Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago, my transmission in my 2003 Eclipse GTS went out, sheared teeth off the spider gears, bearing in the differential went out, idler gear froze up, and it started jerking so bad that it broke all my mounts on the way to the Dealership. I knew all this was coming because when I'd let out on the clutch in neutral, you could hear a rattle in the transmission. My car has 46,000 miles on it, and the Warranty is good til 50,000 miles, the dealership tore it down, and told me the warranty would not cover it because it was due to abuse, yet could not tell me how they came up with that conclusion. When I got on the phone with Mitsubishi Motors of North America, they told me the same they, I even went and hired a lawyer who in turn did not charge me, but informed me that Mitsubishi has their own 3rd party Arbitration department, National Center for Dispute Settlement. So I called them, requested the Application, and filed for arbitration. Yesterday Mitsubishi Called my wife wanting to settle, They are now replacing the transmission and mounts in my car, Getting us a rental until the car is fixed, and reimbursing us for the rental we had earlier in the month. I know mitsubishi tries to screw alot of people on their warranty, so here is the number for the Arbitration.... 866-937-3765, I don't want to see mitsubishi screwing anyone else, 4,000 dollars is too much for a transmission, best of luck:twothumb:

·
Um... Yeah!?
32,055 Posts
:twothumb:

·
Subaru Driver
1,656 Posts
Noice. It's always good when the big company helps out the little guys, even if it does take a little nudging.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have the same problem

i have the same rattling sound on my 03gt. never went to dealership though because i know thet are going to say the same bull reason. thank you for the info, now im going to do what you did. wish me luck!!! hehehe

·
Registered
43 Posts
warranty:what shoul i do first?

today, i went to Aamco transmissions. they are doing free trans diagnosis. im expecting them to see the problem like this one has www.deadeclipse.com . what is the next best step? call mitsu customer relations at 1-888-mitsu-2002 or call the NAtional Center for Dispute Settlement at 1-866-937-3765? help me!!!!!

·
mumbles the madman
242 Posts
I blew my diff last summer on my 00GT manual and recently tore it down to see why. It definitely blew cuz i am extremely abusive to it most of the time. However I have a friend who is graduating this year with his BS in Mechanical Engineering and he showed me the difference between the teeth that broke because of a defect and the teeth that broke because of the abuse. It turns out that the pinions wear out and round off then the side gears start snapping off due to defects in the metal that they are made of.

Of course maybe if i never beat on it :loser: the pinions wouldnt round off so much in the first place.

·
Registered
461 Posts
today, i went to Aamco transmissions. they are doing free trans diagnosis. im expecting them to see the problem like this one has www.deadeclipse.com . what is the next best step? call mitsu customer relations at 1-888-mitsu-2002 or call the NAtional Center for Dispute Settlement at 1-866-937-3765? help me!!!!!
I dunno that website seems like that guy had a lemon... it rusted within 1 year WTF? maybe he like oxygenated it or something.. seems a little bogus to me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Actually I had a lot of the same problems this guy had on my 2003 GS. I had my rotors turned three times the first year because they kept warping and finally had them replaced. In fact I still need to replace them again at 60,000 because I've had them turned 4 times over the last few years. I had rust under the hood at the weld points within the first year, mistu told me there is nothing they can do about it, normal wear and tear, but doesn't seem to be spreading. Had the hood latch replaced because it rusted solid in the first two years. Had the roof repainted after a rust spot started to bubble up under the paint the first year. Had both door handles repainted after they experienced discoloration as blue blotches started to form over the black paint. Battery replaced after first year because it started to leak. Recently had my master and slave clutch cylinders replaced at 55,000 miles because of similar problems this guy is having, hard to shift to first/second and reverse when within first 30 mins of driving. Had to pay for that one because they said the slave and master cylinders weren't considered part of the power train (70,000 miles). My dash has cracked down the center, along the sides, and the center console from the sun, kinda weird. At 60,000 my hood and trunk hood both are experiencing blotches in the paint, making it look like a car that has sat in a junk yard for 10 years. Wow, come to think of it, I've had a ton of problems with my car, but for some reason, still love it. Hummm, go figure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey wassup im luis and I recently bought a 01 eclipse rs with the 4G64 engine on it I really love my car but i want to get faster I have already installed an AEM cold air intake system a DCSPORTS muffler and some headers but whats an affordable way to get more ponies out of my engine?? or where can I tune my ECU in Arizona any help will be really apreciated

·
Shut up.
3,700 Posts
hey wassup im luis and I recently bought a 01 eclipse rs with the 4G64 engine on it I really love my car but i want to get faster I have already installed an AEM cold air intake system a DCSPORTS muffler and some headers but whats an affordable way to get more ponies out of my engine?? or where can I tune my ECU in Arizona any help will be really apreciated
:lmfao:

·
3G World Traveler
243 Posts
starting to be a hater.

Actually I had a lot of the same problems this guy had on my 2003 GS. I had my rotors turned three times the first year because they kept warping and finally had them replaced. In fact I still need to replace them again at 60,000 because I've had them turned 4 times over the last few years. I had rust under the hood at the weld points within the first year, mistu told me there is nothing they can do about it, normal wear and tear, but doesn't seem to be spreading. Had the hood latch replaced because it rusted solid in the first two years. Had the roof repainted after a rust spot started to bubble up under the paint the first year. Had both door handles repainted after they experienced discoloration as blue blotches started to form over the black paint. Battery replaced after first year because it started to leak. Recently had my master and slave clutch cylinders replaced at 55,000 miles because of similar problems this guy is having, hard to shift to first/second and reverse when within first 30 mins of driving. Had to pay for that one because they said the slave and master cylinders weren't considered part of the power train (70,000 miles). My dash has cracked down the center, along the sides, and the center console from the sun, kinda weird. At 60,000 my hood and trunk hood both are experiencing blotches in the paint, making it look like a car that has sat in a junk yard for 10 years. Wow, come to think of it, I've had a ton of problems with my car, but for some reason, still love it. Hummm, go figure.
I have a 2003 RS..it has 52,230mi on it..original. I am the first owner. Since I've had my car, it's not been driven too much. In this 52k+ miles..I've replaced the master and slave cyl twice, the clutch twice (from OEM to OEM to ACT now) my head needs a rebuild due to a bent valve, and the differential exploded causing a hole in the case of my tranny. I've come to find out that 2000-2002 2.4L tranny's are rebuildable and do not bolt to 03`+..and the 2003-2005 is not only non-rebuildable..they glue them together so that if you try you destroy the tranny in the process of opening it. The cost of a new one before tax is $2975. In Oklahoma the tax bumps that figure to $3224. Just the part itself. The differential is non removable so an LSD is out of the question too. Seriously, what the fuck were they thinking? This car is built from leftovers..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts