Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before anybody says it, I've already used the search feature to find this subject; but it ended up finding nothing close to what I'm looking for sooo....

I recall a while ago seeing a thread that somebody made where they modified the stock header heatshield to fit over an aftermarket header to retain the "stock" look. Does anybody possibly recall the thread or even might have the link? Thanks!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Even if he DID want a "sleeper," once he pops the hood, if he has done any major modifications, then people would see it. A true sleeper does not simply have i/h/e... or just mods in the block. A real sleeper is essentially just a stock exterior that makes it seem as though there have not been any modifications done to it. As for the heat shield, I don't remember seeing any posts like that. If the stock shield doesn't fit, don't use it. It would just depend on how much work would have to be done to keep the look, but either way, if someone knows what they're looking for, they'll see it; Whether you try to hide it or not.. Just remember to keep your engine bay clean, and that's all that matters IMO.

·
Lift and Separate
2,259 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily consider a NA 3G with headers a "sleeper", because I'm sure it's plenty loud. The adversary will no doubt know it's modified before the hood ever opens. I'd show off the headers if I were you. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeah, seriously..... Just keep the body kit simple, or don't get one at all. Then mod the fuck out of the engine and blow that noob ricer off the road!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never said I wanted a sleeper look. The main thing is that if for example your getting a visual inspection, true it will be loud so the cop will automatically suspect something; but if they see the OEM heatshield and not some shiny or ceramic coated header with no heatshield then chances are they wont think twice about it.

Also with a heat shield over the header all that excess heat wont heat up the hood that one might have on their car be it the stock one or a CF hood and warp it due to heat.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I never said I wanted a sleeper look. The main thing is that if for example your getting a visual inspection, true it will be loud so the cop will automatically suspect something; but if they see the OEM heatshield and not some shiny or ceramic coated header with no heatshield then chances are they wont think twice about it.

Also with a heat shield over the header all that excess heat wont heat up the hood that one might have on their car be it the stock one or a CF hood and warp it due to heat.
I wasn't aware that Headers we're illegal? Let alone the chances of you being pulled over, and the cop making you pop your hood, they'd probably just blame it on your exhaust

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ahm, yeah dude..... headers aren't illegal at all... and having an aftermarket exhaust isn't either. They can't test whether or not it's "50-state legal" or not; They have no way of doing it. As for the cop making you pop your hood, I've NEVER heard of anyone doing that. Also, if you search, there is a post about how much aftermarket headers heat up the engine bay. There is no danger to your car unless something bad happens to the headers, or they just weren't installed properly. They also mention that wrapping the headers MAY (may being the operative word) be bad for them because they hold the moisture in, and cause it to rust quicker. I myself have not researched that, so I'm not sure if it is true or not. Anyway, just get over it... pop on the headers, throw away the shield, and shut the hood.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I wasn't aware that Headers we're illegal? Let alone the chances of you being pulled over, and the cop making you pop your hood, they'd probably just blame it on your exhaust
It depends on where you live and what header you have I would imagine. In California, for example, all parts must be approved by the California Air Resource Board (CARB). I haven't heard of any cops checking under the hood of a car before though...most cops wouldn't know what to look for, or know how to prove the part wasn't legal.

For the OP...if you're worried about heat, header wrap will do much more for you than a heat shield. Another problem you might run into, depending on what header you have, is that the Cali-spec cars had the first cat just below the heat shield, so you'd need to take the "covers" off the cat and form them around your header as well to complete the look...depending on where you live though, the sound output of your exhaust might be more of a reason for a cop to give you a ticket than just having a header installed...:ugh2:

·
Registered
163 Posts
the fact that he lives in cali and its not SMOG Legal, and if an officer pulls him over and sees the headers and goes "thats not stock" now he has to take them off put his stock back on and go see the rep.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Ahm, yeah dude..... headers aren't illegal at all... and having an aftermarket exhaust isn't either. They can't test whether or not it's "50-state legal" or not; They have no way of doing it. As for the cop making you pop your hood, I've NEVER heard of anyone doing that. Also, if you search, there is a post about how much aftermarket headers heat up the engine bay. There is no danger to your car unless something bad happens to the headers, or they just weren't installed properly. They also mention that wrapping the headers MAY (may being the operative word) be bad for them because they hold the moisture in, and cause it to rust quicker. I myself have not researched that, so I'm not sure if it is true or not. Anyway, just get over it... pop on the headers, throw away the shield, and shut the hood.
I haven't lived in Cali since 1994, so I checked the CARB website. Unless aftermarket parts have undergone an ARB engineering evaluation, they will not have a CARB Executive Order as stated below:

Catalytic Converter Equipped Vehicles

Headers for use on catalytic converter equipped vehicles require an Executive Order to be legal for street use.

Background Material: Replacement Parts Guidelines - Aftermarket, Performance and Add-On Parts Regulations

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup Basically here in California the smog laws blow to put it lightly. And no company has made a header or header (for you V6 guys) that are CARB approved so its a pain in the ass over here when it comes to that and so we have to resort to hiding the mods instead.

I've looked into having them wrapped but I've heard that in the long run its not a good idea because the wrap will eventually cause the piping to rust or corrode.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Yup Basically here in California the smog laws blow to put it lightly. And no company has made a header or header (for you V6 guys) that are CARB approved so its a pain in the ass over here when it comes to that and so we have to resort to hiding the mods instead.

I've looked into having them wrapped but I've heard that in the long run its not a good idea because the wrap will eventually cause the piping to rust or corrode.
I know how Cali can be...I was born and raised there...I didn't know the cops could actually give you a citation for it (I thought it would just be an issue during annual inspections)...so would you have to carry a copy of the CARB EO in the glove box then for any parts that are legal?

As for the header wrap, I've heard that about the rust, but I guess one way to look at it is which would you rather do: have the extra underhood temp, or lower the tempand maybe have to get a new header in 5-7 years if you still have the car then (just a guess on the time frame)...:ugh2:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Interesting... Executive Order, huh??? So, would someone explain what exactly what is, and how to go about getting one? Not like I need one, but still.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Interesting... Executive Order, huh??? So, would someone explain what exactly what is, and how to go about getting one? Not like I need one, but still.
Subject Top Page: Aftermarket, Performance and Add-On Parts

It's up to the manufacturer to have the parts certified...I don't think you could take a part that someone else made and file for an EO. There are three different forms the manufacturer would have to choose from (depending on whether it's a general part, a compliance part, or a turbocharger/supercharger...general parts don't affect emissions systems, compliance parts do). If it's a compliance part or a turbocharger/supercharger, actual testing has to be done as well by a qualified independent laboratory on a test vehicle (supplied by the manufacturer), and further CARB confirmatory testing may be required as well...that's why a lot of companies don't get the certification...it's a pretty in-depth process...:loser:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
dont wrap the headers, moisture collects and the heated strips will cause the headers to crack. Ceramic coat them If you really have to do anything
It would depend on a lot of variables (local average humidity, quality of the metal used, thickness of the tubing walls, etc.)...I wrapped the pipes on my old Harley without any issues what-so-ever...granted, it wasn't inside an engine compartment, but we get a lot of humidity here...:bigthumb:

·
Banned
4,408 Posts
It would depend on a lot of variables (local average humidity, quality of the metal used, thickness of the tubing walls, etc.)...I wrapped the pipes on my old Harley without any issues what-so-ever...granted, it wasn't inside an engine compartment, but we get a lot of humidity here...:bigthumb:
most Aftermarket 3g headers are shitty material. I would not trust the thickness.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Before anybody says it, I've already used the search feature to find this subject; but it ended up finding nothing close to what I'm looking for sooo....

I recall a while ago seeing a thread that somebody made where they modified the stock header heatshield to fit over an aftermarket header to retain the "stock" look. Does anybody possibly recall the thread or even might have the link? Thanks!
I modified the OEM front heat shield to fit over headers! Unlike most, I wasn't interested in showing them.

This is for the GT, all I did was use threaded rod that fit into the OEM openings & attached nuts to draw the shield down.

Reason for threaded rod? The aftermarket headers are larger than OEM, Hence the rod.
Reason for doing this was to try & keep as much heat pointed down rather than invading the engine compartment!

Hope this helps? :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts