Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Lots of new parts...still some problems

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Murkrow 
#1 ·
I searched here and got varying answers. Here goes....P0301 code, 4cyl, auto, GT. Threw in new plugs, wires and eventually coils. Still P0301. Got pissed and threw 1 (Bostech rebuilt) injector in #1 cyl, then CRC sprayed MAF, IAC and TB with correct fluids then tossed in a new air filter and PCV for kicks. Battery disconnect to reset ECU.

Now the results: Lost the code, but first 50 miles wont hold idle. The second 50 miles idles at 1000 and sometimes surging to 1500. Also started surging while coasting. Getting ready to add another 50 miles to see what that brings.

Questions: Will 1 replaced injector throw off fuel balance causing surges and idle issues?? IAC was dirty and now cleaned...did I cause an issue with it??

FYI: I already ordered 3 more injectors from Bostech and a stock, like new (used) IAC from Ebay 39.95. Plan to install all that stuff and reset the ECU again....then...PRESTO, FIXED...Maybe??? Many posts indicate vacum leaks...will check for that next time. Any thoughts??:dunno:

#8 ·
Because it's a fucking Karman Vortex MAF, are you retarded? Do you know how a KV MAF works? YOU CANNOT CLEAN A KV MAF. It's not a, oh this product won't hurt it but another will, it's a: YOU CANNOT CLEAN IT PERIOD. That is why your shit won't idle now. Go read up on how a KV MAF works and if you have half a brain you'll understand why you can't clean them. It's in the design of the MAF, it is sensitive to any form of contamination. Cleaners outright destroy them.

#11 ·
OK, my bad it was past midnight when I wrote the post....I have a GS, (not GT) 2.4 with an auto. OK, got that straight. Yes I did use CRC spray on the MAF. I did so after looking at several posts that appeared to be an accepted practice providing it's the MAF cleaner that did not say "do not use on Mitsu". Mine did not have any such warnings. So I guess the start of my problems is the MAF because of the cleaning.

Anyone have any opinions on the changing of 1 injector throwing the system off balance???

Any other thoughts on all the work done?? Thanks guys, my question opened up some discussion and disagreements.....for sure

#12 ·
Well that's what this place is for....picking up advice, info. I read my CRC MAF cleaner can twice....shoulda read it a 3rd time. Yes it does say Do not use on Karman Vortex which includes Mitsubishi.

OK, so now what??? I fried the MAF...can it still be used somehow...or new one???

#14 ·
You should have purchased all 4 injectors at the same time and made sure they were flow matched.

Also since you're talking about replacing the IAC, it may help to disconnect and loop the coolant lines from the IAC. From what I've read, the purpose of coolant flowing through the IAC is to heat the air during cold starts. The problem is that the coolant flow through the IAC never stops so you eventually have very hot coolant heating the whole throttle body and the IAC solenoid especially.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.