Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. Well Ive been back and forth on the phone with my dealer about 2 08 Evo's there getting next week. Well I was just think since the new Evo's are so electronically complex do you think you will be able to tune them just like the old Evo's? Im going to be going for the Ralliart model which most likely has the same ECU. Only mods I plan on doing are bumping up the boost with a MBC, getting a intake system, hard intercooler pipes and a catback depending on how the stock one is designed. Im just wondering how the ECU is going to react to the mods. Anyone know anything about the ECU? Now i know some people are going to say go piggyback but Id rather have something like ECUFlash instead of having the piggyback fight the ECU. A standalone EMS wouldn't be a suggestion since the car will still be underwarranty.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is all Ive got so far:

Engine tuning will be a challenge with the new MR, as the ECU and TCU are intimately connected. Until the engine-transmission interactions are well understood in the aftermarket, engine tuners are likely to prefer the basic Evo with the 5-speed.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EVO's are so headfirst in the modding dept, I am sure ECUflash will be supporting the ECU's as soon as the programmers can work it all out. It will probably be handled with the same software.

Here is a discussion thread about the EVO X ecu specifically
How long to hack the X ecu? - evolutionm.net
I really hope they can get the software to work out as I want to avoid stand alone EMS and a piggyback.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am just wanted to know if anyone knew anything over here.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The new Evo X is responding very nicely to new mods. You guys have to take a look at this exhaust, I never thought a I4 could sound so mean.

ECUFlash for the Evo X is in the very near future. Heres a shop that squeezed out over 70whp from just tuning the STOCK car.

In fact, today's results show that a tuned Evo X (with no additional bolt-on parts) makes as much power to the wheels as a tuned Evo IX with a full exhaust (dp+highflow cat+ cat-back). And that's just for starters. I'm sure the X will benefit from exhaust upgrades as well as additional tuning. Right now, peak boost is set to 23psi, tapering down to just 15psi by 7000rpm. There's a little bit still left in there.

All dyno testing was conducted on a Mustang Dyno at Full Function (Full Function: Home). Baseline was 215whp and 240lbft of torque. Basically right in line with what has been reported by others. Of course, this was on a motor with just 200 miles so I suspect it would have picked up some more hp as it broke in. For comparison, stock Evo IXs do a bit better with approx 220whp/235lbft.

But once boost, fuel and timing were adjusted, we saw a repeatable 285-290whp and 290-295lbft of torque. For comparison, Tuned Evo IXs end up making 270-275whp and 280-290lbft of torque on the same dyno. This is on straight 91oct.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts