Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 00 GT and it was in "mint condition" mechannically besides a small squeakign noise with the breaks(needs new rotors), but to the point. After my 1-2 hour joy ride after i bought it i noticed a squeaking noise coming from the belt area. I thought it was the serpintine belt, but then i brought it to a freind of mine that worked on a few eclipses and he said it was my belt tensionor. He also said its not somthing that needs to be fixed ASAP I will post a video soon of my engine and show you where its coming from..I just want to know whats wrong with it because the noise gets VERY loud to the point where im sitting at stop lights waiting for it to turn green because people are lookign at my like my cars gonna blow up or somthing.:scratch:

btw now that its gotten colder the squeaking doesnt happen as fast as it did when it was warmer out. It takes about 50ish miles of highway driving before it starts getting. Compared to the 5min when it was warmer out.:confused:

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
It could be either the tensioner or the belt. Try hitting the brakes with the clutch in, also. If it squeaks then, it's the motor mount.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know right....anyone have any ideas? the only thing s i think it is as of now could be: Serpent belt, belt tensionor, mabey engine mounts as citm posted above.

BTW the squeaking doesnt go away when you pus the clutch in it just changes how loud it is

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sounds like one of the pulleys needs to be greased. Probably the tensioner, as that is the only pulley hub I know of that needs to be replaced (other than the water pump hub, which gets replaced with the water pump anyways).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The squeaking goes away if you put belt dressing on the belts but only for like 1 minute..so it must be a pulley if its not the belts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well if thats the problem how hard is that gonna be to fix?
Check the service manual posted on this site. Personally, I wouldn't do it unless i had a good 48 hours where I didn't need to use the car. The replacement can be done with a basic socket set, but there's not a lot of room, and a lot of bolts that need to be taken out. Might as well replace the belts and water pump while you're at it... you'd basically be doing the 60k treatment.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I have truck..so i might do it this weekend. I have 2 new belts i bought when i first heard that noise. So everything i should replace would be the tensioner, water pumpp ,and belts? anythign else in there that could be updtated because it has about 135k miles on it and when i bought this car it didnt come with no stickers for the last time it was checked for matenince or nothing..it was a wholesale so prolley alot needs to be done with it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well, while you're at it, might as well do the spark plugs, wires, thermostat, radiator flush, and gaskets. Pulling off the intake manifold will give you better access to/ view of the belts anyways. Remember to take pics of your engine totally torn apart, it impresses the ladies.

Edit: why not throw in an oil change too :p

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol well im storing my car for the winter so i might as well wait until then..and just deal with the noise as for now. unless you think its a serious problem and should be fixed asap. I only drive it to work and back...I have school still and i only have my occupational as of now(fucking 2 revecation tickets)..so unless its an urgent repair ill just wait. Plus since this is my first stick shift...i need to replace the clutch as well :) lol

hopfully i can get to know this engine pretty good by spring.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The only way I could see this doing damage is if something seizes. If a belt breaks, you're fucked on the side of the road where ever you happen to stop.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I know that but you only have to watch you engine temp..if it starts to rise then just stop and call for someone to pic you up. if it is the belts(happened to my cousin temp rose on the higway and bam belts snapped)

but my engine temp satys right in the middle and was in the middle at the time i took that videio so im not to worried to muich..plus i dont do much intense driving anyways(well for now that is)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well, this is all hypothetical. Odds are nothing bad will happen. If the temps get high enough to mess with the belts, you have some major problems. Belts usually fail because of centrifugal (centripetal?) force. The belt wants to keep going in a strait line on the curves, and pulls away from bend points, literally expanding outward away at the apex of the turn and snapping.... usually.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok cool and those are like 30-50$ range last time i can remember. Cool thanks guys. I'll post later when i get around to fixing it if i have any problems or any more problems occur

1 - 20 of 28 Posts