Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Loud pop

1461 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Sh4d0wX7
Well, after searching for about 30 minutes I gave up on it, because all results I read were other noises or other problems (struts, brakes, clutch, etc...). Anyways, on to my problem. My girlfriend is the first who noticed this...and as soon as she mentioned it, I immediately heard it.

Any time after I start the car and begin to move, when I either 1. Shift from park to reverse, 2. reverse to drive, 3. slow down, 4. speed back up from a slow speed, I get this ONE loud ass popping noise from under my car. It sounds like it's coming from the rear center or somewhere underneath the middle-center of my car, and is extremely annoying after going through about 2 red-lights. Once I get do a decent speed (like 25-up), nothing happens but as soon as I slow back down for a red-light or traffic or some random dumbass on the road, it pops again. And the cycle repeats when I speed back up. I highly doubt the tranny would be it, it's not coming from that direction. I don't know what could be the problem. I've never bottomed out the car for the 2 years I've driven it and the noise started about a month ago for no apparent reason. I changed my oil about 2 weeks ago, and put my fogs in about the same time, but I wouldn't expect those to be any kind of concern. Help please?

If I can, I'll try and get a video of some sort within a couple of days and see if the pop is audible on the video. That will probably help a lot.

If someone finds something on it through the search feature, tell me what you searched for, because more than likely you searched something different. Aggghh, I don't think it's anything drive-threatening or something serious, but I'd like to just make sure. I was thinking that maybe a chassis bolt or something under the car could be loose. I don't know. :mecry2:
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
A pop like a backfire or a pop like something hit something else? There's not a whole lot going on in the rear of an eclipse...
My guess? One of the exhaust heat shield pieces is hanging, and it swinging by the end on which it is still connected, occasionally banging up against something. A large hose clamp will solve that. Tuck the insulation back inside, thread the hose clamp over the whole assembly, reinsert the loose end back into the threaded tightener, and tighten.

If you're smart, you'll get a stainless steel one with a zinc screw for this job.
Could be that. I noticed a weird noise when I was going through a toll. It was part of a heat shield that had rusted off.
Definetly something loose....

Try the heatshield, as suggested.
I'll check out the heatshield, but driving today I swear when the pop occurred, I felt something under my heel in the floor. Ahhh...I'll try and get a vid on Thursday or Friday.
It does sound like a heat shield to me too. At first i thougt it was the same noise i have but mine sounds more like two screwdrivers clinking together somewhere around the trans. i still dont know what it is.
It does sound like a heat shield to me too. At first i thougt it was the same noise i have but mine sounds more like two screwdrivers clinking together somewhere around the trans. i still dont know what it is.
Going into reverse? Normal.
My noise isn't a high-pitched clinking sound nor a tapping one, just a low-pitched "pop."
i know this sounds stupid, But have you checked all you lug nuts? My car made the same noise when a couple of my lug nuts where lose.
Any time after I start the car and begin to move, when I either 1. Shift from park to reverse, 2. reverse to drive, 3. slow down, 4. speed back up from a slow speed, I get this ONE loud ass popping noise from under my car.
I had this same problem and it turned out to be balljoints and bushings. Everytime the vehicle weight transferred due to acceleration/deceleration, the play in bushings and balljoints would cause shifting in the suspension components that translated to a "POP" (and other less noticable creaks and groans).
My old car (1990 Grand Prix) had corrosion on the bolts that held the back part of the steering rack to the chassis. Eventually play developed as the bolts worked their way out causing the same noise and a clunk I could actually feel in the floorboards everytime I accelerated, especially in a corner. Eventually the whole damn thing fell out of the car and I almost wrecked. This car is assembled differently, however, and I can't see how it would have a similar failing in the steering. I'd check other things that could suffer the same symptoms, however, like the ball joints mentioned.
If I may offer my two cents, I have a popping noise on my eclipse as well that occurs during the same conditions as you. I have narrowed it to the transmission mount directly under the battery. If it's not that, sounds like it might be a strut.
I had this same problem and it turned out to be balljoints and bushings. Everytime the vehicle weight transferred due to acceleration/deceleration, the play in bushings and balljoints would cause shifting in the suspension components that translated to a "POP" (and other less noticable creaks and groans).
That sounds like an even better description than I could have come up with. Weight. :uh:

Well, to revive my thread, I have this question:

Would a new exhaust system fix the problem? I'm about to get a catback and seeing as all of that is about to be replaced with brand new stuff, would that fix the heatshield problem?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.