Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This started happening gradually and now happens just about everytime. If I'm at a stop and have the brake pedal pressed down while my heater is on (this morning did it while it was off though), my car will emit this extremely loud squealing noise until I let go of the brake or turn off the vents. Either of these two solutions fixes the problem, but it's really annoying that it does it at all. Any ideas? It was doing this a few weeks ago and then I had my accessory belts changed while it was in the shop, but it's still doing it.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
They may have been replaced, but they were not properly adjusted.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
There's always that chance your alternator or AC compressor is going bad (on the same belt on the V6), but you'd be seeing other symptoms as well. I think you've gone from bad belts to badly adjusted new ones.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
That would be my guess too. Proper tensioning first, and there is also a "belt dressing" that's some sort of graphite spray lube that is sold for it too. Can't say if it works, but it's sold for it, might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Video of engine - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Does it sound anything like that? Because thats the noise my car makes. I know that its one of my pulleys that is seizing that is causing the nosie. But it could be the other following things: Problems with your serpintine belts, belt tensioner, pulleys are going bad.

P.S. Don't use belt dressing it ruins your belts after time and belt dressing works for about 5 miles and the noise will come back. If you really hate the noise your just better off using water insted it works just as well as belt dressing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts