Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay my first post here. I'll start with I've searched and read and repeated over and over so please don't ask me to search I've read many threads here and haven't found the straight answer on this.

2003 Eclipse Spyder GTS. Intake Manifold Tuning Solenoid also called many other things that actuates the butterfly rail in the plenum. Can this be replaced and if so what is the part number. I have chased down many numbers that turned out to be oil control solenoids read threads about sign waves and am now thoroughly muddled. I have seen people say that they have replaced it with a new solenoid Mine snapped off so no further troubleshooting is necessary. Just need a Part number and can it be done or do I have to spend 1114.00 at the "Stealer" for a new plenum?

Much thanks Jojo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the answer I got from JustAnswer.com factory tech

Yeah it gets a new name every month it seems, thats why I wanted to get a visual confirmation.

For the record, we (at Mitsubishi) refer to the system as VIC. The VIC manifolds are NOT serviceable at all, however the solenoid is not part of the VIC manifold, it just bolts on the side.
On older vehicles (3000GT) the VIC (back then called AIS if I recall) was electrically controlled rather than vacuum controlled like on yours, and any failure required a complete new manifold.

Luckily yours is not that way. If you have a VIC solenoid failure (and P0660 will either be a solenoid failure or wiring damage... it is --impossible-- for the manifold/butterflys/etc to cause this code), you just need to replace the solenoid.

The VIC solenoid is part number MR160676, but be aware when you order this Mitsubishi will just call it "emission solenoid". That is because all solenoid valves are called "emission solenoid" in Mitsubishi databases This isbecause several of them are used for more than one application, and naming them all the same eliminates any confusion (like if you ordered a purge solenoid that was also used for EGR on another car, it would be pretty unsettling to see "egr solenoid" on your part when you knew that wasn't what it was for).

MR160676 lists for $46 and many dealers will keep this part in stock as it does fail with some frequency.

If you need more help with this just let me know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'll Post in the AM if the dreaded P0660 Is fixed. I know a lot of folks have spent a fortune only to find out the plenum for this year comes bare. Looks like a grand saved. :lmfao:

Moderator Please re title to - "2003 GTS P0660 Solenoid Part Number found" and move to the Problem forum. I got a little confused and ahead of myself with not reading the "Before you post" Apologies

·
Registered
3 Posts
JoJo ... did this end up fixing your P0660 issue ? I've been having the same code now for a while that I'm trying to get rid of.
Thanks !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I have the P0660 code plus P0124 (I think; it is the lean code). First, the part number above is NOT correct for an Eclipse 2003 Spyder GTS. Mine has two hoses coming off the bottom. Also, looking elsewhere, I tried the method of spraying carb cleaner to find leaks. When I sprayed the thing on the side of the manifold, the car almost died. I will post a pic. I think it is the part that does not come off the manifold. What is it called?

Should that leak, so when I spray it I get a change, or will that mean a new manifold? To be clear, I am talking about the part on the manifold itself, with the yellow plastic ring. I sprayed where the arrow is in my pic.

I can probably change the EGR Solenoid Valve, but I cannot afford a manifold on an 18 year old car. Please advise. Thanks in advance for your time!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts