Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 GS Manual
Hello im new to club 3g and have a problem, hopefully someone can help, still havnt been able to fix it.
Car was fine turned it on one morning and it started misfiring and sputtering bad around 4k rpm, almost like if i had a 2 step on, ive replaced ckp, cmp, O2s, Maf, coils, plugs and wires, i have no cat, fuel press is good and injectors are clean, checked timing and its good. I used to have a random miss code and o2sensor code but both went away once new o2 sensor was installed. Car idles ok very fee mis here and there but under acceleration wot or easy it sputters and pop really bad around 4k rpms.
Things ima do next are egr delete, and looking maybe into the knock sensor any other ideas i will gladly appreciate it. Im in a very rural island in alaska and have taken about 1 year just to get the car to where it is now because of of how long it takes to get parts here. HELP!!! Lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Compression is good, whats weird to me to me is that it was good one day next morning went to start it and it was mest up, so i feel like its something electrical but so far the obvious it hasnt been it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Haz, I feel your pain. Mine gets random misfires that come and go ever since I had the timing belt replaced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems like you're throwing a lot of money into the thing for nothing. An Alaskan car you say? I'd start with inspecting and cleaning all the grounds in the engine bay.
So its a Florida car i drove it all the way Trough canada To Homer, Ak put it on ferry to get to dutch harbor and once i got here it still drove great gor about another months as if its loosing its will to live lol but its hotta be electrical its what im thinking, grounds are good, did restance checks on most of the wiring the wiring

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i had a code for random misfire and o2sensor whch both went away after i replaced the upstream sensor

·
Here for the drama
151 Posts
So its a Florida car i drove it all the way Trough canada To Homer, Ak put it on ferry to get to dutch harbor and once i got here it still drove great gor about another months as if its loosing its will to live lol but its hotta be electrical its what im thinking, grounds are good, did restance checks on most of the wiring the wiring
I had to look up where Dutch harbor, AK was and.. Holy crap you’re way out there! You’re almost touching Russia! Lol
Hello from California!
Anyway. Check for rodent damage in your harness or cracks/ breaks where the wires leave your connectors for important metering devices, also make sure your intake manifold isn’t cracked below or separated from the throttle body. You’re going through extreme heat and cold cycles and that can cause cracks letting unmetered air passed the MAF. (Check intake hose too)
If it can happen out here it can happen out there with your extreme temps.
Good luck!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Makes me wonder if it's a cracked intake behind the throttle body causing a vacuum leak. Seen that a few times but not sure if that would be enough to cause a misfire.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Makes me wonder if it's a cracked intake behind the throttle body causing a vacuum leak. Seen that a few times but not sure if that would be enough to cause a misfire.
Yeah so i have no vaccum leaks right, look around the manifold everything is good. So our map sensor and baro sensors ima look into those, checked the egr and yesterday and cleaned it, was worried maybe it was getting stuck open or something but its good

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Correct if im wrong on the 2.4 the MAP is the sensor on the top of the intake mani, and the intake temp, mass air and baro are all in the same housing forward of the intake

·
Here for the drama
151 Posts
Double check the fuel pressure regulator for me. Hopefully fuel doesn’t come out of the vacuum hose that means it’s not regulating correctly

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Double checked the fuel press changed it for another one extra i had, drove around for awhile and finally got a code to pop after 1hour of driving p0172 for system too rich, i have good fuel pressure but something is causing my engine to run rich like i said i drove it here from virginia and still drive it here in AK for a month so im hoping that code can get me somewhere car is still misfiring and popping out the tailpipe real bad at 4k Rpm

·
Here for the drama
151 Posts
Hmmm..
How tech savvy are you when it comes to automotive tools? I can keep giving you suggestions forever but that doesn’t mean anything if the numbers aren’t adding up. I’m getting to the point to where you may need to pick up a vacuum gauge or look at your live data and send me a video.
That being said: you’re combusting well at idle but your combustion process is not ideal at high rpm, which leads me to think that there’s not enough air/ compression, spark or gap, or there’s a leaking injector. You could also have a flat spot on the cam or have a defective cam position sensor as well.
What kind of plugs do you have in there? Factory ngk? Send a photo of them all out of the engine. I want to see how black they are.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cam and crank, plugs,wires,coils packs are new, spark plug gap is between .39-.43 like the manual says i set them at .40

1 - 20 of 27 Posts