Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is running on a rough idle. Surges and tried to die as soon as I come to a stop. I unplug the MAF and the idle jumps above 1000. Runs better than before. I've lost throttle response which leads me to believe its a vacuum leak. With the MAF unplugged my throttle response is good. It's also throwing the code p0300. Heavy loss of power. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
709 Posts
If you find out that the MAF is defective I have one you can buy cheap.
is it new? I personally would avoid a used one due to the nature of the part with its very sensitive and fragile sensor element (reason many mechanics don't recommend cleaning them, even with MAF cleaner, which is a temporary fix at best until you can find a new one)

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
On second thought...if you unplug the MAF and there is a change in RPM then I would assume it is reading correct. I bought this Delphi MAF last year from Rockauto for $223 plus tax/shipping and handling...
I agree with you @Sisyphus58 ...the OP should get one locally if needed to avoid any damage from shipping.

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
709 Posts
On second thought...if you unplug the MAF and there is a change in RPM then I would assume it is reading correct. I bought this Delphi MAF last year from Rockauto for $223 plus tax/shipping and handling...
I agree with you @Sisyphus58 ...the OP should get one locally if needed to avoid any damage from shipping.
that's not really what I was saying...I was saying I wouldn't buy a used one, especially if troubleshooting, because who knows how dirty/worn a used one would be?
But your response does beg the question: Why aren't you using the new Delphi MAF?

I would, however, buy one that is only slightly used and from someone I knew, but how often is that opportunity going to arise?
Plus I don't think its very likely to get damaged during shipping unless it literally got crushed somehow, so I don't think the OP should worry about that, but rather the shipping cost between US and Canada.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
I did not use the MAF I got from Rockauto because the one on the car tested okay and works just fine. I’m a firm believer in if it ain't broken, don't fix it. I did run it on the car for about a month, less than one hundred miles ...so I guess I would have to say it is used ... I am positive it is a good MAF.....

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
709 Posts
I did not use the MAF I got from Rockauto because the one on the car tested okay and works just fine. I’m a firm believer in if it ain't broken, don't fix it. I did run it on the car for about a month, less than one hundred miles ...so I guess I would have to say it is used ... I am positive it is a good MAF.....
I guess I just don't understand Canadian logic...
LOL

But while I got you not thinking straight, sell me your "customer tested" Delphi MAF for $10.............

Bwahahahahaha...cough...cough...hahahahaha!!!

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
566 Posts
With it throwing a PO300 code I would think you are more likely dealing with an ignition problem. I have a complete digital file on all the codes and what they do. All the PO3[***] codes are ignition related ...J.D.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
566 Posts
Ignition is a good place to start, but actually P030x can also be set by poor compression; or too rich / too lean AFR from things like a faulty fuel injector or fuel injector signal or a vacuum leak on the affected cylinder.
Yeh, I know but with a plain 300 code I always make sure the ignition is top notch before I move on to deeper things. The other 89 300 codes are very specific to certain ignition issues. That is why I suggested the AMP sensor. I have trouble shot that little bugger before. ...J.D.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Iffn there isnt one already, perhaps you could post a sticky with that file???
I have that in an old obsolete tablet I keep in one of my tool cabinets. It is a PDF file that is 11 pages long. Not all cars use every code, but it is a great look up file. I'll have to find a way to get it out of that old tablet. ...J.D.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ignition is a good place to start, but actually P030x can also be set by poor compression; or too rich / too lean AFR from things like a faulty fuel injector or fuel injector signal or a vacuum leak on the affected cylinder.
I've replace all ignition components within the last 8,000 miles. I cleared the codes I got before only to pop up with a bank 1 lean code. Only thing I haven't replaces are the injectors. I'll get a reading off the injector to see if it's reading the correct voltage when running. If I wanted to go with larger injectors how would I go about doing that?

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT
473 Posts
I've thrown a few codes in the last couple weeks. P0171, P0300, P0303. Bank 1 lean, multiple random misfires, misfire cylinder 3. I have also thrown every catalytic converter code in the ecu.
Ok, that's important information. The key starting point is P0303, because that points directly at cylinder #3. You may have other problems too, but P0303 is absolutely the place to start. Are you still getting the P0303 code, or did that go away (and stay away) when you replaced plugs and wires?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, that's important information. The key starting point is P0303, because that points directly at cylinder #3. You may have other problems too, but P0303 is absolutely the place to start. Are you still getting the P0303 code, or did that go away (and stay away) when you replaced plugs and wires?
I replaced the sparkplug on cylinder 3, haven't gotten that code since.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I replaced the sparkplug on cylinder 3, haven't gotten that code since.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts