Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2000 GS, and I have almost always had the infamous lifter tick. I had the top-end of my engine rebuilt two summers ago due to a timing belt snapping (installed incorrectly by dealership), which ended up wreaking havoc and bending a valve. After the top-end was rebuilt, the lifter tick was gone up until the cold weather hit.

Now, if I go on a long trip where a lot of the driving is highway miles, the tick will eventually subside. I have also used Seafoam a few times, and it would only get rid of the tick for a week at a time. With that said, here is my question:

When I get an oil change, the tick will be constant right after the change, no matter how much driving I do. About 1,000-1,500 miles after the oil change, the lifter tick begins to go away. Why would the tick start to go away, cold temperature or not, when the oil is older?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Some of the additives in the oil are probably beginning to break down by the 1,500 mile mark (unless you're using like Mobile 1 or something like that)...at least, that would be my guess.

Have you tried Marvel Mystery Oil instead of the Seafoam though? I know the Seafoam stuff seems to be more popular in the Import world, but MMO was always the tried and true eliminator of lifter tap in the muscle car realm...

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never tried the Marvel Mystery Oil, although I have heard about it. Awhile ago, a lot of people were praising Seafoam, so that's why I tried it out. I'll look into it though for sure.

Would using a thinner oil really help whatever is going on here? I mean, it's confusing me to begin with. The way that I see it, the oil that is put in is going to be thinner than the oil once it's been used for 1,500 miles or so. So it seems as though the thicker oil is helping to subside the tick...

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bump

·
Appalachian State
1,574 Posts
I have that little tick but it isnt any were near as bad as yours. Marvel made it go away for me, for awhile but comes back when it needs new oil.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I have never tried the Marvel Mystery Oil, although I have heard about it. Awhile ago, a lot of people were praising Seafoam, so that's why I tried it out. I'll look into it though for sure.

Would using a thinner oil really help whatever is going on here? I mean, it's confusing me to begin with. The way that I see it, the oil that is put in is going to be thinner than the oil once it's been used for 1,500 miles or so. So it seems as though the thicker oil is helping to subside the tick...
The reason why some people say to use a thinner oil in the colder months is because the viscosity of the oil will drastically slow down as the temperature drops...the colder it gets, the "thicker" the oil will seem, or at least it will have a greater resistence to flow...

As for the whole mileage issue, the oil itself doesn't really break down, it's the addatives in the oil that does...that's the main reason oil has to be replaced, not because the "oil" gets worn out, but because the addatives lose their intended attributes...

I have that little tick but it isnt any were near as bad as yours. Marvel made it go away for me, for awhile but comes back when it needs new oil.
That will happen...like anything else like it, it's just an addative...:bigthumb:

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone.
No problem...much to the dismay of a lot of people here...that's what these forums are really all about...:bigthumb:

Reactions: bd3g5

·
54,460 Posts
theres a procedure to pump the lifters back up, its more of a design issue than a problem with the engine itself, alot of cars suffer from this.

rev it upto about 2500-3000 rpm and hold it for about a minute, then again, and again, and again. after the 3rd or 4th time the tick will go away for a while. the only way to fix it for good is to (and i'm saying this having read it somewhere else) enlarge the holes which allow oil into the lifters. this will allow them to pump up faster and the tick will be much less.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
Have you tried Marvel Mystery Oil instead of the Seafoam though? I know the Seafoam stuff seems to be more popular in the Import world, but MMO was always the tried and true eliminator of lifter tap in the muscle car realm...
I use it in fuel every so many tanks, and I use it in my crankcase oil a 100 miles or so before I change it out. I've never had lifter tick.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
theres a procedure to pump the lifters back up, its more of a design issue than a problem with the engine itself, alot of cars suffer from this.

rev it upto about 2500-3000 rpm and hold it for about a minute, then again, and again, and again. after the 3rd or 4th time the tick will go away for a while. the only way to fix it for good is to (and i'm saying this having read it somewhere else) enlarge the holes which allow oil into the lifters. this will allow them to pump up faster and the tick will be much less.
Mitsubishi Tech - Minute Mod: The 5 Minute Lifter Noise Fix

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is even more great information. I am going to try this tomorrow for sure. If it works, this may explain why longer trips where most of the traveling is highway miles/speeds cause the lifter tick to subside.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I may be trying this over the weekend as well...I think I might have heard some lifter tick this afternoon as I was pulling out of the auto hobby shop...

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I found this thread using the search button. See Sam, some of us know how to use it. :sam:Thanks for the link.:wavey:

Sorry citm2000, I tried to erep for that link but:
you must spread reputation around before giving it to citm2000 again
. Fixed my problem. Thanks

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am bumping this thread to ask a puzzling question that has me currently baffled...

I just had a new clutch kit installed, as well as my transmission rebuilt. After I got the car back from the rebuild, I noticed that my lifter tick has gone away for the most part. On cold starts, it ticks a bit, but nothing extensive. Once the engine is warm, the tick will go away. Before I had all of this work done, the car would tick all of the time. How and/or why would a transmission rebuild and new clutch cause my lifter tick to subside?

G

·
I am bumping this thread to ask a puzzling question that has me currently baffled...

I just had a new clutch kit installed, as well as my transmission rebuilt. After I got the car back from the rebuild, I noticed that my lifter tick has gone away for the most part. On cold starts, it ticks a bit, but nothing extensive. Once the engine is warm, the tick will go away. Before I had all of this work done, the car would tick all of the time. How and/or why would a transmission rebuild and new clutch cause my lifter tick to subside?
they probably beat the hell out of your car and got some oil in there.:rofl:

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
they probably beat the hell out of your car and got some oil in there.:rofl:
:bat:

Well, if that's the case, I'm not going to complain because the car sounds amazing right now. Also, there's nothing like driving a car with a brand new clutch and tranny in it...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts