Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'02 GS, 2.4L
Replaced battery- now stalls at idle, with P0102 code.
Sure seems like a strange "coincidence", but that's my luck. Any way the battery change could have affected the MAF?

OBD Reading is .3 lb/min at idle, .4 @ 700 rpm, and .5 lb./min @1,000 rpm, .7 @ 1,500 rpm
Converting I'm getting 2.2 g/s at idle, and 3.78 g/s @ 1,000 r.p.m., 5.29 @ 1,500

I've looked and can't find the specs for this- are these readings within spec?
Foot lightly on the accelerator runs fine, seems to run fine at all speeds, but as soon as my foot is removed from the accelerator it stalls.

·
Low and Slow.
1,734 Posts
I'll try to remember to get readings in the morning when I head to work. When I accidently left my MAF unhooked when working on my car what you described I experienced. I've also read that the car will have to relearn idle after the battery has been removed, but in the history of owning my car and most recently the multiple times I have had to unhook my battery for various reasons I didn't experience any rough idle. I think it's more of a V6 issue.

Edit- 3.1 g/s at idle, car mostly warmed up at 170*f coolant temp. Not sure if that matters.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Double check the MAF is plugged in. If it is then the code is probably from trying to start the car without the MAF initially plugged in. But the problem with it shutting off is from the idle air control. When you disconnect the battery the IAC stored values in the ECU get cleared out and they need to be relearned. Start by starting the car (without holding the gas) a few times and it will adjust enough to keep itself running. And then after a few miles of driving it will learn where to keep the IAC while idling, cruising, and decelerating. The ECU also will relearn fuel trims and if you have an auto it will relearn shift points, firmness, converter lockup, etc.

·
New To Site
91 Posts
When the world get`s around to cloning humans I`m going to get me a Murkrow so I have a walking /talking Mitsubishi Encyclopedia . As long as I have been on this site he seems to be the one that answers most questions with the correct information ...My hat is off to you sir.......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Double check the MAF is plugged in. If it is then the code is probably from trying to start the car without the MAF initially plugged in. But the problem with it shutting off is from the idle air control. When you disconnect the battery the IAC stored values in the ECU get cleared out and they need to be relearned. Start by starting the car (without holding the gas) a few times and it will adjust enough to keep itself running. And then after a few miles of driving it will learn where to keep the IAC while idling, cruising, and decelerating. The ECU also will relearn fuel trims and if you have an auto it will relearn shift points, firmness, converter lockup, etc.
Yep, or so I thought. I replaced the IAC last year- you reminded me about the ECU "learning"
Your suggestion worked- but only while the engine was cold. After a couple of tries it held idle, hunted around for a while then settled down. Started driving around the block, as soon as the engine got warm would not hold idle when stopped.
In gear, neutral, didn't matter. With or without AC running (FL).
When it was cold, I turned on the AC and it kicked up and held RPM's.

As soon as the engine warmed up, idle would drop and stall.

Given everything was fine until the battery was swapped out, sure would seem that's the culprit.
But how to get it back on track?

·
Registered
593 Posts
The throttle body has an idle speed adjustment screw you can turn counterclockwise to open and allow more air to bypass the throttle plate. Make sure to use a wide blade flat head screwdriver. The screw is made of plastic and strips easily so take your time breaking it free. Open it just far enough to keep the car running when hot. It will be able to relearn and adjust itself after that. I drew a red arrow pointing to where it is on the throttle body.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I normally train my car by removing the A/C relay and turn on the A/C and let he car idle for while after the car has warmed up

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a similar issue with my 3g Eclipse.... 2.4L
Manual Transmission.... Have you tried changing Camshaft OverHead Position Sensor? Give that a shot and you should be good

1 - 9 of 9 Posts