Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, new member to the forums and a new owner of a 01 GT with 118k miles as of last week. I noticed today that my engine is tapping/ticking at idle and on rev, and after looking a through the forums I’m pretty positive is a lifter tap (video attached if you’re curious) and would love some affirmation on that. A lot of folks are saying “you learn to live with it,” I was curious if it’s something that should be fixed/is harmful to the engine.
I’m slowly refreshing everything in the car since the last owner didn’t take good care of it, and plan on doing my timing belt here in a week or so, just wondering if it’s worth my time/money to tackle this as well.
Here’s the video

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
454 Posts
At 143,000 I went to 20w50 oil. A little quieter. I live in a very hot climate, so I do not think the thicker oil will be too much problem. ...J.D.

·
Registered
7 Posts
At 143,000 I went to 20w50 oil. A little quieter. I live in a very hot climate, so I do not think the thicker oil will be too much problem. ...J.D.
Totally agree with you. If you want to quiet it down, use thicker oil, I don’t usually condone this but I know not everyone is financially stable or mechanically inclined. It’s not a bad thing but if I were you I’d get that fixed before your lifters collapse.

PS. if you run thicker oil, your mpg will decrease and your car will be a little sluggish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Totally agree with you. If you want to quiet it down, use thicker oil, I don’t usually condone this but I know not everyone is financially stable or mechanically inclined. It’s not a bad thing but if I were you I’d get that fixed before your lifters collapse.

PS. if you run thicker oil, your mpg will decrease and your car will be a little sluggish.
I’m definitely more on the fix it side of things over just quieting it down, I guess I’m just worried about how long it’ll last before I can afford to fix that since I still need to do timing (previous owner never replaced it). Think it’s good for at least a couple months of mainly weekend driving/touring?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m definitely more on the fix it side of things over just quieting it down, I guess I’m just worried about how long it’ll last before I can afford to fix that since I still need to do timing (previous owner never replaced it). Think it’s good for at least a couple months of mainly weekend driving/touring?
Ye man it’s driveable, my Eclipse GS Spyder only has 73k miles and does it. My other Eclipse is a GTS Spyder and doesn’t do it. She’s at 77k. I treat them both with Amsoil 5W-30 Synthetic. Works good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ye man it’s driveable, my Eclipse GS Spyder only has 73k miles and does it. My other Eclipse is a GTS Spyder and doesn’t do it. She’s at 77k. I treat them both with Amsoil 5W-30 Synthetic. Works good.
Thanks dog, I appreciate y’all heavily. I’ve always been a Subaru guy, so I’m more accustomed to 9 million oil leaks and suspension failure than engine noise. Y’all are great <3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks dog, I appreciate y’all heavily. I’ve always been a Subaru guy, so I’m more accustomed to 9 million oil leaks and suspension failure than engine noise. Y’all are great <3
We are here for you and anyone who needs help, we are more than glad you switched from that unreliable piece of sh¡t to a semi reliable car.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
454 Posts
Out where I live, it is well over 100 deg. all summer long. The thicker oil is no issue. When winter comes I can change it back. I am an old mechanic that commuted long distance for 30 years. Keeping em; alive was first priority. I have owned this one 17+ years. ...J.D.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT
380 Posts
I’m slowly refreshing everything in the car since the last owner didn’t take good care of it, and plan on doing my timing belt here in a week or so, just wondering if it’s worth my time/money to tackle this as well.
Welcome to the group! Ticking from the lifters / lash adjusters is pretty common and isn't a problem. I'd try bleeding them first using Mitsubishi's procedure below, because cleaning them or replacing them is a fairly involved job.

Also, good on you for making the timing belt a priority. There's a good thread with pictures in the "Garage" how-to forum. A more detailed description is at tearstone.com in the factory service manual, section 11-C. The rear bank likes to jump forward when you release the old timing belt. Also, the tensioner pulley takes some finesse to get into position and lock down properly. I'd buy the MD998738 tool.

Font Parallel Document Number Paper

·
USN
1,076 Posts
With as many people that have lifter tick, I wouldn't think it is something that really needs to be addressed. I've had it for over 100k and zero issues. I know people have cleaned or replaced the lifters just to have it come back. If it's really bothering you, sure, you can try to do something about it, but living with it is the easier and cheaper thing to do about.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The thing that bothers me about lifter noise is, noise means the valve lash is too loose. That leads to cam and cam follower wear. Mine was doing that every day at one time, but now it is only on cold starts. Hince I changed the grade of oil hoping it will keep the cam and lifters coated with oil when it is at rest. Seems to work so far. I started it up last night to go out and visit friends. It had not been run in a week or two. It started up quietly and ran well. Sounds great for a original, 22 year old engine that has never been apart in 143,000 miles. ...J.D.

·
Registered
2002 Eclipse GT 5 Speed
64 Posts
Out where I live, it is well over 100 deg. all summer long. The thicker oil is no issue. When winter comes I can change it back. I am an old mechanic that commuted long distance for 30 years. Keeping em; alive was first priority. I have owned this one 17+ years. ...J.D.
Texas has been like that too this summer so this opens my eyes a bit more. A guy I know had actually recommended this to me when my Talon started knocking as I have a 420A and the car had sat for a couple of years before I bought it and I haven't drove it since January because of it. But my friend has a knocking Hyundai 3.8L Azera swapped Sonata auto that he has been driving and it been running for a lil while now even though he's knocking. I just haven't tried it yet to know as i was scared the car would destroy itself. But now that you mention it, think I'll actually give it a try and head to the store later to see if it would work, at least until I can get him to help me replace my 420A for a fresh junkyard one!

You learn something new everyday! Thanks brother J.D.

Reactions: WhiteSpyder

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think the "lifters" bleed down on these engines when they sit overnight. Maybe the mfg. should have spec'ed a slightly higher viscosity oil in the first place. But if you keep running them rattling eventually, they will always rattle when the cams get worn. ...J.D.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey folks, new member to the forums and a new owner of a 01 GT with 118k miles as of last week. I noticed today that my engine is tapping/ticking at idle and on rev, and after looking a through the forums I’m pretty positive is a lifter tap (video attached if you’re curious) and would love some affirmation on that. A lot of folks are saying “you learn to live with it,” I was curious if it’s something that should be fixed/is harmful to the engine.
Here’s the video
If you are replacing the timing belt, and water pump; take off the valve cover and find out if a lifter needs to be replaced That low of miles I would run a can of Sea Foam through the intake and lubricate the valves or lifters.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Odd thing about the American culture that you do not find anywhere else in the world. People in this country think that anything can be solved by adding a can of this or buying this $19.95 add on gadget to make it better. The marketing people have them right where they want them. If a lifter needs replaced, replace a lifter. If an engine needs some attention, give it the proper service it needs. Do not pour some bottle of "swill" in your engine. If ANY of those "snake oil" products were of any value, the auto manufacturers would be all over them. Been a mechanic and engineer most of my life. That is all I have to say on the subject. ...J.D.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts