector rail. If you see a wire bundle, you've got Cali emissions. If you don't, it's a Fedederal emissions vehicle.

Quicklink Code:

<A HREF=http://www.club3g.com/forum/faq.php#E3A07E80-AD51-11d5-9CAF-00105AA41E05>FAQ: How do I tell if I have Cali or Federal emissions?</A>
FAQ: How do I tell if I have Cali or Federal emissions?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Yeah that looks exactly like mine...that's really strange though, however mine has a pre-cat and a cat, not just a single cat (the pre-cat is on the downpipe and the regular one is further up) unless I'm mixing things up. I'll try to get pictures in the next couple of days. Either way I need a new pipe now :/
http://www.club3g.com/forum/3g-eclipse-rs-gs-specific/92151-have-question.html

I'm not sure if you linked to this thread off of the link provided by MitsEclipseGS about his a/f gauge, but I just updated it with a pick of my orignial Cali spec header (well, you can see the heat shield clear as day)...scroll down to the bottom to see it. Unfortunately, I can't take any more pics of it since I sold that header when I got my CMF one, but I can tell you that the first O2 sensor screwed in up in front of the precat, which is vertical and starts just after that heat shield ends, and the whole header/precat assembly is just that, one assembly that reached down to about the oil pan. Then, a mid-pipe goes from there to the cat-back, and obviously includes the main cat and rear O2 sensor. That description is for a Cali-spec. If your header looks like the ones posted by RadEclipse or Bitter in that link, then you have a Fed-spec.

Why don't you try reading this to find out...
How do I tell if I have Cali or Federal emissions?
(8/06/2001)

There are two ways to do this.

On the GT, the easiest is to slide under the front of the car, near the passenger tire. Look up. If you see a big bulky rectangular thing with some pipes coming out of it, you've got Cali emissions. If don't, you've got fed emmissions.

The second way involves looking at some numbers and appears to be valid for 2000 model year Eclipses only. Pop the hood of the car. There is a sticker on the firewall behind the engine. It's behind the intake plenum, on the plenum's passenger side. On that sticker is a series of numbers and letters. If the 2nd to last number is a 9, you've got Cali emissions. If it's a 4, you've got a Fed spec car.

There may be a third way, though there hasn't been enough discussion to determine the accuracy of this method. Pop the hood and look along the fuel injector rail. If you see a wire bundle, you've got Cali emissions. If you don't, it's a Fedederal emissions vehicle.

Quicklink Code:

<A HREF=http://www.club3g.com/forum/faq.php#E3A07E80-AD51-11d5-9CAF-00105AA41E05>FAQ: How do I tell if I have Cali or Federal emissions?</A>
FAQ: How do I tell if I have Cali or Federal emissions?
The FAQs are great and all, but you brought out one of the big problems I have with them...their focus is too narrow. They provide a great description of the difference in exhaust for a GT, but don't say anything for us 4G64 guys...

·
kickin it old school
1,487 Posts
The FAQs are great and all, but you brought out one of the big problems I have with them...their focus is too narrow. They provide a great description of the difference in exhaust for a GT, but don't say anything for us 4G64 guys...
I used the second tip to find out what my car was, if that provides any help, since yes...I know they are GT based.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I used the second tip to find out what my car was, if that provides any help, since yes...I know they are GT based.
Cool...I'm glad that part works for us...:lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts