Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
****If you have 4 wiring harnesses that you could send me, or 2 wiring harnesses and 2 dual filament bulb housings, i could do it for you, and make a nice video how-to!****

I wasn't expecting to make a how-to for this so unfortunately i can't provide pictures. i will try my best to describe the steps as clearly and concisely as possible. This will not work well on the stock 03-05 taillights, because you will have a constant yellow and red glow. As long as you don't have any yellow on your taillights you will be fine. I also will not be responsible for any shortages or damage occurring to your vehicle while attempting this project! :) Lastly, please do not ask dumb question like "how do i solder a wire?' or "what is splicing?" There are appropriate forums that explain this.

What you will need:
2 dual-filament bulbs. The same ones as in the big circle socket
2 other taillight wiring harnesses-
or a dual-filament bulb metal housing (same as the one in the socket of the big circle)
Soldering Gun & Soldering wire
Electrical Tape
10mm socket ratchet or anything else 10mm that works best for you to remove taillights

First, you must take out you taillights. There are 4 10mm nuts in the back. It is physically possible to take them out by removing the rectangular piece of plastic behind the taillights, but it is very uncomfortable. I would recommend removing the trunk panels, or at least having them loose, so it will be possible to flex the panels a bit to be able to reach the nuts in the corner of the taillights.
When you have removed all the nuts, unplug the wiring harness and pull out the taillight.
Twist out the bulb sockets, and pull of the connector from the tailights. Unhook both of the harness completely from the tailght.

Now the cutting, splicing, and soldering part!

Follow these instruction if you have two extra tailight wiring harnesses.

1) Cut the solid green wire of the light gray corner socket ONLY, DON'T cut the black wire! Cut wire about 3-4 inches from the socket. This is the socket that has two wires coming from it, the black one, and the solid green. It is the lighter colored socket- it's light gray. DO NOT CUT OFF THE DARK GRAY SOCKET, THE ONE WITH 3 WIRES COMING FROM IT AND DON'T CUT THE BLACK WIRE!

Cut the green wire of this connector only!!! Don't cut the black wire that i did.

Do this for both sides. Strip the two wires that were cut on the harness and set the harness aside.

2) You will need to cut off the the dark connectors. They have 3 wires coming from them, a green/white, green/blue, and black. Cut them where the wires from both of the connectors are taped up. You don't need to cut the ground, because the metal housing will come out when the 2 wires going from it are cut.

3) Now you twist the bulbs out of the sockets and set them aside.

4) Pry out the metal housings from both sets of connectors. You can use a small flat screwdriver, or pliers to pull the metal housing from both of the plastic sockets.

5) Now take the dual filament metal housing and press it into the light gray socket. When pressing the metal housings in, make sure the ground wires are pressed against the a part of the metal that has no holes. The ground wires needs to be completely covered by the metal sockets.

Soldering the wires together:
1) Strip all the cut wires exposing about an inch of wire.
2) Solder the green/blue wire of the light gray corner socket to the solid green wire of the taillight harness.
3) Install a dual filament bulb and turn on the hazard lights and make sure the light gray connector is flashing with the bright filament. If its is, solder it together. If it's flashing with the dim filament, you have connected the wires backwards.

Splicing:
1) Splice the green/white wire of the light gray socket to the green/white wire of the dark gray socket.
2) Twist the connectors into taillight.
3) Turn on the headlights to make sure both bulbs glow with the dim filaments.
4) Turn on the hazard lights and check to see that the corner light is flashing bright/dim bright/dim.
5) Finally have someone step on the brakes and check to see that the big circle lights up bright and 3rd brake-light is on.

Repeat steps for the other harness. As you solder, try to keep the wires to be as close as possible to the original length of the harness. TEST ALL THE SYSTEMS TO MAKE SURE THEY WORK FIRST THEN SOLDER!

Electrical tape up all soldered and spliced wires and attach the wiring harnesses to the taillights.
Install taillights, connect, and install all trunk panels back if necessary.
Congrats, you are done! :)

Follow these instruction if you DON'T have 2 extra stock wiring harnesses and have 2 dual filament metal housings instead.

1) Cut the solid green wire of the light gray corner socket ONLY, DON'T cut the black wire! Cut wire about 3-4 inches from the socket. This is the socket that has two wires coming from it, the black one, and the solid green. It is the lighter colored socket- the lighter gray colored one. DO NOT CUT OFF THE DARK GRAY SOCKET, THE ONE WITH 3 WIRES COMING FROM IT, AND DON'T CUT THE BLACK WIRES!!

Cut the solid green wire only!!! Don't cut the black wire that i did.

2) Now take out the bulbs, set aside, and pry the metal bulb housing out.

*The dual filament socket must have at least 4 inches of wire coming from it!*

3) Press the dual filament metal housing into the light gray socket, and make sure the ground wire of the plastic socket is not against a part of the metal housing that has a hole. The ground wire must be completely covered by metal.
4) Install dual filament bulb to socket.

Soldering and splicing the wires
Before you solder, you must test and label the bright and dim filament wires.

1) Strip the three wires about an inch, and twist the copper strands of each wire together.
2) Now, you will have to insert the wires into the pigtail of the taillight harness.

3) Turn on your hazard lights, and insert the black wire to the ground, and any other wire into the turn signal wire on the top left.
4) If the bulb glows bright, label the wire connected to the turn signal wire "bright" by using masking tape taped over the wire.
5) If bulb glows dim, label it "dim" the same way.
6) Strip all cut wires exposing about an inch of copper.
7) Now connect the "bright" labeled wire to the solid green colored wire. Turn on the hazard lights and make sure the bulb of the light gray socket flashes bright.
8) Now take the "dim" labeled wire and splice it into the green/white wire of the dark gray connector.
9) Turn on you headlights and make sure the bulb of the dark gray connector glows dim.
10)Electrical tape all the soldered wires.

*Repeat instructions for the other wiring harness.*
Testing:
1) Twist the sockets with bulbs into the taillight, and reinstall the taillight.
2) Turn on you hazards and headlights.

*The big circle should stay dim, and the corner circle should be flashing.*
3) Turn off the hazards and keep headlights on.
4) Make someone step on the brakes and make sure that the large circle is bright, the corner one is dim, and the 3rd brake-light comes on as well. 5) Re-install and trunk panels as necessary.

Congrats, you are done! :)

TEST ALL THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS BEFORE SOLDERING ANY WIRES!

BASIC THEORY: the metal bulb housing of the light gray socket needs to be replaced to a dual filament, and the bright wire must be soldered to the the solid green wire, and the dim filament wire of the socket need to be spliced into the green/white wire.

Result:

·
Registered
665 Posts
so now people dont know if you are braking or not?
Nah. It just makes both lights turn on like running lights. Then when you brake, the big ones light up brighter and when you use the turn signal, that one is brighter. I know, I've been running mine this way for years.:yesway:

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah. It just makes both lights turn on like running lights. Then when you brake, the big ones light up brighter and when you use the turn signal, that one is brighter. I know, I've been running mine this way for years.:yesway:
The lights get brighter when you brake... hence the "dim" and "bright" wire testing... read the post next time ;)
"Bingo" guys!

No brakes

Brakes on. Much much brighter and third brake light

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.