Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, I am having trouble installing these headers on my 2.4 RS. The flange on the header is different than the flange on the downpipe. The downpipe has two pipes going up to the manifold (Fed Spec i believe). Heres what it looks like....this pic was posted on a diff thread but I have the same one so..

Pic of the header is http://www.meganracing.com/uploadImage/regular/Header-Eclipse-00.GIF

Should I just go to a muffler shop and have them make custom downpipe? How much would this cost? Any help would be appreciated, thanks

·
I'm Working On It...
1,002 Posts
Alright, I am having trouble installing these headers on my 2.4 RS. The flange on the header is different than the flange on the downpipe. The downpipe has two pipes going up to the manifold (Fed Spec i believe). Heres what it looks like....this pic was posted on a diff thread but I have the same one so..

Pic of the header is http://www.meganracing.com/uploadImage/regular/Header-Eclipse-00.GIF

Should I just go to a muffler shop and have them make custom downpipe? How much would this cost? Any help would be appreciated, thanks
Is your car a fed spec? if so I think you may have bought a header that wont fit.

·
I'm Working On It...
1,002 Posts
ok I just re-read your post. Its your first post so I know you havn't researched headers for your car on these boards yet..

your car is a fed spec and the header you bought is for a cali spec car.

the difference between the two cars is the exhaust setup do to emmission standards. is there a threaded hole in the header for an 02 sensor? If there is your car (if it is a fed spec) doesn't have a 02 sensor to go in that hole.

not only will you have to have a custom downpipe made, but you will have to have that hole plugged somehow.

you may have also gotten a fed spec header for a cali spec car. either way its the wrong header.

·
Selling turbo kit!!!
618 Posts
Or you could do what i had to do with my turbo build, and cut the pipe right where it goes from 2 to 1 right before the flexpipe and weld in a single pipe peice and use the flange off your stock catback. if you havnt changed catbacks yet just buy the flange. I think this would be your easiest solution.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought that same header, i custom made a pipe that fit, it isn't too hard... i will post a pic of it... leakless.
Edit: I might even be able to make one for you, all you do is use the 3 bolts that come in the package with it, and weld it to your flex hose. if interested you can PM me, i can have one made in a day or 2, i used 3" pipe on mine and cut a chunk of my flex hose off because my flex hose is 3" if you want one tell me and i can probably make it for you for $20 without shipping

·
Appalachian State
1,574 Posts
You best be returning that header soon! Well maybe not since you took it out of the box and tried to install it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I havent even tried to install it, i had a flange made for it and then noticed the 2 downpipes, so it hasnt even been touched yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I talked with a Megan rep today and they said that they are coming out with an exhaust system some time this March or May for the 2.4L. I was thinkin if i can get this header to work out I could wait for that exhaust system to come out and get the matching exhaust to go with the header. My other option would be to go to a muffler shop and get a custom one made and have the cat cut off. I live in Michigan so its not like we have to pass inspection :bigthumb:
What are your thoughts on this situation? Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'll post a pic up when i get home tonight, can't take pics while im at school because i lost my liscense, anyways, when get home tonight i will take some pics...

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I talked with a Megan rep today and they said that they are coming out with an exhaust system some time this March or May for the 2.4L. I was thinkin if i can get this header to work out I could wait for that exhaust system to come out and get the matching exhaust to go with the header. My other option would be to go to a muffler shop and get a custom one made and have the cat cut off. I live in Michigan so its not like we have to pass inspection :bigthumb:
What are your thoughts on this situation? Thanks
My thoughts...see if you can return the header or sell it to someone with a Cali-spec...or see if you can find a Cali-spec mid-pipe (the part that goes between the header and the cat-back). If you do keep that header, you'll need to buy a plug for the O2 bung, but it gives you a nice place to install a wide-band down the road if you plan on getting into much tuning. Still, I'd just try and get out of that one and pick up a DC Sports header, a CMF header if you can find one, or wait until the Megan system is developed and just hold on to that header instead of trying to have something fabbed up...just my thoughts as requested...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey I appreciate the suggestions, I will try and look for a cali spec downpipe. Any idea on where I could find one?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Hey I appreciate the suggestions, I will try and look for a cali spec downpipe. Any idea on where I could find one?
Junk yard or someone parting out a Cali-spec RS or GS...:bigthumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts