Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I have a 03 eclipse GT.

Problem: After my intake was put on about a month ago, the check engine light came on after a week.

Possible causes: My aem short ram intake kit came and the mass air flow was the same size with the filter, so I bought the coupler to put in between to connect two. one day, after the coupler got real hot and the filter came off right after I stopped at the light. I didn't know until I drove the car back home which was 5 min away. Ever since, the car rev on its own and sometimes when it's worse, the car would shake really bad. I took it in the shop and was told to replace the mass air sensor( I also bought the new filter to fit directly over the mass air flow and nicely secured the intake).

Should I take it to the dealer to get second opinion and buy a sensor from auto zone and put on myself, or leave to TirePlus to do everthing for $500+

Anyone have the same problem or have any input, please help me out, greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sounds like there's a vacuum leak. I would try pulling the intake off and reinstalling it before replacing parts and spending money. Chances are something is loose. You may have even damaged the intake when it got hot. Just pull it apart, look it over, put it back together and see how it works. Maybe try to reset the ECU if your still having problems before shelling out hundreds of dollars.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Pesonally, I would clean the probe that hangs down inside the MAS with electronics cleaner then reinstall the intake making sure everything was snug and that there were no air leaks. Also, verify that the MAS wiring harness was plugged back in and that it is on the left side of the intake (if not your MAS is on backwards). Then I would reset the ECU and let the car idle for 20mins.

What is/was the SES code?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
everything is tide, and what you mean by MAS needs to be on the left side of the intake. by reset the ECU you meant disconnect the battery and resart the computer right?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
The MAS has a connector that plugs into its left side. Make sure it is plugged in. If your connector is on the right side of the MAS then you installed the MAS backwards and you ned to remove and reinstall correctly.

Yes, disconnecting the battery for 10+ minutes will reset the ECU. Once that is done the ECU will need to relearn idle. Just start the car and let it idle for 15-20mins before you drive it. The idle may start out rough but it should get better and better. After 15-20mins it should be done learning and the idle should be sitting around 700-800RPM.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
if it was on the wrong side, would it be damaged by the driving i did all this time?
I highly doubt it. It would just be sending incorrect readings to your ECU which would cause the car to run like shit and trigger the SES light to light up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First of all just want to thank you for your help, second, I took a look of the set up it is on the right side, But it seems like it is the right way with the way MAS is made.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Your MAS is backwards. I believe the cone filter should be attached the the silver colored adapter (which is actually bolted to the front of your mas already). Easy fix!! :woot:

With future installs be sure to take your time. One thing that I found helpful was using a digicam to take before and after pics. That helped me verify that the sensors were plugged into the right locations, facing the right direction, etc. Or find a copy of the online FSM which will tell you damn near everything related to this car. Its got so much info that its almost intimidating :)

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
yep mas is on backwards. basically it is telling the computer that air is leaving the engine and not entering, but that gets a screwed up since it is reversed. the honeycomb portion of the mas should point torwards the filter. This straightens the air as it passes thru the MAS to get a propper reading of how much air is there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys for the help, I am going to fix i tomorrow. so funny, tire plus didn't figure out the problem.

one more thing, do you think this reversed install would damage anything at all.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
thanks guys for the help, I am going to fix i tomorrow. so funny, tire plus didn't figure out the problem.

one more thing, do you think this reversed install would damage anything at all.
Unless tire plus deals with a lot of 3G Eclipses, I wouldn't expect them to figure it out...I doubt it would hurt anything...it wouldn't be much different than if the sensor stopped working and needed to be replaced...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts