Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally was able to get my KYB-AGX adjustable Struts and Tein S-Tech lowering springs installed .. The job was much easier than I thought. I was very surprised how easy it was . My friend Jeff and I did this job in under three hours. The only thing that bothered me was I found some surface rust on my undercarriage... I was able to clean that up and gave it a spray down with Rust Check....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Looks good!!!
I'm gonna look into doing custom fender flares instead to try to close up that fender well...never understood why Mitsu gave the front fender an oval line instead of round?
You're going to replace that other axle now, right, since you've lowered it? I seem to remember you saying you only recently did one side...

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe it is 2 Inch in the front and 1 1/5 in the back .. All I know is I got rid of that 4x4 look and this guy is one happy camper...

·
Registered
207 Posts
I believe it is 2 Inch in the front and 1 1/5 in the back .. All I know is I got rid of that 4x4 look and this guy is one happy camper...
hey, do u have a part number for the tein lowering springs?
Also, I assume you're still running 215/50/17 tires, right?
Yes, I'm kicking myself for buying the Monroe struts, and just found a full set of Kyb agx on ebay for $402 and now I want to cost out the Tein springs to figure out my total.
Do you like your suspension setup now compared with stock? Are you stiffer at setting#2 on all four struts, compared to stock?
I'm not sure I want stiffer, but definitely lower!!!

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do not have a part number but here is the link ..
Yes I am still with the stock tires 215/50R/17
I have my KYB`s set at 2 and the ride seams very firm.. Kind of feels the same as before but my ride looks so much better lowered...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Widgmaster, I've got a question about the install process for your lowering springs. I recently swapped out my OEMs for KYB AGXs and Eibach lowering springs, and new mounting kits all around.

The problem I'm having is a clunking when there's a lot of deflection, like going over speed bumps. I think I lined everything up properly (like spring ends to the seats). And I put weight on the wheel before I torqued everything down.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am getting the same clunk noise as you are.. I believe the problem lies in the bump stop... I am not certain about this but I was going to try to remove a bit more from the bump stop to see if it cures the problem.. Yet at the same time I am afraid to do so because my front end height is less than a pop can ...about 4' ... Here lies my problem....I received a phone call telling me I have been in contact with someone who tested positive with the corona virus so I am forced to remain in my home for two weeks .... After this ( if I make it out alive ) i will tell you how I make out with the Bump stop ..

·
Registered
207 Posts
Widgmaster, I've got a question about the install process for your lowering springs. I recently swapped out my OEMs for KYB AGXs and Eibach lowering springs, and new mounting kits all around.

The problem I'm having is a clunking when there's a lot of deflection, like going over speed bumps. I think I lined everything up properly (like spring ends to the seats). And I put weight on the wheel before I torqued everything down.

Any ideas?
Just a thought, but if the clunking sound is due to the struts bottoming out inside the cylinder, try adjusting the dial stiffer perhaps? Experiment with the settings, which you would want to do anyway for comparison sake.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I am getting the same clunk noise as you are.. I believe the problem lies in the bump stop... I am not certain about this but I was going to try to remove a bit more from the bump stop to see if it cures the problem.. Yet at the same time I am afraid to do so because my front end height is less than a pop can ...about 4' ... Here lies my problem....I received a phone call telling me I have been in contact with someone who tested positive with the corona virus so I am forced to remain in my home for two weeks .... After this ( if I make it out alive ) i will tell you how I make out with the Bump stop ..
Be a rebel and at least spend more time outside rather than indoors, but away from others of course. Also, increase your vitamin D intake and a zinc supplement.
Last month I developed some symptoms, went to a clinic and tested positive with the quickie 15min test. Went straight to the store to buy vit D and zinc. Three days later I went to my doc to get tested again, this time using the three day lab test instead, and it came back negative.
Back during the 1918 flu pandemic, hospitals tried putting patients outside to increase their vitamin D levels and had good results. Sunlight and fresh air helps, so defy the authorities and don't isolate indoors!!!

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for both your tips @Sisyphus58 .. I`ll try to adjust the struts ...and I`m off to the drug mart tomorrow... We have rain showers all week on the radar so I doubt I`ll get much sun ..

·
Registered
435 Posts
If you wanna test if you are bottoming out. you can tie a zip tie to the strut rod a few inches just below the bump stop if you hit a bump and it goes all the way to the bump stop than it bottoms out. Old trick from the grassroots motor sports guys.
But a lot of the clunking comes from loose parts make sure your strut plates are tight very common issue when people build strut assembly’s

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well @Sisyphus58 you were right. I set the AGX-KYB to a stiffer setting and that cured the clunk noise ... Thanks (y)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts