Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
54,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to throw together a low cost computer for my GF since her northwood dell is not only full (out of HDD space) but unable to do the things she wants it to do now, itunes runs slowly, the couple pc games she plays on it run slow as hell. shes been using her fathers computer for gaming.

the jist of this is to keep it under $300. i have 3 cases and 2 psu's available, she has the floppy and cdrom drive. a dvd burner or cd burner can be a birthday gift in spring, so thats why case, psu, and opticals are not on the list.

heres what I have, im at about $250 and would like to keep it under $300, $250 fits my budget right now better than closer to $300.

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR I945PCOMBVGA1 T (LGA 775) Intel 945P ATX Motherboard/VGA Combo - Retail
+
Newegg.com - Intel Celeron 420 Conroe-L 1.6GHz 512KB L2 Cache LGA 775 Single-Core Processor - Retail
+
Newegg.com - Patriot Signature 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
+
Newegg.com - Recertified: Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

can i reuse the 2 dell key's on the cases for the fresh xp install?

the case i WILL use is not a dell case, its an old ATX tower with plenty of internal room and lots of sheet metal i can put fans into, cooling wont be a problem.

if there are any better components that cost about the same let me know, i'll revise the list. not worried about getting this all BY xmas so theres not a huge deadline.

·
Symetrical AWD
11,216 Posts
Doesn't sound like much of an upgrade from what she's already got and you can get a pre-built with a dual-core, 1gb ram, 250gb hd and Vista Home Basic for $299.

·
54,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, but she doesnt want vista and i may not be buying till after xmas...missing those deals. i'll probably be splitting this between an xmas gift and birthday gift.

·
Symetrical AWD
11,216 Posts
Do whatever you want, but I think that's still a better PC with or without Vista. Single-core Celeron, and refurb HD doesn't sound all that appealing to me.

·
is on a fitness kick
11,748 Posts
Pc you just got won't work Jordan? Sup?

·
54,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pc you just got won't work Jordan? Sup?
nothing wrong with it as far as i know, just spare parts for now. no where to upgrade it too, the oboard graphics are death to whatever it she tries to play. i think its just like worms and lemmings. something about her onboard video, those games, and her drivers dont jive.

·
54,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
greg, what are the chances one of her old dell 200W psu's will run all that? im thinking slim to none so what would you suggest? more like, what should be avoided as a known shit-brand?

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
greg, what are the chances one of her old dell 200W psu's will run all that? im thinking slim to none so what would you suggest? more like, what should be avoided as a known shit-brand?
Yeah, that 200 watt unit would not cut it. FSP, Sparkle and Thermaltake would be fine for low budget power supplies.

·
54,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, that 200 watt unit would not cut it. FSP, Sparkle and Thermaltake would be fine for low budget power supplies.
thanks bud, i owe you dinner sometime :) come to BTN and i'll buy it for you:bigthumb:

·
Registered
13,210 Posts

·
54,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
i was just going by specs, i wasnt sure how much power she'd need so i went with a cheap 500W. i'm sooooo out of the pc hardware loop its almost not funny. i'm a noob again!
That machine should not consume more than 230 watts under load, so reliability should be a bigger priority. :)

·
54,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That machine should not consume more than 230 watts under load, so reliability should be a bigger priority. :)
whatever happened to back when a PSU was just a big block with dangerous voltages? now its 2 rail, mono rail, amps this, watts that :mecry: im going to go play with my AT psu, i like the big switch.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts