Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Low Compresion & SDS?

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  RIPPMODS 
#1 ·
Ive been curious about this. Why is it that most raise the C/R when going SDS stage 2 or 3. All my conventional turbo wisdom tells me that I should lower C/R to compansate for the extra boost, but its different with the SDS, why? CAN you run a stage 2 or 3 SDS with a lower C/R, say 8:8:1 or so?

#3 ·
I know that it has been discussed before, but the reason being, (if I remember correctly), is because with the supercharger the air is not being heated up near as much. That is why you can run a higher CR piston and get away with it. I have an 03 GTS. If I were to put a supercharger on it w/o lowering the compression it would be like running the Stage 2 pulley when I am only running the Stage 1 because the air coming in is cooler and can be compressed more.
Hope that makes sense, if not Im sure someone else will come along and explain it better.

#4 ·
I just did a search for compression SDS and came up with very little.

So that said, what would the ideal compression for an SDS system be. (considering that I would like an equal balance between a system that produces power and engine longevity).

#6 ·
Hmmmm. Well why not lower the C/R on the SDS and up the boost even more. Theoretically if your are running a Stage 3 SDS @ 18lbs @ 10:1, couldnt you run the same set up to 23-26 lbs at 8:8:1? Im not sure how that would affect the gains though. Would it just end up canceling each other out?

For example (theoretically):

400whp @ 18psi @ 10:1 C/R
=
400whp @ ~25psi @ 8:8:1 C/R

:dunno:

#7 ·
stylez said:
Hmmmm. Well why not lower the C/R on the SDS and up the boost even more. Theoretically if your are running a Stage 3 SDS @ 18lbs @ 10:1, couldnt you run the same set up to 23-26 lbs at 8:8:1? Im not sure how that would affect the gains though. Would it just end up canceling each other out?

For example (theoretically):

400whp @ 18psi @ 10:1 C/R
=
400whp @ ~25psi @ 8:8:1 C/R

That's the kind of thing I want to know. And as I mentioned before, for example, the two 400whp you posted...which would be more likely to shorten the life of the engine?

#8 ·
We have a modern 4 valve head with a hemi-sperical dome, it can handle the higher compression ratio with the boost without detonation. Also, the higher compression ratio pistons have quence areas on the edges of the pistion to force the air and gas towards the spark plug, making a more uniform burn of the mixture. The quence areas greatly reduce the chance of detonation. The lower compression or dished pistons do not come close enough to the head to push the air/fuel into the center of the chamber.

#9 ·
what is the C/R of the pistons on a stock '03 GT??

#11 ·
Low compression and high compression pistons with properly designed quench areas. You can see where the piston matches the shape of the flat area of the cylinder head. This pushes the air/fuel into the center of the combustion chamber, which makes for on nice smooth burning flame front.

Typical dished piston, with no quench areas. This creates inconsistant mixing of the air and fuel. The flame front could start to burn, then almost go out, and then find another pocket of air and fuel.

#13 ·
fasteclipse00 said:
We have a modern 4 valve head with a hemi-sperical dome, it can handle the higher compression ratio with the boost without detonation. Also, the higher compression ratio pistons have quence areas on the edges of the pistion to force the air and gas towards the spark plug, making a more uniform burn of the mixture. The quence areas greatly reduce the chance of detonation. The lower compression or dished pistons do not come close enough to the head to push the air/fuel into the center of the chamber.
Ok, so that being said, what would be the optimal compression ratio to boost the horsepower of an SDS engine, without causing undue stress which would shorten it's lifespan considerably?

#14 ·
slavetothemuzic said:
Ok, so that being said, what would be the optimal compression ratio to boost the horsepower of an SDS engine, without causing undue stress which would shorten it's lifespan considerably?
If you had 5 bags of microwave popcorn, what would be the best nuking time to pop the most kernels without burning the popcorn?

Which means, I really don't know. I think most people are running between 9:1 and 10.8:1.

#15 ·
slavetothemuzic said:
It comes down to how far you are willing to go on pump gas (93 octane or 91 octane for Californians). Without going into to much detail since I have explained this concept on the board a few times already. Tuning an engine to run under a given setup requires a balance of Octane, A/F Ratio, Timing/Spark, Compression and Mixture Temp.

Quick example, a SDS or Turbo if mixture temp charge, a/f ratio is proper, timing/spark is adaquate.were the same would go further on 8.8:1 on 93 pump gas than per say 11:1 pistons.

This is the definition of Octane:

This is a measure of a fuel's resistance to detonation (See Detonation). The higher the number, the better the fuel. Typical unleaded regular octane ratings range from 86 to 88. Premium grade unleaded fuels start around 89 and go as high as 93 or 94.
There are 4 cyl drag racing cars that are boosting 36 lbs of boost with 12.5:1 pistons but no way in the world with all the greatest tuning that you could run 93 octane pump gas on that.

Personally, I'm going to go with 8.8:1 pistons to be able to go as far as possible on 93 octane without the aid of methynol injection (substitute for race gas + intercooling). Now, even with the aid of methynol injection I will be able to surpass other vehicles in the amount of boost I will be able to run on 93 with higher compression pistons.

BTW: 8.8:1 has been determined by piston manufacturers as the lowest pistons can be designed to without loosing more strength versus the benefits you would get in our engine.

#16 ·
Tearstone said:
It comes down to how far you are willing to go on pump gas (93 octane or 91 octane for Californians). Without going into to much detail since I have explained this concept on the board a few times already. Tuning an engine to run under a given setup requires a balance of Octane, A/F Ratio, Timing/Spark, Compression and Mixture Temp.

Quick example, a SDS or Turbo if mixture temp charge, a/f ratio is proper, timing/spark is adaquate.were the same would go further on 8.8:1 on 93 pump gas than per say 11:1 pistons.

This is the definition of Octane:

There are 4 cyl drag racing cars that are boosting 36 lbs of boost with 12.5:1 pistons but no way in the world with all the greatest tuning that you could run 93 octane pump gas on that.

Personally, I'm going to go with 8.8:1 pistons to be able to go as far as possible on 93 octane without the aid of methynol injection (substitute for race gas + intercooling). Now, even with the aid of methynol injection I will be able to surpass other vehicles in the amount of boost I will be able to run on 93 with higher compression pistons.

BTW: 8.8:1 has been determined by piston manufacturers as the lowest pistons can be designed to without loosing more strength versus the benefits you would get in our engine.
That really helps. It sounds like 9:1 is a pretty good number for a street engine on pump gas.

#21 ·
With 10:0.1 pistons and 11 psi of boost coming from the Vortech blower is the equivalent to 18psi of boost on a 8:5.1 compression Turbo engine (in terms of horsepower output). The supercharger builds boost progressively and by increasing the compression and keeping the psi the same, you will make more power than lowering the compression and running more boost. A turbo needs the extra space when the boost kicks in because it comes in abruptly holds peak psi until it needs to spool again. With the supercharger the power is completely linear and builds gradually with RPM so you need a higher compression piston to have optimal combustion. With our SDS Tiburon (stock compression = 10:0.1) we increased the horsepower from stock (about 150whp) to 312whp. This was done on stock internals on a DOHC 2.7L platform. The biggest battle with the Eclipses is that the stock ECU is very intelligent and needs to be manipulated properly.

#22 ·
but, and sorry if this is stupid, wouldnt lowering the CR to raise boost introduce more lag into the supercharger system? i mean it would have to spin up higher to reach boost right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.