Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Refer to this video for the actual noise that I'm experiencing (not actually my car though)

Video of engine - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Car: '03 GTS, 101000 miles, Manuel

So here's the deal, I went out to do a couple test runs on my car because I had just finished installing my new Injen CAI. I pulled out of my neighborhood and gun it with no problem. I slowed down and pulled into a secluded area to do a burn-out; which I did with no problem at all. Upon returning to my house, a loud almost unbearable squeaking noise began coming from my car. At this point I couldn't determine a specific location of the noise. So I stopped the car and popped the hood to take a quick look. I noticed that the noise was coming from the belt's area of the engine bay. Oddly enough after about 20-30 second the noise went away. I hopped back in my car and slowly revved up the motor only to be greeted with some more squeak. I slowly made my way back to the house not wanting to chance anything.

Note: All belts were replaced at 95,000 miles so I know the belts can't be bad

Anyways......any suggestions?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No its not an SDS haha =(

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, when I first heard it I thought my car was about to blow up or something lol.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts

·
CostaGS88
369 Posts
try belt dressing on the belts and see if it goes away that way ull know its the belt...if not try spraying WD-40 or PB Blaster on the pulleys/moving parts one at at time...if it goes away youll figue out what it is. hopefully its not a loose pulley or something(which i doubt) but it never hurts to check and be sure.

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
You need to check the crank pulley. It is a two peice design with a rubber harmonic dampner sandwiched in the pulley. The rubber fell out of mine and the outer portion of the pulley moved over just enough to start touching the side of the power steering belt. I have read of other members having problems with the pulley coming apart, which can cause the engine to seize, skip teeth on the timing belt, and bend valves.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
try belt dressing on the belts and see if it goes away that way ull know its the belt...if not try spraying WD-40 or PB Blaster on the pulleys/moving parts one at at time...if it goes away youll figue out what it is. hopefully its not a loose pulley or something(which i doubt) but it never hurts to check and be sure.
Belt dressing is like using a band-aid and a tooth pick to splint a broken bone. Also, WD-40 is not a lubricant...it is a water dispersant! Besides, there shouldn't be any reason to "lubricate" the pulleys...if the bearings are going bad, spraying a lubricant isn't going to do much since centrifugal force is just going to remove the lubricant anyways...again, it's a band-aid fix...all you'll really accomplish is making your engine bay really dirty from flinging that crap all over the place...:ghey:

You need to check the crank pulley. It is a two peice design with a rubber harmonic dampner sandwiched in the pulley. The rubber fell out of mine and the outer portion of the pulley moved over just enough to start touching the side of the power steering belt. I have read of other members having problems with the pulley coming apart, which can cause the engine to seize, skip teeth on the timing belt, and bend valves.
When the rubber fell out of your crank pulley did it make the same noise? (just trying to clarify for everyone) :bigthumb:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
http://www.club3g.com/forum/problem-reports/104059-read-before-posting-any-problem-reports.html

Need a little more info (see link above), but it sounds like a bearing problem. If I understand you correctly, the noise comes and goes...did you have the A/C turned on when the noise was present? If so, does the noise occur when the A/C clutch is engauged or not?
Well last night was the first time it occurred, yes it came and then went. I'm about to walk out and see if the noise is still present and I'm going to check everything that was mentioned in this thread. No the A/C wasn't on at the time

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The pulley that the arrow points to is loose as anything. That I'm assuming is the problem.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The pulley that the arrow points to is loose as anything. That I'm assuming is the problem.
Loose as in it rocks back and forth, or ???

not a power steering squeal?
No...if it was a typical power steering squeal it would only occur when the steering wheel is turned to full lock to unseat the pressure relief valve.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes loose as in rocks back and forth. Its the drive belt tensionor if I'm thinking correctly

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
yes loose as in rocks back and forth. Its the drive belt tensionor if I'm thinking correctly
It looks like it from the picture, but it's a little hard to tell. See if you can just tighten the pulley bolt...if that doesn't work, you may have to bite the bullet and get a new tensioner...:ugh2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts