Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know it calls for sae75-90w GL-4 OR GL-3, but at the autozone near me with there goo brand name fluids they only have GL-5 is this ok to use? they also have a generic brand its called coastal its GL-5, GL-4 AND GL-3

·
Registered
135 Posts
GL5 is not OK. Our trannies have brass synchros in them, GL5 will screw them up. If you can't find anything else, run Pennzoil Synchromesh, Autozone should carry it. I'm using it right now and it works great in the winter.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What works well is GM synchromesh found at any Gm dealer.
Exact same thing as the Pennzoil. Read the label if you run across it sometime, it's specifically made for GM vehicles with brass or soft-metal synchros and lists a bunch of GM specs it meets. Only difference is you don't get raped on the price.

·
***Suspended Seller***
1,790 Posts
Ya i have ran the penziol synchromesh on my car a few times. Works okay. But not im using Redline and I like that a lot better!

·
Cackle!
2,708 Posts
but that is gl-5
It was recommended to me by Pharmecis, did it about 15k ago.

I was planning on changing to BG Syncromesh from RRE in a few weeks anyway. I am surprised nobody mentioned this stuff yet, seems alot of people have used it over on 2g Stratus with great results.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
I was planning on changing to BG Syncromesh from RRE in a few weeks anyway.
I use the BG Syncromesh and has been very pleased. Shift transitions seemed smooter after I changed it (from whatever the dealer had used). However, this will be my 1st winter using it so I'm not sure how the cold will affect it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've heard BG Synchroshift is great stuff, but it's nigh impossible to find it locally. You have to order it from RRE or some other outlet.

·
Registered
742 Posts
anyone using Royal Purple MAX-GEAR 75w90? It says GL4 and GL5...I'm looking to change my tranny fluid out soon (since I've been using Mobil 1 and I can feel it not working as well) to something that works.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
I've had bg syncroshift in my GS for about a year now and I have not regretted it yet. My shifter does tend to get a little stiffer in cold weather, but for summer time it's great.

·
Sehnsucht
8,396 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts