Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Black2kRS
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i apologize if this thread is in the wrong section.

just curious if you guys think this deal is worth getting?

The bare Head, Stock cams w/ cam gears, stock valve springs, stock valve cover, rocker arms, stock hardware, stock fuel rail, stock injectors, stock throttlebody, stock intake manifold all from the '06 evo

its the '06 evo mivec head. this brings up another question...
i dont mind if Mivec is not operational but will the head bolt on to our block?
i apologize if it seems that i have not used the search buttom but the search ignores "9, IX" says its too short of a word.
the only thing ive seen was this from 00TampaBlueGS

The first site I decided to join in my quest for knowledge. Their vBulletin based forum bears a lot of similarities to ours, so I immediately felt somewhat "at home". I planned to just build my posts in hopes of finding a suitable EVO head for sale(I believe it's the VIII and IX that synchs up? ), but I found myself impressed with the way the site was run. Also, those Evo guys know their stuff!! A week into exploring, I decided to introduce myself and announce my intentions much like I did in this post.
thanks for your time

·
Psychotic
941 Posts
i apologize if this thread is in the wrong section.

just curious if you guys think this deal is worth getting?

The bare Head, Stock cams w/ cam gears, stock valve springs, stock valve cover, rocker arms, stock hardware, stock fuel rail, stock injectors, stock throttlebody, stock intake manifold all from the '06 evo

its the '06 evo mivec head. this brings up another question...
i dont mind if Mivec is not operational but will the head bolt on to our block?
i apologize if it seems that i have not used the search buttom but the search ignores "9, IX" says its too short of a word.
the only thing ive seen was this from 00TampaBlueGS

thanks for your time
Well you can get one for 800 here in LA non mivec. soooo not worth it

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Here is a question for you... How are you going to drive the mivec? Let's not even start to think about the electrical issues you need to sort out so you have an ECU that will read the 2nd CAM sensor...

Let's just talk about how are you going to deliver oil to the MIVEC cam? You do realize that it's oil pressure that makes the physical adjustment to the cam right?

Let me put it to you this way, if your car didn't come with MIVEC, it's not worth trying to get installed as that $1250 for the head will rocket to over $2500 pretty quickly to get everything else you need.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Oh, and yes... The MIVEC head WILL bolt up but if you dare run the MIVEC cam w/o oil pressure.... Disaster will ensue.

·
Psychotic
941 Posts
you have or know someone who is selling a complete head along with TB and fuel rail for $800? or is it just the the complete head?

Just the head and valve train nothing else.

you can get the TB on socalevo and the fuel rail as well

are you on socal3g.com?

there is a mitsu only junk yard in sun valley and a friend of mine got his for $800

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
^ Not so fast, it will probably not bolt up as SBR is saying on evom that they have 2 different versions of the 4g64 blocks for the evo8 and 9.
Dude... I've worked on more 4G63 engines than probably anyone on this site and maybe even everyone on the site combined. Trust me when I say it will BOLT up. That doesn't mean that it will work for the reasons I stated above. ALL 4G63 heads share the same bolt pattern, which as a coincidence is the same as the 4G64 which is what allows the swap in the first place.

The reason for SBR having 2 different blocks is the accessories that attach to the block. EVO VIII and IX have different oil filter housings, water pipes, waterneck housings, water pumps and misc hardware. The reason for this is so that you can fit in the MIVEC equipment. The blocks though, are still identical.

·
Zero Resistance, LLC
1,948 Posts
Controlling the mivec wont be a problem. It's not like you'll need an additional oil feed for the mivec cam, it's all internal. Swap the stock 3g rs/gs ecu connectors with the stock gt/gts connectors. Then plug that shit into the evo9 ecu. Run the necessary missing wires like for the mivec solenoid or whatever and there you go.

$1250 is a great deal for everything that was listed.

·
Black2kRS
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here is a question for you... How are you going to drive the mivec? Let's not even start to think about the electrical issues you need to sort out so you have an ECU that will read the 2nd CAM sensor...

Let's just talk about how are you going to deliver oil to the MIVEC cam? You do realize that it's oil pressure that makes the physical adjustment to the cam right?

Let me put it to you this way, if your car didn't come with MIVEC, it's not worth trying to get installed as that $1250 for the head will rocket to over $2500 pretty quickly to get everything else you need.
As I stated in the intial post I would'nt mind if the MIVEC is not operational.

My concern is, even though its a MIVEC head, will it still be operational as it would with the NonMIVEC evo 8 head?

Oh, and yes... The MIVEC head WILL bolt up but if you dare run the MIVEC cam w/o oil pressure.... Disaster will ensue.
So according to this quote im assuming it is possible to do the swap without the MIVEC capability and in order to do so is to use the evo 8 cams?

thanks for your info

·
Black2kRS
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Controlling the mivec wont be a problem. It's not like you'll need an additional oil feed for the mivec cam, it's all internal. Swap the stock 3g rs/gs ecu connectors with the stock gt/gts connectors. Then plug that shit into the evo9 ecu. Run the necessary missing wires like for the mivec solenoid or whatever and there you go.

One of the reason I have not been active on the boards after a year of being a member is to try to avoid asking NOOB questions so I've been taking in information. Also the fact that everyone seems to contradict each other so its hard to find the true answer.

If the swap to make the MIVEC working is as tough as PharmEcis states then I won't need to hassle with getting the MIVEC to work.
On the other hand, if its as simple as Flash states then I might go that route.

I know both of them are very respected experienced members so all the info im given is considered and thanked.

·
Black2kRS
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just the head and valve train nothing else.

you can get the TB on socalevo and the fuel rail as well

are you on socal3g.com?

there is a mitsu only junk yard in sun valley and a friend of mine got his for $800
thanks for the info, if I do need extra or replacement Mit. parts ill have to check that out. so where exactly is it and what is the place called?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
lol just Flashes suggestion alone proves that 2500 dollar skyrocket price. You guys know the mivec ecu has 3 high octane maps to tune. OMG what a headache....

·
Registered
1,690 Posts

Just to avoid any confusion...are you saying that our 4G64 block does have the provisions to provide oil to the MIVEC system (assuming you wire up the solenoid of course)? I understand it is all internal, I was just wondering if there was an extra oil port on the head (or something to that nature...kind of like the problem with running Chevy 350 heads on a SB 400 - no steam holes in that example) that provided the feed for the MIVEC control...or is it just tapped off of an oil circuit within the head itself? If Pharm says it won't work, I'm usually a firm believer, but it's one of those "1/2 a dozen to one, six to the other" situations with you in the mix as well... :bigthumb: I know to go to Pharm for turbo questions, and I know to go to you for ECUFlash questions...but MIVEC...:scratch:

·
Zero Resistance, LLC
1,948 Posts
I highly doubt mitsu would change the block to accommodate the head. Go to who ever you want for info, doesn't mean it's correct. I personally don't listen to anyone unless they have done the work they are talking about. No one here is going to be able to give 100% accurate advice on a mivec swap because no one has done it. But i know it can be done and it's not rocket science.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I highly doubt mitsu would change the block to accommodate the head. Go to who ever you want for info, doesn't mean it's correct. I personally don't listen to anyone unless they have done the work they are talking about. No one here is going to be able to give 100% accurate advice on a mivec swap because no one has done it. But i know it can be done and it's not rocket science.
Sounds good to me...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
How MIVEC works starts at 7:30 if anyone wasn't familiar with it. It's demonstrated on the new 4B11. It's a completely different motor, but MIVEC works the same. Also, the evo9 only has mivec on the intake cam, not both.
Sweet...good explanation there! One thing to look into for the OP if he's still considering this, the 4B11 engine in that video uses a timing chain instead of a timing belt, so at the very least a different crank sprocket would be in order as well...:bigthumb:

·
Zero Resistance, LLC
1,948 Posts
Sweet...good explanation there! One thing to look into for the OP if he's still considering this, the 4B11 engine in that video uses a timing chain instead of a timing belt, so at the very least a different crank sprocket would be in order as well...:bigthumb:
No. I knew that was going to happen. The evo9 is belt driven, not chain. Just like the evo8, eclipse, and every other mitsu i can think of. Ignore everything in that video up until 7 minutes and 30 seconds.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts