Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Manual transsmission, seems stuck in reverse. Need help

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Coilover 
#1 ·
Well goodmorning yall. Hope you all can help. Baught a 2000 eclipse gt with a snaped passenger side transaxle. Replaced both transaxle and speed sensor in tranny because it was broken. Now up to this point in time I have moved the car under it's own power. The previous owner stated she had the clutch replaced a months prior to snapping the transaxle.
Well here I am trying to figure out why the car, lifted on jack stand with new transaxle on both driver and passenger side, is spinning in reverse only while in neutral. Furthermore, I can seem to be able to shift the car into reverse.
I'm starting to think I have a bad transmission all together. Just need any insight into what else to look at before I pull the tranny...
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Check your shift cable bushings on the tranny and the shifter for play. Something maybe wrong with the clutch as well. If the engine is running and it won't drop into gear then the clutch is dragging and spinning the input shaft. Check to see if you can get it in gear with the engine off. I once replaced my clutch with an aftermarket one and had all kinds of issues. Wouldn't go into gear with the engine running. Another time I had a pressure plate spring break and jam in the pressure plate and wouldn't allow the clutch to release.

#4 ·
And sometimes that's normal.. Start the engine, try to put it in reverse and shut the key off while applying pressure. Sometimes this will work. If it goes in, you have a clutch engagement issue. You may also try to manually engage the gears from the transmission, just to make sure you don't have a cable binding or something of that nature.

#6 ·
The wheels will spin when they are up in the air and the car isn't in gear. The drag of the lubricants past the disengaged wheels will transfer a bit of torque. Same thing happened with all of my cars and motorcycles. I'd only worry if it was happening when the car is on the ground.

How exactly did the transaxle "snap"? Did she hit it on something in an accident? These transmissions are pretty strong under stock engine power. Do you mean just the passenger side axle or the entire transaxle?

Also, I agree with the above. I think you have a clutch engagement issue. Since it was changed "right before" the transaxle was broken, it sounds like they installed it wrong, then broke the transmission trying to get it in gear assuming it was the entire transaxle that broke and not just the axle. Often people install the friction plate backwards to where it won't disengage correctly. Either that or the clutch needs to be bled.

#8 ·
Ah ok. Well I'd check the hydraulic clutch system for air and proper fluid level and check the transmission for a proper level of lubricant. Then check shifter linkage for binding. If that all looks good, I'd check the clutch, throwout bearing, and shift fork for wear, damage, or installation errors.

#12 ·
Well goodmorning yall. Hope you all can help. Baught a 2000 eclipse gt with a snaped passenger side transaxle. Replaced both transaxle and speed sensor in tranny because it was broken. Now up to this point in time I have moved the car under it's own power. The previous owner stated she had the clutch replaced a months prior to snapping the transaxle.
Well here I am trying to figure out why the car, lifted on jack stand with new transaxle on both driver and passenger side, is spinning in reverse only while in neutral. Furthermore, I can seem to be able to shift the car into reverse.
I'm starting to think I have a bad transmission all together. Just need any insight into what else to look at before I pull the tranny...
Thanks in advance.
if it is a M/T i am 99.9% sure your throw out bearing is bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.