Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone has bought these LED conversion kit lights or similar for their 3G eclipse. Would they work with a stock headlight assembly meaning just unplug the halogen bulb and pop the led conversion in, or would I need anything else. Is there anything I should be careful about when considering these. Thanks in advance.
Output device Font Cameras & optics Camera accessory Camera

· Registered
4 Posts
My buddy got LED's in his 01 GT and from what I remember he had to rewire them so they would work, he had issues at some point, but he was able to fix the wiring. These are just the bulbs as he got a halo housing so Im not too sure if it would work. I would check the connections on the bulbs themselves.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My buddy got LED's in his 01 GT and from what I remember he had to rewire them so they would work, he had issues at some point, but he was able to fix the wiring. These are just the bulbs as he got a halo housing so Im not too sure if it would work. I would check the connections on the bulbs themselves.
They are just bulbs with a conversion connector that connects the LED bulbs to the stock halogen connector. Just want to know if using LED would melt my housing or connectors.

· Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
756 Posts
I found something I like better. These are bulbs I bought for some of my old vintage motorcycles. They fit in the Eclipse housings perfectly. The brand is Auxito. They are LED. All LED's run cooler than the original halogen bulbs. Here is a picture of the box. You have to use the non-canbus type as they make them both non-canbus and canbus. I have had mine in my Spyder for better than a year
. Great light output and no big driver on the back to get in the way. You can buy them on Ebay. ...J.D.

Tire Automotive tire Hood Wheel Motor vehicle

· Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
756 Posts
I had already changed out the original housings with the same type because they were so cloudy. When I installed the Auxito bulb in one of my motorcycles I realized that is what my Spyder needed. I have been real happy with them. They fit like the original bulbs [direct plug in] and are bright white. They have a good, flat light pattern that works well. ...J.D.

· Super Moderator
54,086 Posts
No LED will focus properly in a halogen reflector housing, or for that matter in any housing made for a halogen bulb. Some projector housings can handle the single plane of light emitted by a LED better than others but reflector housings especially handle that poorly. This causes several issues, primarily excessive glare for oncoming drivers and excessive light on the ground close up to the car. This increases the perceived brightness to the driver while actually reducing overall night visibility because of how the human brain and human eyes work. Our eyes are poorly built and our brains are stupid, let me explain.
When you light an area close in to yourself very brightly then try to look into the dark distance your pupils are constricted by the close in light which reduces the ability of your eyes to gather light. When an oncoming car has their high beams on and the rest of the world goes apparently darker this is why, turns out when your own headlights are aimed too low or just focus light in the wrong places the same thing happens. Then our dumb monkey brains make it worse, our eyes naturally drift to where it's easier to see which is where the light is the brightest. You end up washing out your distance night vision because it's too bright up close and your brain keeps putting your eyes down there up close, you don't look far enough ahead. At 60mph you're moving almost 90 feet every second but probably only looking 60 feet in front of your car if that.
But why does a LED in a reflector bowl only light up the road near the car more brightly? It has to do with how halogen optics are designed to work. The part of the reflector bowl that provides the farthest thrown illumination is nearer to the back of the headlight around the base of the bulb. Halogen filaments throw light in a mostly even orb with the hottest (and brightest) parts in the middle of the filament (HID are brightest at the ends of the arc near the electrodes). LED's put out the most light in the middle of the chip. Sounds good so far right? Here's where the problem comes in, LED's throw their light straight out with some incidental scattering to the sides depending on the lensing or lack of lensing on the emitter. Throw to the back of the headlight bowl near the base of the bulb is substantially dimmer than straight up, the area directly above the LED emitter creates foreground close in to the car illumination. Ok but the LED is soo much brighter so the light that DOES hit the back is still more than a halogen bulb! Yes! BUT remember, stupid eyes stupid brain, the now overly lit foreground negates those gains. Then you have this big gap in the light output from the LED substrate and bulb assembly and a bunch of light straight down that's too bright for the housing to properly control which causes a lit of upwards glare wasting light you can't use to see down the road and blinding everyone else like your high beams are on and RUINING THE NIGHT VISION of oncoming drivers too!

The best light for a halogen headlight is a halogen bulb. You can make halogen the best it can be by running a relay harness to reduce voltage drop and getting higher performance halogen bulbs (not blue tinted ones) with either slightly higher wattage (too high and you will melt/burn the reflector) or higher output per watt.
While not technically legal there are some bolt in projector options for running HID bulbs in HID projectors, I do this on one of my H4 equipped cars with excellent results using a G5R projector and a pair of used Denso ballasts. I have high performance OEM lighting on a budget with fairly minimal work involved that lights the road properly and does not blind anyone else (unless I high beam them because they're blinding me).

I realize all this will probably fall on deaf ears because HURR DURR MOAR BRIGHTER I CAN SEE BETTER YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING but at least I gave the information, what you do with it is your choice but please remember that on the road your choices don't only affect you. Your blinding bright headlights could cause a family in a van to hit a deer or have an accident because you ruined their ability to see at night with your headlights which are also ruining your ability to see at night.

· Registered
2001 Spyder GT
584 Posts
While not technically legal there are some bolt in projector options for running HID bulbs in HID projectors

I've got the mini D2S projectors with HID bulbs, but that's not a drop-in replacement for OEM bulbs. You have to open the OEM fixture and replace the whole reflector.

But boy, it's so worth it! It's the same excellent quality lighting you'll see in any late-model car.

Automotive lighting Product Rim Bicycle part Auto part
Rectangle Road surface Asphalt Flooring Grass

· Super Moderator
54,086 Posts
I've got the mini D2S projectors with HID bulbs, but that's not a drop-in replacement for OEM bulbs. You have to open the OEM fixture and replace the whole reflector.

But boy, it's so worth it! It's the same excellent quality lighting you'll see in any late-model car.

View attachment 45721 View attachment 45722
Wait until you try the G5R, I used to have MD2S and upgraded and it was like going from halogen to HID all over again, easily a 100% upgrade over MD2S!
I've been curious about some of the drop in LED projectors, less parts but unknown quality and longevity but they also look like they'll fit into smaller spaces.

· Registered
756 Posts
I have tried several "drop-in" LED's, mostly on my motorcycles. I agreed with Bitter for the most part. The ones I mentioned above are the only ones I have found so far that worked well and they would probably not work in all applications. It depends a lot on the lens in front of them. ...J.D.

· Registered
2005 Spyder GT
868 Posts
Wait until you try the G5R, I used to have MD2S and upgraded and it was like going from halogen to HID all over again, easily a 100% upgrade over MD2S!
I've been curious about some of the drop in LED projectors, less parts but unknown quality and longevity but they also look like they'll fit into smaller spaces.
I recently installed Depo headlights, which have both a reflector and a projector lens, one for high, one for low, and wired to take H1 base, or H7, I'm not sure. They came with cheap Osram halogen bulbs. I am not thrilled with the adjustment mechanisms on these things but I think I've got it right now. I contacted Depo to ask for a recommendation regarding better bulbs but never heard back. So do you have any idea/recommendation what bulb I should use for each socket.
Also, since Depos are wired for two bulbs, what is the max watts per bulb or per side, to avoid melting the OEM harness?
Also, what bulb type and brand do you use in your foglights, which I believe on the '05 is H1? My foglight bulbs have lasted six years since I bought this car, but the lenses are hazed. Probably time for new setup, IDK?

· Registered
2005 Spyder GT
868 Posts
I have tried several "drop-in" LED's, mostly on my motorcycles. I agreed with Bitter for the most part. The ones I mentioned above are the only ones I have found so far that worked well and they would probably not work in all applications. It depends a lot on the lens in front of them. ...J.D.
I looked up those bulbs but couldn't find ones with an H1 base, which are single filament. My Depo headlights use 2x H1, with both reflec and proj lenses.
Any ideas?

· Registered
756 Posts
My headlights are still H4, so it uses the 3 blade plug, but I am not really pleased with my fog lights [2001 model]. I haven't come up with a good conversion for them. The housing is so small it is hard to put an LED in there. I have some 55 watt halogen bulbs with a yellow tint in there right now. The circuit handles it OK. Maybe I'll change that someday. This car is not THAT high up on my priority list. ...J.D.

· Registered
2005 Spyder GT
868 Posts
My headlights are still H4, so it uses the 3 blade plug, but I am not really pleased with my fog lights [2001 model]. I haven't come up with a good conversion for them. The housing is so small it is hard to put an LED in there. I have some 55 watt halogen bulbs with a yellow tint in there right now. The circuit handles it OK. Maybe I'll change that someday. This car is not THAT high up on my priority list. ...J.D.
Pulling the bumper and installing aftermarket fogs is ALWAYS an option...
and replace the ugly amber blinker lenses while you are at it. Lol

· Registered
756 Posts
The "fog lights" on these cars are just decorative. If I did any major changes, I would just mount something different in the existing grill. I DID find some Auxito H3's that are supposed to fit the stock housings but I am pretty much done with playing with the car for this year. ...J.D.

· Registered
756 Posts
You guys convinced me. I just ordered me the clear turn signals. Good price and I don't know how much longer they will be available for the early car. Still want to upgrade the fog lights too. I want to keep them yellow and in the stock location. I prefer the look of the early front end. Time will tell what I come up with. ...J.D.
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
2005 Spyder GT
868 Posts
You guys convinced me. I just ordered me the clear turn signals. Good price and I don't know how much longer they will be available for the early car. Still want to upgrade the fog lights too. I want to keep them yellow and in the stock location. I prefer the look of the early front end. Time will tell what I come up with. ...J.D.
View attachment 45727
Now u gonna need those fancy color-changing led bulbs that Widgie is using!!!

· Registered
2005 Spyder GT
868 Posts
When you say "drop in led projectors," do you mean it is an led bulb with its own projector lens separate from the headlight housing? Could such an assembly be small enough to fit in a typical bulb socket yet large enough to be an effective projector lens, without having to open up the headlight?

· Registered
756 Posts
Here is a picture of my headlight with the Auxito Motorcycle LED installed. Stock housings. Even the little reflector over the bulb stays in place. No big driver housing on the back or adaptor cable to hook them up. The rubber weather seal on the back of the bulb is even in place [although it is a tight fit]. The light is bright white with less glare than the stock H4 bulb. These do not have a projector lens. You change nothing but the bulb. $18 each on Ebay. Of course, everyone installs what they like. I wanted a stock appearance with better lighting. That is what I got. New clear lens signals are next. ...J.D.
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle Grille Vehicle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts