Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter lost both sets of keys to her 03 Eclipse. The car is parked in the garage, so the doors are unlocked thankfully.

I was wondering if the Mitsubishi dealer would be able to cut a key for it with the VIN number? Seems I have heard that was an option with domestics, but nut really sure. Or will I have to find a locksmith that will come out and make a key. Or the only other option I can think of would be replacing the ignition cylinder, but that would leave her without a key for the doors.

Then after a key is replaced, what can we do about the key remote? Can they be replaced simply by buying a new one and somehow programing it to the car?

Thanks,
Ron

The car was bought by us as a low mileage 2nd owner, so I'm pretty sure the keys are original to the car.

·
Premium Member
6,548 Posts
I'm not positive that the keys are car specific but they have to be programmed to the car's ignition, without being programmed a cut key may start the car for a couple seconds before the immobilizer shuts it back off. I would call a couple dealers and locksmiths to see if the car is necessary to program the key and if it is required find a locksmith who can do that. Either way won't be cheap I'm sure due to your limited options. I'm on my phone right now so won't link the thread, but you can program the key fob yourself. I made a thread in the garage section>electronics (iirc) detailing how to do that. If you can't find it use the search bar on the top header.

·
Premium Member
6,548 Posts
Mine also came with one, we bought a chipped blank on eBay iirc and took the car to the dealer to program it after cutting elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Dealer can cut keys by vin. You need to go there with proof of ownership and they can get it for you. Only problem is that (not sure for mitsu) but sometimes they don't do them in house and they have to be shipped out as they outsource the cutting/programming.

·
Administrator
16,338 Posts
The cut key will have to be programmed. So it'll either need to be towed to the dealer, or a locksmith will have to go to the car and program them. Either way it won't be cheap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well GREAT news on this! Wife found one set of keys. Last evening we tore the entire house apart searching. I mean everywhere, we even opened up the hide a bed in the sofa that has not been used in years. Thinking it may have fallen and got into the mattress or frame. Anyway no joy. This morning my wife just had to split the sofa and pull the pieces all apart. Three piece set. Well I'll be damned if she didn't find one set of keys.

So at least the worst part is over. Now to decide the best (cheapest) way to get a couple more keys cut. I found a couple blanks on Ebay with the "N" code that matches. But they are not OEM. Not sure if they are worth a chance. I figure I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see their price. Hopefully less than 70.00 ea.

Still looking for key advice.

Thanks to all who chimed in so far.

Ron

·
Administrator
16,338 Posts
Usually how we work at dealers are easy. There is a one time programming charge regardless of how many keys there are. (let's say $50) Then you add on the cost of each key your want made by them. (let's say each key cost $25). So, if you want one key cut and programmed with the additional one you found in the sofa, it will cost you $75. But if you want an extra 3rd key (now's the time to do it), it'll cost you $100 total ($50 + $25 + $25).

In short, if the cost are minimal, buy an extra key and store it in a drawer somewhere.

Door fobs are usually the exact same deal. Cost of programming + each fob.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the warning Chad. I had not noticed that issue in my reading so far.
I also appreciate the advice on cost structure. So would it be best to get the keys and fobs programed at the same time? Or would that matter as far as cost is concerned?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 eclipse gs. The keys were stolen and I want to know if I can replace them with a remote start?

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
139 Posts
I read how to program these keys yourself, but I do not remember what I read. I bought the key blank a few months ago. I am pretty sure it can be done without paying a dealer. Just have to get the key blank cut and go back and read the directions on U-tube. ...J.D.

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
292 Posts
You can program a blank chip key yourself only if you already have TWO working keys.
My car only came with one key so I had to get a locksmith to program another. There are programmer devices you can buy, but you need a working key. Otherwise, you need to go to the dealer with proof of ownership to have keys made.
I believe that remote starters still need at least the key chip to work.
So either way, you need to contact a dealership.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
139 Posts
You can program a blank chip key yourself only if you already have TWO working keys.
My car only came with one key so I had to get a locksmith to program another. There are programmer devices you can buy, but you need a working key. Otherwise, you need to go to the dealer with proof of ownership to have keys made.
I believe that remote starters still need at least the key chip to work.
So either way, you need to contact a dealership.
I think you are correct. I have one key and would like a second one. I bought the key blank but got busy with other things. I haven't had time to pursue this any further. ...J.D.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts