Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am planning on having a friend change my timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, wires, and valve cover gasket for me. So far I have/know I need the following: water pump, timing belt and tensioner bearing, new spark plug tube seals (are these necessary to change when changing the spark plugs?), valve cover gasket, intake plenum gasket.

Now I think I have left some things out, but I'm not sure. I have never done this before. Is there anything else I should do/need?

Thanks.

·
Medic
2,354 Posts
I said this in a thread started about 20 minutes ago asking this same question. Search this has been discussed plenty of times.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The other thread you replied to was someone asking about the price of a 60,000 mile tune up. I'm simply asking if I left anything out. I did search and looked at the how-to's in the garage section. I am just trying to be absolutely sure that I have everything before opening the car up.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
...new spark plug tube seals (are these necessary to change when changing the spark plugs?), valve cover gasket, intake plenum gasket.
Unless your valve cover is leaking oil then I see no reason to remove the valve cover. If you are removing the valve cover then a new gasket would be wise. The spark plug tube seals will be accessible when the valve cover is removed and they are somewhat prone to leak as they get older so I would replace them (only costs $6-7 for all 6 tube seals). The intake plenum (upper manifold) gasket should be changed and if you remove the throttle body from the manifold then you should install a new throttle body gasket as well. You may or may not have to unbolt the TB in order to remove your manifold. Just depends on how creative you get and how small your hands are. All the gaskets and seals are VERY cheap, even at the dealer (plus they usually have them in stock if they have a garage).

·
Fossilized Member
1,206 Posts
Don't forget the little metal gasket for the EGR tube. You probably don't have to replace it, but its cheap, so why not.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless your valve cover is leaking oil then I see no reason to remove the valve cover. If you are removing the valve cover then a new gasket would be wise. The spark plug tube seals will be accessible when the valve cover is removed and they are somewhat prone to leak as they get older so I would replace them (only costs $6-7 for all 6 tube seals). The intake plenum (upper manifold) gasket should be changed and if you remove the throttle body from the manifold then you should install a new throttle body gasket as well. You may or may not have to unbolt the TB in order to remove your manifold. Just depends on how creative you get and how small your hands are. All the gaskets and seals are VERY cheap, even at the dealer (plus they usually have them in stock if they have a garage).
Ok, kool...yeah my valve cover is leaking oil. It has been for almost two years now.

Thanks for all the help everyone :)

·
The Original
634 Posts
Don't forget the little metal gasket for the EGR tube. You probably don't have to replace it, but its cheap, so why not.
anyone have an official name, mitsu part number, felpro part number for this? Advanced Auto can't seem to figure out what I'm talking about. dealer-only?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts